U2 album stunt on iTunes backfires. Should we be worried for M under Guy O'?

Jamesy

please.....now stating that they are totally overrated or that never wrote a good song is at least stupid....

they were one of the greates band ever until Zooropa...then i agree, they became quite boring, bono lose his voice, and they became really irritating with their attitude "we'll save the world, you have to help the poor nation while we save our massive fortune moving it from our adored ireland to holland or anywere we pay the less taxes....", but not acknowledging the greatness of joshua tree or achtung baby..... :spankmonkey:

Sorry, but some atittude here towards U2 remind me to some stupid people who say the same about Madonna. "They are old" "Their time is passed" "I only like them years ago", bla bla bla.

They have a MASSIVE fanbase and fill venues. They have been there for decades. And they deserve respect.

Just because a band have been around a long time and have a mass fanbase doesn't mean they deserve respect and that somehow makes them good. I mean, look at your Kylie.

U2 long since sunk into complacency and should have done the good thing like the infinitely superior R.E.M. and called it a day ages ago. Hate their shitty oppressive overblown stadium rock and Bono is an unbelievable cunt.

Just because a band have been around a long time and have a mass fanbase doesn't mean they deserve respect and that somehow makes them good. I mean, look at your Kylie.

Thankyou.

People who are telling others they're stupid because they don't share the same opinion is a lazy and predictable response. I just don't like their music and have never understood why they've received the gigantuan level of adoration from so many. It's completely baffling to me...but many have said the same about M, so I suppose It's all just a difference of opinion.

U2 are one of the greats, no matter how many refuse to admit it. They have released amazing albums and many classic songs, they have had multiple peaks in their career (much like Madonna) and they are incredible live. Their tours haven't grossed all this money by accident. Their current position is similar to that of the Rolling Stones in the late stage of their career. The Rolling Stones released their last truly great album some time at the late 70s but they remained a force for three more decades. I'm sure many people will say similar things about them, they never did it for me, they are boring, I can only name a couple of their songs and that's it, etc etc. That doesn't mean that they are shit, hugely overrated and completely worthless.

I understand some people may have never liked U2. That's fine. However, why should they stop or retire now? That's ridiculous and disappointing coming from Madonna fans of all people. It's sad how dismissive people are of others after they reach a certain age. U2 (and Madonna) would practically have to reinvent the wheel (AGAIN) to garner respect of some, simply because they didn't stop at their "peak" and the fact that (oh the horror) we are seeing them age and it freaks some of us the fuck out perhaps because WE are next in line to "get old". Your welcome for your Sunday morning armchair therapy session. :) Seriously though, almost all acts get the "they should've just stopped years ago" reaction when they decide to continue making music and performing after a certain age. Barring this last album, much like Madonna, their last album was among the top selling in the world the year of its release and of course they are unbeatable on the touring front (until M kicks their ass of course ;)). WHY on earth would they stop now??

Bands are a different kettle of fish to solo artists though, the dynamic is different and the magic tends to run out quicker. They've released less albums than I thought as they seem prolific but have the same number of studio albums as Madonna.

Nobody is denying that we are all ageing fans as well but this "ageism" meme is a crock of shit. That's the way the world works!

Sure they can keep going, it works for The Stones, but we have Coldplay now :chuckle: U2 can put out as much as they want but they'll never be as good as Joy Division, The Smiths etc. One of the greats my azz!

U2 are one of the greats, no matter how many refuse to admit it. They have released amazing albums and many classic songs, they have had multiple peaks in their career (much like Madonna) and they are incredible live. Their tours haven't grossed all this money by accident. Their current position is similar to that of the Rolling Stones in the late stage of their career. The Rolling Stones released their last truly great album some time at the late 70s but they remained a force for three more decades. I'm sure many people will say similar things about them, they never did it for me, they are boring, I can only name a couple of their songs and that's it, etc etc. That doesn't mean that they are shit, hugely overrated and completely worthless.

+1

...not all "aging" musicians are still good in their 50's. U2 are

It's funny how much hate U2 get here since they are for rock what Madonna is for pop. They started around the same time, they are the biggest band live, just like Madonna is in terms of pop. They have survived 3 decades, have encountered numerous younger bands competing with them, etc...and always managed to survive.

