Hard Candy SoundScan/Billboard 200 Discussion

thebigham

Guest nothingfails0603
cmon guys i'm not saying something wrong about holidayguy i'm only saying that usa is the only country in this world obsessed by youth, my argument is logic.... if in the states you don't recognize good things in favour of youth you are dumb.....wath means new generation i know some guys younger then me who likes doors and older then me who likes rihanna!!!! for me it's a question of miseducation good things must be always aprreciate, it's better an old good thing or a new young crap? youth doesn't mean good!!! maybe i'm a little bit upset but i don't understand why you have to justify your country.... are you really so blind?????

I agree. It pisses me off how youth-obsessed radio is in the states. All the programmers need to look towards is the US dance charts. 21-25 year old gay men react as well to a good new Donna Summer or Cyndi Lauper song as they do new Rihanna or Beyonce. I know lots of 20-something gay men who love "Into The Nightlife" for instance... do they care that Cyndi is their mothers age or that they were born the year "True Colors" came out? fuck no. It doesn't bother a 23 year old that someone like Donna is nearly 60, if anything it only makes her a bigger survivor and a bigger reason to admire her for being that old and still doing her thing. US radio should take this into heed. If 20-something gay men respond well to new material of divas from the 60's, 70's and 80's alongside their Rihanna and Britney, whose to say that teenagers who listen to radio might not feel the same way?

Aren't you guys tired of talking about this over and over again?????

:chuckle: i know... that's why most of the time I don't reply anymore when this is the topic... I am tired of it already

Guest nothingfails0603
I always wonder why she doesnt sell Hard Candy at her concerts?

does Soundscan count cd's sold at concerts? always wondered that

I agree. It pisses me off how youth-obsessed radio is in the states. All the programmers need to look towards is the US dance charts. 21-25 year old gay men react as well to a good new Donna Summer or Cyndi Lauper song as they do new Rihanna or Beyonce. I know lots of 20-something gay men who love "Into The Nightlife" for instance... do they care that Cyndi is their mothers age or that they were born the year "True Colors" came out? fuck no. It doesn't bother a 23 year old that someone like Donna is nearly 60, if anything it only makes her a bigger survivor and a bigger reason to admire her for being that old and still doing her thing. US radio should take this into heed. If 20-something gay men respond well to new material of divas from the 60's, 70's and 80's alongside their Rihanna and Britney, whose to say that teenagers who listen to radio might not feel the same way?

The fact that the US is ageist is well known, but both cyndi and Donna are pretty much unheard of outside the gay scene everywhere, not only in the US. Most people in the world arestraight too, we are a minority, so why should radio stations play gay dance music more?

so why should radio stations play gay dance music more?

because there´s real good music, of course not everything, but some of them.anyway, the US radio don´t want old people: and do they play Sting, Bruce and those ones? even Metallica?

Guest nothingfails0603
The fact that the US is ageist is well known, but both cyndi and Donna are pretty much unheard of outside the gay scene everywhere, not only in the US. Most people in the world arestraight too, we are a minority, so why should radio stations play gay dance music more?

well, I was using Cyndi and Donna as two examples of "older artists". They're both over 50, which instantly renders them unattractive to US radio, but Into The Nightlife and I'm A Fire both went over as warmly to the 20-something gay dance crowd as Distrbua did. IMO that is enough proof that US radio should get off their fear of playing someone who might be older than a listeners mom. Because if a 23 year old gay man doesn't get bothered that Donna, Cyndi, Patti Labelle, Cher, Tina, whoever... is older than their mom, why would a 15 year old refuse to listen to Madonna or Janet on age alone? Gay men and the dance chart have passed the litmus test that young people aren't afraid to respond to new music by an "old" artist if the material is strong enough. Radio should learn a thing or two from that when it comes to Madonna and many other artists who are still making good radio-friendly music but might happen to be older than 12-year old listener Chelsea's mom.

Radio was playing Madonna well into her 40's but you have to admit she was throwing a lot of non-radio friendly stuff out there, and then finally shot herself in the foot with AL. I also don't think a song can get decent play on US radio w/o a certain amount of "backing" from a record company and I don't think Warner has been interested in fully supporting Madonna for a while now. We'll see how things go when she's with a new label.

