Did M have second thoughts about putting 'Love Spent' on the album?

ryan

he said he "got a lot of money" out of the divorce.

liz rosenberg actually had to sent out a statement saying he got .. what was it 90 million dollars? cuz his team said he got less or something like that. but i don't remember the exact details.

there were also some very disgusting gossip pieces all against madonna at that time. they were quite personal and inappropriate. if he's behind all of that then i can see why she made "love spent".

he said he "got a lot of money" out of the divorce.

liz rosenberg actually had to sent out a statement saying he got .. what was it 90 million dollars? cuz his team said he got less or something like that. but i don't remember the exact details.

there were also some very disgusting gossip pieces all against madonna at that time. they were quite personal and inappropriate. if he's behind all of that then i can see why she made "love spent".

Unfortunately the media is supported by the joy people take in hearing made up gossip about strangers. :-/

I must be one of the very few Madonna fans that doesn't go gung-ho for this song.

I do love the acoustic/MDNA tour version though.

I join you. I loved it in the beginning but the love didn't stay enough.

So I'm listening to WOs remix of Love Spent, and it's pretty obvious that on the album version, they edited the vocals from saying "I want you to take me like you took MY money" to "take YOUR money," as it's very clearly MY in the remix and live version...

But what I'm trying to get at is that, when the track list was first revealed, LS was a bonus track. And when she did the interview with Jimmy Fallon, she seemed pretty uninterested and scared to talk about the song when Jimmy played it and stated it was his favorite.

She did say that the biggest insult to call a guy is a "bitch." But to me, an even bigger insult is to refer to a guy as a "gold digger."

Do you think M had second thoughts about releasing Love Spent on the album? She didn't even work it into the tour till halfway through.

I haven't read any of the other responses to this, but wasn't LS one of the first songs they previewed from the album. I remember playing it on loop because it was so pretty. When was it a bonus track?

Re: Jimmy Fallon, I remember her dismissing it when he wanted to use it as a song to dance to. I think she's views it as a midtempo kind of track and not one to get down to. That was my impression of her reaction, not that she didn't like it. I also think she probably wanted to avoid discussing the lyrics, not that she didn't want to release it.

Also, what remix? It's clear she's singing "your" on the acoustic version.

When the tracklist was first released. It was listed as a bonus track.

Maybe a few weeks later, the revised it, where it became an album track.

Then sometime after that they started to preview the songs on perez/youtube.

It's one of my all time best Madonna songs up there with Vogue and Bedtime Story.

Love her vocals, love the lyrics but was dissapointed with the acoustic live version. I would have preferred the album version with all the amazing production and effects on her voice. She could have sit on a stool or even the piano so she could deliver some good vocals and concentrate on her breathing to hit the high notes like You Must Love Me from S&S.

Guest Rachelle of London

I think a lot of the drama surrounding Guy was fabricated and made up to excite the press. He probably did get a settlement but he certainly didn't need it. Guy comes from an extremely wealthy background, his family are not even rich they are extremely rich. He's related to royalty on both sides and even his stepfather. And he's made a lot of money from his films. From a financial standpoint he clearly didn't "need" Madonnas money. Maybe the settlement he received was on the back of money they earnt together. Investments etc that they both had money in? Maybe the 90million was the split in assets or something.

I don't believe the nasty stories cane from Guy aswell, they would've been much bigger news if they did.

I never liked Guy, also the fact that months after the divorce, like a year and a half later he became a father two times, it was like maybe Madonna could had more babies for him or who knows, also the media circus and that when they got divorced he was about to start filming Sherlock Holmes.

Guest Rachelle of London

I never liked Guy, also the fact that months after the divorce, like a year and a half later he became a father two times, it was like maybe Madonna could had more babies for him or who knows, also the media circus and that when they got divorced he was about to start filming Sherlock Holmes.

He married Madonna when she was 42. They adopted David together, I don't think having more biological kids was a deal breaker. But then again we never know.

Am I the only one that fast forwards LS to the middle of the track.

I have a different view on the whole issue of dividing money after marriage than most people. Personally, I find it unethical and wrong when a spouse takes millions of dollars off someone else that has worked so hard to earn that money. I know a lot of men have commented that this is fair because women always do it but it is wrong for either sex to do it.. The only time it has any fairness is when the spouse has been there before the person has earned all of their money and supported them when they had nothing. If someone has been married for say 30 years then they split up, it is a different story altogether. Guy was with Madonna for 7 or so years and well after she was a superstar, so he does not deserve millions.

