U2 album stunt on iTunes backfires. Should we be worried for M under Guy O'?

Jamesy

In non-English speaking countries where i-tunes is really not that big the album is doing well.

Debuts at no1 in France.

• 01 new2.gif 01 U2 - Songs Of Innocence [21 771 copies]

No1 in Holland too so far.

U2 and Madonna have something in common. Whatever they release, continental Europe is gonna eat it up no matter what.

It's because between the weird album cover art and sharing the same title, french people thought it was the english version of Etienne Daho's album released earlier this year :

6692207.jpg

without the sticker it's as weird as Mullen jr and his son

The album only sold like 25K in the US last week. That's down from almost 500K for their last album. That's crazy. I thought it would at least break 100K since their fans skew older and (I thought) buy CDs.

The album only sold like 25K in the US last week. That's down from almost 500K for their last album. That's crazy. I thought it would at least break 100K since their fans skew older and (I thought) buy CDs.

:lmao:

Well done U2 and guy O ! That's what you get for shoving your album without people's consent on their phones :rotfl:

Memo to Madonna: make sure Guy O does not talk you into anything shady like this for the Rebel Heart / Unapologetic Bitch double album in 2015!!

Music week

That U2 didn't register their 10th number one studio album - and sixth in a row - with Songs Of Innocence is largely their own fault. The album debuts at number six on sales of just 15,998 copies, having been available for more than a month as a free download from iTunes before being released physically and in expanded download form on Monday. Its first week little more than a tenth of the 157,928 copies that last album, No Line On The Horizon sold on its chart-topping debut in 2009. It is also noticeable that Songs Of Innocence's digital sales for last week were a mere 3.57% of its overall tally, less than a tenth of last week's market average for artist albums of 38.52%. Unless Songs Of Innocence rallies, it will be U2's lowest charting studio album in the UK since second album October peaked at number 11 in 1981.

11/1 Billboard 200

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... er-game-u2

At No. 9, U2's Songs Of Innocence arrives after its first week of commercial release earned 28,000 sales. It's the band's 11th top 10 effort. Previous to its on-sale bow, it was exclusively available as a free download through Apple's iTunes program. The offer generated 26 million downloads globally through Oct. 9, according to the company.

Notably, 96 percent of the album's release-week sales were from physical CDs and vinyl LPs. (It was also the No. 3 selling vinyl set of the week, with a little over 1,000 LPs sold.) For its commercial bow, the album was bolstered with additional new bonus tracks that were not part of the free download through Apple.

The band's last album, the traditionally-released No Line On the Horizon, debuted at No. 1 with 484,000 sold overall in its debut frame.

Music week

That U2 didn't register their 10th number one studio album - and sixth in a row - with Songs Of Innocence is largely their own fault. The album debuts at number six on sales of just 15,998 copies, having been available for more than a month as a free download from iTunes before being released physically and in expanded download form on Monday. Its first week little more than a tenth of the 157,928 copies that last album, No Line On The Horizon sold on its chart-topping debut in 2009. It is also noticeable that Songs Of Innocence's digital sales for last week were a mere 3.57% of its overall tally, less than a tenth of last week's market average for artist albums of 38.52%. Unless Songs Of Innocence rallies, it will be U2's lowest charting studio album in the UK since second album October peaked at number 11 in 1981.

Who are the 3.57% morons buying this album digitally when you got / were forced it for free?

Some blatant payola case started like 5 days ago. All iHeartMedia (ex Clear Channel) AC, Hot AC, Alternative and Triple A stations added or have been adding "Every Breaking Way" from the new album. It is in the top5 on my local AC station.

Is that track the 2nd single? It really is the most random thing ever that is on the radio all of a sudden. Especially on AC stations.

Guy better save that payola money for Madonna please! U2 will flop anyway.

I don't think this album was supposed to set the charts on fire. I mean...why would they release a new album in a few months commercially without this Apple deal?

I thought this was like a "welcome back U2" and the next one is gonna be commercially available only. And the tour comes after all that, right?

About Madonna...i hope they do worldwide what they did for the USA during the MDNA era. That ticket sales thing.

Just add the traditional promotion please. She needs to be out there, performing the 1st single, doing interviews, etc.

It's not like she can rely on radios now. MDNA era was over like...3 weeks after it was released.

To me U2 is one of the worst bands ever ! :thumbsdown: I never liked them. There is not one single song that I like :thumbsdown:

:thumbsup:

I tried to listen to "The Joshua Tree" (Which is considered to be one of their best albums) and they bored me to tears. Very overrated.

i like a few songs but they don't do shit for me. i don't understand how a song like "with or without you" can always be in the top 5 of a top 2000 best songs of all time year after year in this country. Live to tell is far superior to me. but yes, I get it: opinions are like assholes and no one will ever agree on what good music is. taste is subjective. IMO they're massively overrated. but then again bands are always put on a higher pedestal than women in pop anyway.

Who are the 3.57% morons buying this album digitally when you got / were forced it for free?

The ones who wanted the bonus tracks available on the deluxe edition. Everyone knows full well that many Madonna fans would do exactly the same thing :)

U2 have had some incredible songs in the past. They are not my favourite band but they have always been incredibly popular. Every time they tour, they get massive amounts of people flocking to see them.

:thumbsup: