Hard Candy around the worldwide charts

Guest Hafo

I didnt even mentioned Madonna on my analysis. I simply spoke in general terms about the market. A few years ago a #1 album would normally be platinum only based on its first week sales, now its quite rare actuall, maybe except during the Xmas time.

Since you quoted me, I thought you were making the argument (as others have) that the market is weak and that explains the lack of a major boost. I am arguing that the general public isn't overly keen on this record since other albums have shown that even with illegal downloads, you can still reach a certain level of sales.

Sure, Hard Candy is not as popular as Confessions here in Portugal, but can you tell me wich albuns you said sold more in the same period with less exposure here?

:)

Albums 1-9 on the chart. The "same period" I was talking about was the week following the Lisbon show. I don't believe any of those artists played to over 60,000 people that week and got as much coverage as Madonna.

Guest boytoyville
thanks to jion from ukmix forum

The concert in Athens had an amazic effect on

iTunes Greece

Hard Candy #1

COADF #14 (was at 9)

ROL #62

IGTTYAS #67, AL #68, LAP #98

sINGLES

#2 GI2M

#3 4M

#4 MA

+ANOTHER 9 songs in top100, but at one time there were 30 of her songs, old and new, inthe top 100, if you can believe it

Awesome! She should stop by Greece next time too! Give it to Me now number 1 on I-tunes with Hard Candy still number 1! The concert had a HUGE effect on Hard Candy in Greece!

I think HC is a great album but I also think that people aren't interested in Madonna when she does things that seemed contrived or not Madonna. COADF was Madonna doing disco which is where she came from. AL and HC have suffered from her doing something either political or that seems a bit like trying too hard to get sales - ie: the urban take.

If she had dropped Kanye, Pharrel and Timberland and the whole bling thing and presented the songs just as pure pop with a different image, I think it would have seemed a lot less desperate to the general public and got more sales. She's all about being yourself but I think in this case, she wasn't and casual fans don't like that.

Just a thought so don't lynch me!

Guest Danny86

I don't think the general public thinks HC is desperate. If they did, "4 Minutes" wouldn't have become one of her biggest hits ever. If anything, using Timbaland & co gave an extra interest for the public, who probably wouldn't have cared about yet another pure pop album from Madonna. Those who think she doesn't act her age probably lost interest in 2000 anyway.

I think HC is a great album but I also think that people aren't interested in Madonna when she does things that seemed contrived or not Madonna. COADF was Madonna doing disco which is where she came from. AL and HC have suffered from her doing something either political or that seems a bit like trying too hard to get sales - ie: the urban take.

If she had dropped Kanye, Pharrel and Timberland and the whole bling thing and presented the songs just as pure pop with a different image, I think it would have seemed a lot less desperate to the general public and got more sales. She's all about being yourself but I think in this case, she wasn't and casual fans don't like that.

You get lynched because you speak idiocy.

I hate when people say that COADF was disco and back to her roots when clearly it has very little in common with her her early stuff. Just goes to prove that you obviously have no clue of early Madonna.

HC is probably the closest to early Madonna we've got in a very long time.

I agree, some loons cant see the obvious. Just by listening to general comments of people who would occassionally buy Madonna records but are not necessarily fans agree with that analysis. A desperate move to attract younger fans, which clearly is not achieving its goal.

Dont worry, Madonna is a clever businesswoman and will take note of it.

Guest Danny86
I hate when people say that COADF was disco and back to her roots when clearly it has very little in common with her her early stuff. Just goes to prove that you obviously have no clue of early Madonna.

HC is probably the closest to early Madonna we've got in a very long time.

Exactly. She didn't come from Abba, Donna Summer, Giorgio Moroder, Kraftwerk, Pet Shop Boys or Daft Punk. The only thing common between the first album and COADF is that neither have any ballads. And unlike HC, COADF shares no subject matters with the debut.

In Greece it climbs to #2 from #3 on the international chart, and #8 from #10 on the combined. Also it is finally certified Platinum. :thumbsup: According to ifpi.org Platinum for an international artist in Greece means 15.000 copies shipped.

Exactly. She didn't come from Abba, Donna Summer, Giorgio Moroder, Kraftwerk, Pet Shop Boys or Daft Punk. The only thing common between the first album and COADF is that neither have any ballads. And unlike HC, COADF shares no subject matters with the debut.

If you look at the press that came out for COADF, they pitched it as a return to her roots, not me. HC has been pitched as a more urban album like Bedtime Stores. Personally, I agree. I think HC is much closer to her roots than COADF and has much stronger songs.

However, from the general publics point of view, they just think she was a disco dolly and is so tied with gay culture that they perceive COADF is her roots. It's all about perception and I think that is why HC has not succeeded as it has been pitched the wrong way.

I think this will go down as another of her undiscovered classics like Erotica in a few years time.

COADF has stuff in common with the debut- i.e. "Hung Up" talks about waiting around for someone (cues "Think of Me")

With HC dropping in European territories, no wonder it fell to No. 20. Still a decent showing on the whole, though.

Guest demitri
In Greece it climbs to #2 from #3 on the international chart, and #8 from #10 on the combined. Also it is finally certified Platinum. :thumbsup: According to ifpi.org Platinum for an international artist in Greece means 15.000 copies shipped.

Oh, Platinum in Singapore is 15,000 too. HC went Platinum in Singapore real early, like less than a month from its release

I was surprised though, its a very youth-driven market here and I always felt Madonna isn't really big here

If memory serves me right, her best-selling albums here are True Blue, Immaculate Collection, Bedtime Stories, Something To Remember and ROL. All of these albums are > 5x Platinum here

I remember reading that BS and STR were massive hits here. That RnB sound seems to do pretty well in Singapore. So I'm not surprised HC is probably selling well here

Oh, Platinum in Singapore is 15,000 too. HC went Platinum in Singapore real early, like less than a month from its release

According to the IFPI, international artists' platinum level in Singapore is 12,000. :confused:

Guest demitri
According to the IFPI, international artists' platinum level in Singapore is 12,000. :confused:

International artists? Virtually all the albums here are international haha. You hardly see any Singapore-bred artistes beyond a small handful

My bad.. maybe its 12,000. Strange tho, I always thought it was 15,000

While in Europe albums continues to fall (although not as fast as in previous weeks), HC is up to #14 in Mexico and to #57 in Canada. Might be the US leg tour effect? Or Miles Away?

While in Europe albums continues to fall (although not as fast as in previous weeks), HC is up to #14 in Mexico and to #57 in Canada. Might be the US leg tour effect? Or Miles Away?

Maybe a little of both? I am not sure how MA is doing on Canadian radio, but we should start seeing the tour effect from Toronto in next week's chart (if any). The week after will be Montreal's effect and the week after that, Vancouver (a stadium).