Madonna doesn't have a definitive song?

Samo

I was talking to a straight buddy of mine who is a moderate Madonna fan and he told me that Madonna doesn't have a definitive song because she's had so many big hits that she's doesn't just have ONE songs that DEFINES her

I disagreed by saying that the song that is the biggest hit and or most well known by the general public would bê her definitive song

In the case of Madonna it's would be Like a Virgin

So does Madonna have a definitive song?

No. I don't think it's fair for her to have just one definitive song. People's immediate go to for her is either Like a Virgin or Vogue. I don't find it fair that other songs like Papa Don't Preach, Into The Groove, and Ray of light get shunned. But in reality, Madonna is a multifaceted musician. There isn't just one song that defines her, because her catalog is so vastly unique and different; nothing is alike. Madonna is Madonna.

I think Like a prayer is becoming Madonna's signature song. It is true, she has a lot of big hits. Still Like a prayer is her anthem.

I think Like a prayer is becoming Madonna's signature song. It is true, she has a lot of big hits. Still Like a prayer is her anthem.

I sure hope so. Like a Prayer is such an amazing song, way better than the horrid Like a Virgin.

She has so many definitive songs. Take your pick - Like a Prayer, Like a virgin, Material girl, Vogue, Into the groove, Ray of light, Music, Holiday. It is actually a compliment that it is so hard to pick just one.

It true.

She shouldn't have just one because she has like 10 iconic defining songs.

Some people are trying to make LAP, but I'm against it for the above reason.

For a long time I thought it was a toss up between Like A Virgin and Vogue, but Like A Prayer has seemed to overshadowed both in recent years.

I guess some can argue Material Girl, as the press has never stopped referring to her as that since that song was released.

An artist with such a large and eclectic repertoire as Madonna's just can't be defined by one song.

Let's face it : even a 2 CD set of her greatest hits couldn't contain all of her singles and therefore paint a proper picture of her career.

Just in this thread alone everyone has picked different signature songs for her, so I guess she doesn't have just one. I'm gonna go with.....

Like A Virgin

Material Girl

Like A Prayer

Vogue

She's had such a long, illustrious career, she has many classic songs. Had she peaked and fizzled in five years, it would be Like A Virgin.

Michael Jackson will always have 'Thriller' as his definitive song because that album was just so huge globally, he couldn't beat it. Madonna continued to improve whereas Michael never really topped that.

Vogue represents the signature peak of her career. The song is also timeless. Sure it has nods to the early nineties. But it remains refreshingly current with the landscape of today. She's never even given a bad performance of the song live. Which says a lot about its quality as a song.

I don't think she does honestly. She has had SO many iconic hits that you will rarely get the same answer when asked what your favorite Madonna song is.

I mean just look at this clip. I don't think one of these Drag Queens picked the same song. Even when the question is asked on here everyone is all over the board with their choices.

(Okay two picked LAV) :lol:

I think Material Girl is imprinted on many people. Sung and portrayed with a cheeky confidence that she's never lost. It wouldn't be my choice but it is constantly brought up by journalists and the like etc.