COVID-19 aka Coronavirus

Crux

8 hours ago, promise to try said:

I guess they haven´t understood anything that is happening

Because they have never suffered in any form of deadly flu virus such as SARS, H1N1 etc.

I had suffered from H1N1. I can tell you it's the WORST time I had ever experienced in my life. 39-41C + headache everyday. And I got it when I was in Tokyo where paracetamol is not available. Only ibuprofen & aspirin. I went to a local hospital and they prescribed ibuprofen but it didn't help. At the end, I had to resort to aspirin, I need to lower my temp down despite the fear of side effects. The sickness made me very depressed and sad but I had to make myself feel positive, forced myself to eat and drink water even though I have zero appetite nor feeling thristy. The whole damn thing lasted for 3 fucking weeks.

Stay safe and dun get out of the house until the virus is gone.

3 hours ago, horn said:

Because they have never suffered in any form of deadly flu virus such as SARS, H1N1 etc.

I had suffered from H1N1. I can tell you it's the WORST time I had ever experienced in my life. 39-41C + headache everyday. And I got it when I was in Tokyo where paracetamol is not available. Only ibuprofen & aspirin. I went to a local hospital and they prescribed ibuprofen but it didn't help. At the end, I had to resort to aspirin, I need to lower my temp down despite the fear of side effects. The sickness made me very depressed and sad but I had to make myself feel positive, forced myself to eat and drink water even though I have zero appetite nor feeling thristy. The whole damn thing lasted for 3 fucking weeks.

Stay safe and dun get out of the house until the virus is gone.

You've dealt with everything royally and with astounding bravery and resolution. Bravo! I never experienced those other recent epidemics but when I was 24 back in 2007 I've suffered from a bizarre brain infection which was causing wounds and cuts inside the brain, blurred eyesight etc

I spent 50 days chained to a hospital bed on IV drip and really strong antibiotics. It turned out I was allergic to some of them. It was hard to find a balance.  I'll never forget the colossal headaches and sweating and shaking at night. It was like someone hitting you on the head with a hammer over and over

1 minute ago, XXL said:

You've dealt with everything royally and with astounding bravery and resolution. Bravo! I never experienced those other recent epidemics but when I was 24 back in 2007 I've suffered a bizarre brain infection which was causing wounds and cuts inside the brain, blurred eyesight etc

I spent 50 days chained to a hospital bed on IV drip and really strong antibiotics. It turned out I was allergic to some of them. It was hard to find a balance.  I'll never forget the colossal headaches and sweating and shaking at night. It was like someone hitting you on the head with a hammer over and over

O M G!

Glad that you are OK.

I hope MNation members who are suffering from COVID-19 get well soon!

On 4/14/2020 at 6:32 PM, Martin B. said:

@Msig I am always impressed by the high level of social responsibility and discipline of the Danes, without any rigid containment measures by the government. To achieve the same level of containment in Quebec, the government had to impose strict rules and impose onerous fines for people who did not respect social distancing measures. You are truly an example in terms of people who are involved for the common good of their society.

Believe me, there are a**holes in Denmark, too.

Nonetheless, according to the Danish infectious diseases agency, it would be completely safe to reopen a wide range of Danish businesses immediately, as long a majority of adult Danes keep practicing physical distancing and maintaining a high level of hand hygiene.

Workplaces that might be reopened immediately include service businesses and public-sector offices. However, Danish health authorities recommend that restaurants, cafés, pubs, nightclubs, sports facilities, and boarding schools remain closed for the time being.

9 minutes ago, Msig said:

Nonetheless, according to the Danish infectious diseases agency, it would be completely safe to reopen a wide range of Danish businesses immediately, as long a majority of adult Danes keep practicing physical distancing and maintaining a high level of hand hygiene.

Workplaces that might be reopened immediately include service businesses and public-sector offices. However, Danish health authorities recommend that restaurants, cafés, pubs, nightclubs, sports facilities, and boarding schools remain closed for the time being.

