Another Double Standard

vocalism

This is something that really bugs me. We've all heard the naysayers (and even some "fans") say that Madonna needs to retire and "go away." Fine, they're entitled to their nonsensical opinions. I get it, I get it - it's because she's dressing sexy and being provocative and they think she's too old for that. But I just saw something on Macy Gray's new album. Macy fucking Gray. A has-been pothead one-hit wonder whose career fizzled out over a decade ago and she's still doing her thing, putting out albums that sell practically nothing. Why shouldn't she retire? The double standard drives me nuts.

:lame:

^ The worst is when OLDER female acts, whose current albums all sell LESS than Madonnas current albums are PRAISED for still going strong and staying in the game, while Madonna is called a has been whose last album flopped, despite sellin 2 million and going to #1 on virtually EVERY music market in the world

Im looking at you Barbra, Cher, Dolly

Because Madonna is still a threat to a bunch of these new pop stars who might be number one at the moment or have hits after hits played on the radio but they are all deductive and they don't look like they are going to break any records when in comes down to tickets and album sales. As much as the media like to hail these new comers as the best thing ever truth is they are nothing compared to Madonna's body of work so the haters come out on force against Madonna saying she's over or she should retire or she's sinful and desperate and blah, blah... it's been going on forever.. i'm used to it and i find it funny how generally people would like Madonna to retire but they never say a word about Mick Jagger or Sting or Elton John or Prince.. Surely they wouldn't say a word if MJ was still alive and performing.

Women seem to have more followers.. especially gay ones who do come across as bitchy and mean so i wouldn't be surprised if say Janet Jackson or Mariah Carey or Beyonce fan would say Madonna should retire... of course, she should! She's still successful whereas others flopped! She's competition still!

^ The worst is when OLDER female acts, whose current albums all sell LESS than Madonnas current albums are PRAISED for still going strong and staying in the game, while Madonna is called a has been whose last album flopped, despite sellin 2 million and going to #1 on virtually EVERY music market in the world

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!! It's driving me crazy to see such obvious double standards.

People are constantly saying Madonna is a flop, an old granny, too old for dressing sexy, too old for doing dance music,... but then the very same people go on praising Cher! Cher who is older than Madonna, is still dressing sexy, is still doing dance music and is selling way less than Madonna. Yet no one has a problem with her. The double standard is OBVIOUS when it comes to Cher.

Now of course those women should keep doing what they want to do, i applaud them for that. But people should stop attacking Madonna over things they wouldn't mind if it was another female artist.

At the end of the day, those people don't have a problem with strong females in the music industry, they have a problem with Madonna herself. And they can't even admit it.

What did Barbra open with? 192k in the US?

If Madonna opens with that amount (which lets face it, is quite likely) all that will be talked about is how it's half of what MDNA opened with.....or if it misses #1 the press will harp on the fact it's her first album in 15 yrs not to go to #1. There is totally a double standard when it comes to Madonna. I think the same thing happened to Michael Jackson when he was alive, Invincible was deemed a flop despite selling something like 10 million copies. Sexism, racism and the fact that M and MJ had such massively successful career peaks all play into it IMO.

What did Barbra open with? 192k in the US?

If Madonna opens with that amount (which lets face it, is quite likely) all that will be talked about is how it's half of what MDNA opened with.....or if it misses #1 the press will harp on the fact it's her first album in 15 yrs not to go to #1. There is totally a double standard when it comes to Madonna. I think the same thing happened to Michael Jackson when he was alive, Invincible was deemed a flop despite selling something like 10 million copies. Sexism, racism and the fact that M and MJ had such massively successful career peaks all play into it IMO.

EXACTLY.

I agree. They should all be celebrated with the ones who desperately rig the chart being those called out and criticized.

Because Madonna is still a threat to a bunch of these new pop stars who might be number one at the moment or have hits after hits played on the radio but they are all deductive and they don't look like they are going to break any records when in comes down to tickets and album sales. As much as the media like to hail these new comers as the best thing ever truth is they are nothing compared to Madonna's body of work so the haters come out on force against Madonna saying she's over or she should retire or she's sinful and desperate and blah, blah... it's been going on forever.. i'm used to it and i find it funny how generally people would like Madonna to retire but they never say a word about Mick Jagger or Sting or Elton John or Prince.. Surely they wouldn't say a word if MJ was still alive and performing.

Women seem to have more followers.. especially gay ones who do come across as bitchy and mean so i wouldn't be surprised if say Janet Jackson or Mariah Carey or Beyonce fan would say Madonna should retire... of course, she should! She's still successful whereas others flopped! She's competition still!

Said it all.

They're only going to start praising her when she's gone. People, especially the media (who still hate Madonna for being controversial and more iconic than every other flop bitch they're praising right now) just don't want to see an icon when she's right in front of them.

Personaly, the past thirty years would have been sooooo boring if Madonna had continually received praise and acceptance, as you all want. Do we really need another Joni fucking Mitchell who ( and critics) thinks the sun shines out her arse continuously. I think Madonna thrives on the negativity, and makes her even more determined and creative. Just look at Gaga and her unwarranted praise, the mole is now in a heap of shit, and Madonna ready to unleash!

And too Mattress who associated Dolly with those two other ladies. Just NO! Here we have a woman who has written over a thousand songs and the music to go along with them, and can play numerous instruments. The other two stand in front of a microphone and sing other people's songs! big difference in praise.

I have nothing against Barbra, Cher and Dolly being praised as all have stood the test of time. It is more the biased press that should be called out for trashing Madonna unfairly continually. They have always trashed her - right from the very start of her career. She does not need other women to be trashed but instead the press to finally give her the credit she deserves.

