Hard Candy around the worldwide charts

Guest Hafo

I hope HC gets enough wind to stay atop the new Metalica album at least until the year is over.

I would like it tooo, but I´m afraid metalica´s album is going to sell more than HC this year, I mean, it´s still in the top 20-30 in the US, and doing fairly well in the rest of the world, so...

In Italy in the last 3 weeks there was a lot of new release ( around 10 per week ) , also this week above HC there are 7 new entry , the same happend in the last 2 weeks but HC falls down in total only 10 positions during this time , that's good , in the 2 national airplay chart Miles away is at 11 ( Musica & dischi ) and at 7 ( Nielsen )

didn´t they ship 4 million copies of AL?

Yeah, I think WB reported initial worldwide shipments were 4 million upon release. However, the NY Times reported (via Warner) that it had only sold 3.5 million (of that 4 million) as of October 2003. Hard Candy still has a ways to catch up and I think that might be awhile considering it is off most of the charts.

American Life also has the benefit of being a huge seller in France, and it had an initial U.S. certification of 1 million (even though Hard Candy has well out-sold it here).

Oh dear, the Madonna thread at UKMix has been locked for the 3rd time :confused:

I need to go back to my archives to see about AL initial shipments, I think the figure released was 3M.

Comparisons with AL are pretty pointless - the climate has changed enormously since then. The tell tale statistic is that HC is one of 2008's biggest selling albums while AL was nowhere near that for its year.

As a reference, GHV2 was #12 (2001), AL #32 (2003) and COADF #6 (2005) on IFPI's Worldwide Album Year End Charts.

Any idea what # HC will end up. Is it still #3? without looking at the actual units sold. It seems like it did real well in comparison.

Comparisons with AL are pretty pointless - the climate has changed enormously since then. The tell tale statistic is that HC is one of 2008's biggest selling albums while AL was nowhere near that for its year.

so true - it is a singles download world now (half for free through share sites) - to sell alot of albums is an acomplishment

Guest gintonic
Oh dear, the Madonna thread at UKMix has been locked for the 3rd time :confused:

I need to go back to my archives to see about AL initial shipments, I think the figure released was 3M.

Yes..mental case there. Whats up with this mod anyway??

Say what you will about the relative failure of "Miles Away" - but the song is a hit in Germany (still Top 10 in downloads) and it is keeping Hard Candy somewhat alive on the Top 100 Album chart.

Germany:

HC #88 (+8)

Despite heavy retail competition in the 4th quarter, the album has kept its head above water for 2 months now - refusing to leave the chart.

Hard Candy is also officially the 14th Best Selling album in Germany for 2008.