And what people say here about U2 is what haters say about Madonna. Those old, irrelevant, "don't know what's so good about them" comments, etc etc. It's actually creepy and makes me think that in the end we really are all the same, LOL!

Guest Rachelle of London

I wasn't being ageist when saying I only know 2 U2 songs. I genuinely do. I wouldn't care for them if they were in their twenties or sixties. Just my opinion.

Just cos you dislike an older artist doesn't make you ageist. Silly billies!

Sorry, but some atittude here towards U2 remind me to some stupid people who say the same about Madonna. "They are old" "Their time is passed" "I only like them years ago", bla bla bla.

They have a MASSIVE fanbase and fill venues. They have been there for decades. And they deserve respect.

You sound like a Janet apologist.

I wasn't being ageist when saying I only know 2 U2 songs. I genuinely do. I wouldn't care for them if they were in their twenties or sixties. Just my opinion.

Silly billie, you were not being ageist so I don't get why you thought these comments were about you.

It's absolutely okay to loathe U2 but to use that as the reason they should retire is what every Madonna hater does.

You didn't suggest they should stop making their crappy music so no worries.

Silly billie, you were not being ageist so I don't get why you thought these comments were about you.

It's absolutely okay to loathe U2 but to use that as the reason they should retire is what every Madonna hater does.

Where are the "ageist" (:manson:) comments? But more importantly is Phil Dunphy a U2 fan? I bet he is!

pretty much!

if music doesn't touch a person there's no use. it's all an entirely subjective topic anyway.

Guest Rachelle of London

pretty much!

if music doesn't touch a person there's no use. it's all an entirely subjective topic anyway.

Exactly.

Guest Rachelle of London

I wasn't responding to your post. Catching up on posts from earlier on in the day before you commented.

Bingo! I guess ageism has less gender disparity now than before. Everyone should retire after they peak to avoid embarrassment and hurting their legacy.

It seems that way. At 50-55, all of a sudden things an artist(s) has done for their entire careers is now desperate and/or (my personal fave) ruining their legacy. Im not suggesting that everyone that criticizes an older artist work is ageist, but I have to say those Madonna fans that criticize every single thing she does after 50 clearly have some sort of issue with growing older themselves.

Where are the "ageist" ( :manson:) comments? But more importantly is Phil Dunphy a U2 fan? I bet he is!

I didn't ready any ageist comments in this thread. I was agreeing with Kurt420's earlier post (below) hence the "bingo" (I should have quoted it to begin with, come to think of it).

I understand some people may have never liked U2. That's fine. However, why should they stop or retire now? That's ridiculous and disappointing coming from Madonna fans of all people. It's sad how dismissive people are of others after they reach a certain age. U2 (and Madonna) would practically have to reinvent the wheel (AGAIN) to garner respect of some, simply because they didn't stop at their "peak" and the fact that (oh the horror) we are seeing them age and it freaks some of us the fuck out perhaps because WE are next in line to "get old". Your welcome for your Sunday morning armchair therapy session. :) Seriously though, almost all acts get the "they should've just stopped years ago" reaction when they decide to continue making music and performing after a certain age. Barring this last album, much like Madonna, their last album was among the top selling in the world the year of its release and of course they are unbeatable on the touring front (until M kicks their ass of course ;)). WHY on earth would they stop now??

I have, however, found many ageist comments on U2 and others all over the internet.

Now, if Phil doesn't know Bono's real name (or the Edge's) and hasn't listened to more than three songs from their new album (even though it's on his iTunes), and never heard any of their albums prior to Achtung Baby in full... does that make him a non fan?

tumblr_lrqu8qk3fz1qbopag.gif

P.S.: He loved Achtung Baby and that Batman song back in the 90's when he was still single.

Exactly. There's one thing to find Bono annoying and another thing to dimiss them. It's absurd and remind me to those people who dismiss Madonna simply because they don't like her.

It seems that way. At 50-55, all of a sudden things an artist(s) has done for their entire careers is now desperate and/or (my personal fave) ruining their legacy.

And oh, beware if some mature act dares to change and evolve and even embrace new producers! they are then desperate

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Sometimes i can't.