They wanted Madonna to be retired in the 80s. That's why Paula Abdul, Martika and some others were called "the next Madonna". Do you think they would stop through the years?

I think that those comments simply fuel Madonna. She gets the message and thinks "oh, right. Come on, give the grillz".

It is simple psychology really. Madonna has always had an "in your face, fuck you, I don't need your approval, I will do what I want and kick ass at it" attitude. This approach mixed with her tremendous success infuriates people as much of the press and public want to feel in control over an artist's career. They want to feel that they can tell you when you are a success, and when you are not. They want to tell you when you should do this and that, when to lay low, when to go away, etc. Madonna has always operated to her own flow and truly doesn't give much of a damn about what people, press or otherwise, care or think. In fact, I personally feel that when she has cared is when she has stumbled. She is at her best when she is in solo defiance mode.

The fact that she can avoid kissing-ass and still amass such phenomenal success brings out the worst in people. Madonna's drive and ambition and general aloof attitude gives her an abrasive reputation, where if she were a man, it wouldn't be an issue. It is a double standard based on her age, sex, and most of all, extraordinarily consistent success. Everything she does is weighed against the fantastic brilliance of all that she has achieved. It is a massive weight to contend with, something most artists cannot relate to as their success has waxed and waned, where Madonna's success, even when waning, has still remained at least in par with or even above what would be considered successful for her contemporaries. People don't like it when those they deem "not nice" reign and succeed and so they use any means possible to tear you down. This is a key element in the Madonna phenomenon, she has never needed public/press approval to dictate or even effect her ability to succeed.

This is why she's such a phenomenally strong person, Madonna.

Can you imagine being told to "retire" for a great part of your career? I probably I wouldn't, I'd just a walk away.

There are so many to take inspirations from her. Our Queen.

It is simple psychology really. Madonna has always had an "in your face, fuck you, I don't need your approval, I will do what I want and kick ass at it" attitude. This approach mixed with her tremendous success infuriates people as much of the press and public want to feel in control over an artist's career. They want to feel that they can tell you when you are a success, and when you are not. They want to tell you when you should do this and that, when to lay low, when to go away, etc. Madonna has always operated to her own flow and truly doesn't give much of a damn about what people, press or otherwise, care or think. In fact, I personally feel that when she has cared is when she has stumbled. She is at her best when she is in solo defiance mode.

The fact that she can avoid kissing-ass and still amass such phenomenal success brings out the worst in people. Madonna's drive and ambition and general aloof attitude gives her an abrasive reputation, where if she were a man, it wouldn't be an issue. It is a double standard based on her age, sex, and most of all, extraordinarily consistent success. Everything she does is weighed against the fantastic brilliance of all that she has achieved. It is a massive weight to contend with, something most artists cannot relate to as their success has waxed and waned, where Madonna's success, even when waning, has still remained at least in par with or even above what would be considered successful for her contemporaries. People don't like it when those they deem "not nice" reign and succeed and so they use any means possible to tear you down. This is a key element in the Madonna phenomenon, she has never needed public/press approval to dictate or even effect her ability to succeed.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

And too Mattress who associated Dolly with those two other ladies. Just NO! Here we have a woman who has written over a thousand songs and the music to go along with them, and can play numerous instruments. The other two stand in front of a microphone and sing other people's songs! big difference in praise.

I didn't associate anyone with Dolly, dolly. That was Melrose95, and your ranting misses the point entirely.

One thing i've been noticing more and more: The biggest critics of Madonna right now, are other women.

They are the ones always bringing her down.

When you see a bad article about Madonna...click on the picture of the person who wrote it. 90% of the times it will either be a fat 50 YO woman or a bitter 30 YO cow who always need to bring younger acts on their Madonna articles with claims like "Katy should be wearing this, not Madonna" etc...

Another double standard i never fully understood. Red Hot Chilli Pepers are always half naked on stage. No one talks about it. Hell even Mick Jager in his 70's.

But Madonna does her Like A Virgin number on the MDNA tour and suddently she's "trying to act younger". Why can't she just be a 52 YO woman undressing on stage? When did this idea started that a woman showing her body is automatically trying to look younger?

I'm sorry if this has an easy answer cause i don't really get it!

I have a different view on this. I also see a lot of men criticising Madonna - for example Piers Morgan. I think it somehow stands out when women have a go at her because it seems like they are being jealous or traitors to their own sex. However, I have noticed a lot of pompous middle aged men or sexist young men also spewing hate about her. It is definitely not something that just female journalists and presenters do - I think it is even across the board.

Some people do not like Madonna and it is not my concern to figure out why, whether there dislike stems from envy or sheer hatred. In fact, I firmly believe that the people still wishing for her demise only make her career stronger, her name more relevant, her legacy more exciting. Madonna's haters are actually fanning her flames :wow:

With all that said, I like Macy Gray A LOT, so let's not shade her too hard.

I also see a lot of would be fans who can't take the criticism she receives and join in on the mindless babble.

I also think that people who dislike her are simply not really nice people. I can see how she would annoy them. People they don't like are not suppose to be happy and successful.

I also see a lot of would be fans who can't take the criticism she receives and join in on the mindless babble.

I also think that people who dislike her are simply not really nice people. I can see how she would annoy them. People they don't like are not suppose to be happy and successful.

True. I have yet to see a Madonna hater who isn't bitter and mean-spirited. Most nice people i know, when they're not fans, can at least respect her, her legacy and music.

haters of madonna want the attention she gets, and the closest they can get to that is by mentioning her name, sad really.

she should never retire and do whatever the hell she wants til shes 106. Madonna has always saw those double standards and walked into the fire. i love her for it.

BOOM.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: