New Album Rumours & Discussion

Of course she cares for big hits.

Her concern about this is present in a lot of interviews.

Ray of Light : "I'm concerned the album doesn't have enough hits"

American Life: "Shit, I will have to promote this album more"

COADF: "Anyone who says commercial success is not important is lying. My single is #1 all over the world and I'm in heaven"

MDNA "Gang Bang would'nt be played on radio"

Of course I'm paraphrasing here, but face it. Madonna is a POP artist. She wants to be seen, talked, her products to be bought and her message to be spread. She was never Lana del Rey or Sky Ferreira. She is MADONNA.

ROFL @ anyone that thinks madonna isn't a commercial artist concerned with commercial success. Celebrity perfumes, celebrity fashion lines, celebrity gyms...she's not doing those things for the "art" of it! Madonna is way too competitive of a person to not care how successful ANY of her projects are, as evidenced by her recent singles that have been so painstakingly made for commercial success that it sucked the soul out of them completely. Her earlier singles were so successful because they were both high quality songs AND had commercial appeal

COADF: "Anyone who says commercial success is not important is lying. My single is #1 all over the world and I'm in heaven"

Of course I'm paraphrasing here, but face it. Madonna is a POP artist. She wants to be seen, talked, her products to be bought and her message to be spread. She was never Lana del Rey or Sky Ferreira. She is MADONNA.

THIS TBH

Oh please, as if Lana and her label never cared about commercial success... Interscope didn't signed her for nothing.

as evidenced by her recent singles that have been so painstakingly made for commercial success that it sucked the soul out of them completely. Her earlier singles were so successful because they were both high quality songs AND had commercial appeal

34rjg9x.jpg

Everyone from Daft Punk to Lana and Lorde are VERY commercial, no matter what their image says. commercial means that it sells. what they make is meant to SELL. simple..

:chuckle::thumbsup:

It's called showBUSINESS

Ok maybe I shouldnt say Lana. I just said her name because she's nowhere to be seen in the top 40 unless for a DJ remix.

But that was not my point and we're not talking about Lana.

Wasnt it warner that wanted 4M for 1st single? She works for companies and they want a successful product also.

Not to mention the dozens if not downright HUNDREDS of people that depend on her success to make a livelihood. She is an mini-industry of her own.

Wasnt it warner that wanted 4M for 1st single? She works for companies and they want a successful product also.

Yeah, she was really pushing for Candy shop to be released. It didn't appear in two live shows for no reason!

Ok maybe I shouldnt say Lana. I just said her name because she's nowhere to be seen in the top 40 unless for a DJ remix.

But that was not my point and we're not talking about Lana.

It's such a shame it took a god awful remix for people to take notice of her.

I think she must have had an idea for a video to CS to go along with a theme for the album and all that. It's interesting though as it shows she's not as "desperate" to get by with younger stars as some think.

It's even more odd, though, that she wanted CS for the first single (clearly you're right; she would have had a visual in mind), and yet the album artwork was such a scattered process. You'd think the candy would have been integrated into the album artwork from the inception, then, rather than PhotoShopped in later as an alternate plan -- and then CS didn't end up being a single anyway.

I know this is bordering on ancient history now, but it does make one's brow furrow.

I think some fan had a pseudo video treatment idea that the video for CS would be ... sort of "Snow Queen" from The Chronicles of Narnia (the "Turkish delight" connection? -- which does seem a rather specific candy to mention...). There was one part of the Klein album shoot which looked like it could have worked with that -- where she was wearing mostly white and nude colors -- the (hopefully faux) fur she's wearing is white with flecks of black. I don't know. I guess she could have made that somewhat of a coherent theme. But even then, she had the boxing gloves in those shots. Such a strange mixture of themes, and she didn't really follow up on any of them. The Munro-shot "Die Another Day" S&ST boxing interlude video was probably the closest to what she was originally going for at the outset before all the candy stock photos replaced the boxing posters, etc.

I really enjoy the song Candy Shop and think her vocals throughout are wonderful. If that makes me a loon, so be it.

Thank you for that background info on the album art work. I love hearing this stuff.

I think she first wanted Candy Shop to be title, as that was one of the first songs she did for the album. I think one of producers talked her out of it as 50 Cent already had a song out with that title. Then she had the "Black Madonna" idea, did a photoshoot for that, but then Guy O talked her out of it. Then she wanted to title it Give It 2 Me, did a photoshoot based on that, but Timbaland had already released a song with that title. Shame.

I think she first wanted Candy Shop to be title, as that was one of the first songs she did for the album. I think one of producers talked her out of it as 50 Cent already had a song out with that title. Then she had the "Black Madonna" idea, did a photoshoot for that, but then Guy O talked her out of it. Then she wanted to title it Give It 2 Me, did a photoshoot based on that, but Timbaland had already released a song with that title. Shame.

Right! I wasn't sure where the "Black Madonna" idea fit in the timeline of this ... Whether it was before the boxing theme or after. But right -- both "Candy Shop" and "Give It 2 Me" were 'disqualified' after tracks of the same name were released by other artists.

I kind of agree with the idea that "Candy Shop" would not really have done well as a single, despite the popularity of Pharrell's sound, even today. The song has really grown on me through the live versions. (Honestly, I always loved the melody of the verses and of the hook -- 'my sugar is raw ...' It's the chorus that seems a little weak to me. Although I do like it now.) Yeah, I think it would have underperformed. But "4 Minutes" was gonna be big no matter what -- as others have pointed out before -- so she probably could have gone with a slightly off-beat lead single. The world was pretty starved for new Madonna material at that time, too. It was a long wait between COADF and HC, with only "Hey You" in between.

Anyway. Sorry this isn't really 'new album rumour' material. I feel I'm getting slightly off topic here.

Paraphrasing is an understatement. She said she had a dream that she was in an art class and the other students were critiquing her album and saying stuff like "Are you sure there are hits?" This was obviously anxiety she was having based on the fact that she went into the album trying not to think about commercial success. She said repeatedly during that era that she was willing to risk being unpopular in order to make the music she wanted to make. She's always cared about success and popularity, but if you're going to quote her, you're going to have a hard time finding a real quote from that era where she says she's concerned about it.

everyone from daft punk to lana and lorde are VERY commercial, no matter what their image says. commercial means that it sells. what they make is meant to SELL. simple..

I don't think you can say "Oh, it sells therefore it's commercial." That's a very simplistic interpretation of the word. Tori Amos used to sell 2m of every album. I wouldn't call her "commercial." And yes, LDR's album sold decently, but the only reason she's getting airplay is because of a dance remix. Interscope was banking on her YouTube/Internet following. They didn't listen to "Video Games" and say, "This is so commercial! #1 hit!" And of course, it never was a hit.

i think you're confusing mainstream with commercial.. ior maybe i am. who knows :p know what you mean though. this is how i see it: madonna is mainstream and tried to be commercial with hard candy and MDNA but it didn't always work. tori amos didn't really try to be mainstream but some of her work ended up being commercial. same for bjork. hope I'm making sense :) I'm not very familiar with lana del rey, i just know of her biggest hits and assume she only released those as singles. what i meant is that there are a lot of both mainstream and commercial acts that try to take on an "indie" image. i believe lana started that way with her "lana del rey" image (because she had other music and another name & look before her current... "persona") (or that's what i always thought anyway. feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)