I also think Guy did try to get as much money as possible in the divorce - the lyrics in Lovespent point to that. This is one time where I do think the lyrics were directly expressing her thoughts and aimed at one person. Madonna has always talked about how important that marriage was to her. I don't dislike him at all but was disappointed in him for his comment about the marriage earning him a lot of money. I do think he loved her and maybe it was a quick sound bite but did not look good. You can tell that Madonna was very hurt at the way he took so much of her money hence Lovespent lyrics. Liz Rosenberg obviously leaked that information on purpose.

Remember that it's not the first time Madonna would use "money" as a metaphor for "love" -- and I'm not even reaching as far back as "Material Girl" -- I'm thinking of "Runway Lover" (Music album, 2000): "You'll never get your money back." The loss of dollars is just a metaphor for the loss of love, and that's what hurts the most.

I think a large part of the settlement was that estate, which Guy got to keep. The value of that property is included in the amount he is reported to have received.

I saw some news story a while back on the largest celebrity divorces. I think there 15 or 20, and Madonna's was the only one where the female party was the celebrity with the large assets. And I thought it was reported to be larger than the Paul McCartney divorce, but I could be completely incorrect there.

I meant to quote jonski about the divorce attorney comment ... yes, she probably had one of the best in the field to represent her, but ... the fact is she "didn't have a pre-nup" (IDGA) so she was gonna have to pay up, because that's just the way the law works, whether anyone agrees or disagrees. And remember that if she had the best, they got paid like the best -- so not only did she have to pay Guy, but she had to pay the hefty lawyers' fees, as well.

I have a different view on the whole issue of dividing money after marriage than most people. Personally, I find it unethical and wrong when a spouse takes millions of dollars off someone else that has worked so hard to earn that money. I know a lot of men have commented that this is fair because women always do it but it is wrong for either sex to do it.. The only time it has any fairness is when the spouse has been there before the person has earned all of their money and supported them when they had nothing. If someone has been married for say 30 years then they split up, it is a different story altogether. Guy was with Madonna for 7 or so years and well after she was a superstar, so he does not deserve millions.

I also think Guy did try to get as much money as possible in the divorce - the lyrics in Lovespent point to that. This is one time where I do think the lyrics were directly expressing her thoughts and aimed at one person. Madonna has always talked about how important that marriage was to her. I don't dislike him at all but was disappointed in him for his comment about the marriage earning him a lot of money. I do think he loved her and maybe it was a quick sound bite but did not look good. You can tell that Madonna was very hurt at the way he took so much of her money hence Lovespent lyrics. Liz Rosenberg obviously leaked that information on purpose.

They don't just give money to the other half for no reason. It's interesting how all the Brits on the board are saying that Guy isn't a money grabber and hasn't exploited Madonna but the non-Brits are saying he ripped her off and has taken her money. Our press are some of the most intrusive in the world and the divorce happened during a time of hacking and payoffs. There just wasn't anything in the press implying Guy had done anything bad.

Some of you need to accept that Madonna isn't always right or perfect. she's not a victim. She paid for a good reason. One we will never know about.

I need to go back to MDNA. it's been months since I listened to it.

Millions? Get out of here. If your divorcing someone why should you get one penny of their money? Why should you get one penny of their money if your married to someone? And why is everyone so hot to protect Guy? I doubt he's hurting. If Madonna was thinking straight she wouldn't have married him at all or at least had a prenuptial agreement. Some of you need to accept that Madonna doesn't always think like a business woman and actually thought she found someone that loved her for who she is. Oops.

There just wasn't anything in the press implying Guy had done anything bad.

Some of you need to accept that Madonna isn't always right or perfect. she's not a victim. She paid for a good reason. One we will never know about.

Guy hadn't done anything "bad" because when there is no pre-nuptial agreement, both parties are entitled to equitable division of the assets.

I learned that from Elle Woods. >insert snappy cute Legally Blonde gif here< :laugh:

If, as you say, this transpired during a time when there was a lot of hacking and wire-tapping by the press (which was why the divorce rumours were swirling so furiously) ... don't you think we'd know what the deep, dark secret is that has forced Madonna to pay Guy? Sorry to sound a little confrontational, but I think the implication in your post is that Guy did nothing wrong, and Madonna did something wrong, so she had to pay. If that really were the case, don't you think the British press would have gleefully spilled the juicy details?

:newspaper:

Millions? Get out of here. If your divorcing someone why should you get one penny of their money? Why should you get one penny of their money if your married to someone? And why is everyone so hot to protect Guy? I doubt he's hurting. If Madonna was thinking straight she wouldn't have married him at all or at least had a prenuptial agreement. Some of you need to accept that Madonna doesn't always think like a business woman and actually thought she found someone that loved her for who she is. Oops.

I don't think Madonna has regrets. I mean she certainly wouldn't regret her children who she clearly adores. Don't be stupid.