Guest nothingfails0603
Radio was playing Madonna well into her 40's but you have to admit she was throwing a lot of non-radio friendly stuff out there, and then finally shot herself in the foot with AL. I also don't think a song can get decent play on US radio w/o a certain amount of "backing" from a record company and I don't think Warner has been interested in fully supporting Madonna for a while now. We'll see how things go when she's with a new label.

well, AL might've shot her in the foot, but look at Mariah. Glitter was commercial suicide as well but yet radio was ready to embrace her again come Emancipation Of Mimi, yet radio still refuses to forgive her for AL even tho AL did slightly sell more than Glitter

Guest nothingfails0603

^ I've said it before regarding them. But US radio always pissed me off about this. I remember Glitter's flop in 2001 led to a diva-wide backlash in 2001-2004 where all of the big divas were putting out the poorest recieved albums of their careers. I was thinking since Mariah led the "backlash" diva trail, that she was going to do the same thing with the comebacks for them (much like how Aretha, Patti, Grace Slick, Dionne Warwick, etc... all scored major #1 hits after Tina broke the door for over-40 60's divas in the MTV era) and I figured that radio would give Hung Up the same enthusiasm that if not We Belong Together got, at least Shake It Off, but instead... nope.

Same with the other divas, Janet and Celine have neither scored a massive post-Mimi hit either (Whitney's been gone so long who knows what'll happen?). So I think it's a bunch of bullshit that radio was ready to embrace all the 40-something stars of the 60's once Tina's career was hot again, but not welcome back all the divas that plunged down the chart when Mariah did with Glitter now that Mariah was hot once more.

Guest northernlad
i'm only saying that usa is the only country in this world obsessed by youth, my argument is logic.... if in the states you don't recognize good things in favour of youth you are dumb.....

well that's utter rubbish, and a particular myth proported by the madonna community simply b/c she's remained huge in europe

fact is, madonna is the exception to the rule, not the norm. it's certainly true that most other countries aren't as ageist as america, but it's still there - strongly so. just look at british, french and germany airplay charts.. there's really very few names over 40

(i assume you're speaking directly 2 radio/music culture)

Guest nothingfails0603
well that's utter rubbish, and a particular myth proported by the madonna community simply b/c she's remained huge in europe

fact is, madonna is the exception to the rule, not the norm. it's certainly true that most other countries aren't as ageist as america, but it's still there - strongly so. just look at british, french and germany airplay charts.. there's really very few names over 40

(i assume you're speaking directly 2 radio/music culture)

well, Cliff Richard just scored a top 3 in the UK a few weeks back. The man is 68, older than Babs, Paul McCartney and the Rolling Stones and other "old" artists who have been seen as too old for US radio for about three presidential administrations by now

Guest northernlad

But he did so without any airplay, and next to no public recognition.

I guess your mean is that old guys can still get sales hits in the UK, but the absence of a (youth-driven) strong digital market in Europe makes the comparison pretty erroneous as "single-collectors" still manipulate the market there.

#166, 27 weeks on

Hmmm...down from #156. I wonder what the sales figures are. It will be interesting to see if sales held steady, went up or fell. There were lots of debuts on the chart this week, I believe. We inch ever closer to passing AL's numbers... :dramatic:

Guest hotstickyandsweet
#166, 27 weeks on

Wow, and with some stadium gigs and all there is a pretty decent chance this album can hang for a while longer. This should show all you people who call yourselves fans, that the longevity of this CD on the charts proves how relevant Madonna still is. Come on now, over half a year with 1 hit single and still hangin on?? People from the shows are seeing how good the cd really is and that's why we are still able to have this discussion. This CD is like an ode to all her earlier pop accessible stuff and tour fans must be seeing this and buying Hard Candy right after the show.

Nice numbers! So, how many more weeks will HC be affected on the chart by the current tour?

Anyway, can you imagine how much better HC would be doing if we just had a 2nd decent radio hit from this album?