It has to be very hard to make a prenuptial agreement. And maybe Madonna was trying to be more generous and open and thought that it was time to be less into business and more into love.

Or was she crazy in love?

tumblr_inline_mqi4uf0mQA1qz4rgp.gif

They don't just give money to the other half for no reason. It's interesting how all the Brits on the board are saying that Guy isn't a money grabber and hasn't exploited Madonna but the non-Brits are saying he ripped her off and has taken her money. Our press are some of the most intrusive in the world and the divorce happened during a time of hacking and payoffs. There just wasn't anything in the press implying Guy had done anything bad.

I need to go back to MDNA. it's been months since I listened to it.

Nationality does not come into it for me. I am one of the very few here who actually prefer Guy to Sean Penn. I don't think of Madonna as a victim or as Guy as a gold digger but do think it is wrong for any spouse ( male or female ) to take so much money. I also feel that Katie Holmes and Heather Mills did not deserve millions. I am not a fan of Tom Cruise either. Madonna earned that money herself. I truly doubt she regretted her marriage and they probably have got over it now. They seemed very contented and in love for a long time. Shame that it ended so badly but life happens. I am not going to change my view on the unfairness of divorce settlements though.

Regarding the money aspect of the divorce:

- Guy is independently wealthy (already a millionaire before marrying Madonna) by way of his family and his own films;

- In the UK prenuptial agreements are not binding on a court of law;

- Madonna and Guy did not have a prenuptial agreement;

- I assume Madonna and Guy agreed on a Non Disclosure Agreement not to talk about divorce settlements;

- The British press probably played a nefarious part in initial reports that Guy had not received any money, perhaps twisting his statement that the divorce had never been about the money;

- After reports that Guy had not received any money, Liz Rosenberg issued statements about the financial aspects of the divorce settlement to Associated Press and BBC, each mentioning different estimates of the sums involved;

- Days after the Rosenberg statements Madonna and Guy issued a joint statement calling those earlier statements inaccurate and misleading.

It has been suggested in media reports that Guy supposedly said he was happy to have made money from the marriage. This is likely a distortion of a quote from an interview with Details magazine. In the December 2011 Details issue he is quoted as follows: When you end up with a lot of the things you set out to chase and find that you’ve stumbled into all sorts of hollow victories, then you become deeply philosophical. I’m quite happy that that experience was accelerated for me. I’m glad I made money, in other words. And I’m glad I got married.

In the end, M and Guy are the only ones who know what really happened and that is how it should be.

I don't think Madonna has regrets. I mean she certainly wouldn't regret her children who she clearly adores. Don't be stupid.

Right back at you. You don't have to be married to have children and I am sure Madonna is extremely thankful for her children.

Some people saying Guy didn't take her money because he was already rich....yeah right! Since when does people don't want more money? Get real!

Gotta get my money back!

Right back at you. You don't have to be married to have children and I am sure Madonna is extremely thankful for her children.

The whole point is that a union between two people created those children. It's alright to feel pain, to learn and to move on. Living in regret is pointless and stupid. That's why Madonna doesn't do it. She's smart and a decent person.

I read somewhere that the song was given to her completed, she made a few changes and added her vocals. If true, I wonder if the songwriter had Madonna in mind or it was a generalized story that one of Madonna's creative collaborators thought would fit her (quite perfectly actually) given her massive (yet generaly unpublicized) divorce settlement.

I think M made it far more personal with the tour version than she did with the album recording. It is quite infuriating that Ritchie was legally able to squeeze so much out of her. He didn't deserve shit. Had this been the other way around, the media would have never let it go....yet, it was hardly reported as the press would rather close shop than allow Madonna to appear victimized, wronged, or taken advantage of. As always, Madonna kept her dignity, and to this day she has not publicly mentioned Ritchie's name, much less denounce or berate him. Like a true artist, she saved her rage for her work.

I read somewhere that the song was given to her completed, she made a few changes and added her vocals.

To be fair, some songs from MDNA have been written by other people, yet their lyrics suit perfectly for Madonna, and it' easy to forget she hasn't written it alone!

Love Spent. Written by Madonna, William Orbit, Jean-Baptiste, Priscilla Hamilton, Alain Whyte, Ryan Buendia & Michael McHenry

As always, Madonna kept her dignity, and to this day she has not publicly mentioned Ritchie's name, much less denounce or berate him. Like a true artist, she saved her rage for her work.

Yes. That's something i respect a lot about her! And it's not easy to keep quiet about your ex when there's a sad divorce. But she was really strong, and if she ever had a tantrum, she had it at home (where all tantrums should be, except if you are Mariah or Gaga, then tantrums should be very public so we can laugh about it).