Yes, this is important.

Lately there's a huge surge in COVID-19 infection in my country foreign workers dormitories due to the fact they ignored social distancing & hardly practise hand hygiene (80% of the country total infection are from foreign workers dormitories). 

That also explains why their home country are having > 10,000 cases (just started conducting testing) and still rising due to lack of hygiene.

3 hours ago, XXL said:

when I was 24 back in 2007 I've suffered from a bizarre brain infection which was causing wounds and cuts inside the brain, blurred eyesight etc

Glad you're ok, babe

Everyone be safe. 💋

1 hour ago, Msig said:

I know, there are assholes everywhere, but the concept of common good is a collective value well established in Denmark and in several Scandinavian countries.

I can not believe what is happening in USA especially in NYC . The images from that mass grave will be haunting me for a long time.

In Thailand our confirmed cases are going down . We are in the tens ( +30, +28, +33 etc ) as opposed to a few weeks ago where it was in the hundreds .

A LOT of people are facing unemployment and uncertain future. Most hotels / departments stores / shops and restaurants have been closed for a while .

I have a few friends who work for our national carrier Thai Airways and they are doing everything they can to make ends meet as they company can only afford to pay their

salaries ( which have been lowered by 10-50 % )  to the end of April . I've seen captain with 20 years experience selling off his prized vinyl record collection to flight attendants

cooking / selling food that can be delivered to your home .

4 hours ago, Butter9 said:

I can not believe what is happening in USA especially in NYC . The images from that mass grave will be haunting me for a long time.

In Thailand our confirmed cases are going down . We are in the tens ( +30, +28, +33 etc ) as opposed to a few weeks ago where it was in the hundreds .

A LOT of people are facing unemployment and uncertain future. Most hotels / departments stores / shops and restaurants have been closed for a while .

I have a few friends who work for our national carrier Thai Airways and they are doing everything they can to make ends meet as they company can only afford to pay their

salaries ( which have been lowered by 10-50 % )  to the end of April . I've seen captain with 20 years experience selling off his prized vinyl record collection to flight attendants

cooking / selling food that can be delivered to your home .

That's so sad. I hope the government pays part of the salary. In this crisis we can see that those countries where liberalism is the mantra the population are suffering. This virus should be the death toll of liberalism.

10 hours ago, Martin B. said:

I know, there are assholes everywhere, but the concept of common good is a collective value well established in Denmark and in several Scandinavian countries.

I'm very shocked at Sweden, tbqh. They're following the herd immunity route. It seems very dangerous. But then again in Sweden there seems to be some kind of social distance from old people (and people in general) for years. I think it was 25% of the elderly die alone there. And half the population live alone. Maybe that's why they didn't need a lockdown.

Almost half of the people in Denmark live alone too, as opposed to 20% of the Spaniards. That's an important factor too. 

1 hour ago, karbatal said:

I'm very shocked at Sweden, tbqh. They're following the herd immunity route. It seems very dangerous. But then again in Sweden there seems to be some kind of social distance from old people (and people in general) for years. I think it was 25% of the elderly die alone there. And half the population live alone. Maybe that's why they didn't need a lockdown.

Almost half of the people in Denmark live alone too, as opposed to 20% of the Spaniards. That's an important factor too. 

I was also terribly surprised that Sweden followed this road to face the pandemic. But, as you mentioned, the living conditions are different and so are the social habits.

51 minutes ago, Martin B. said:

I was also terribly surprised that Sweden followed this road to face the pandemic. But, as you mentioned, the living conditions are different and so are the social habits.

That's why when comparing countries there are a lot of factors. I don't like this narrative that Southern countries did it worse, first of all because we still don't know why some populations with similar culture have different levels of contagion (the use of different vaccines given as we child may play a big part here). Secondly, because the number of imported cases in January and February are different depending on how many tourists you get. That explains why northern Italy (where is located Venice) or Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, London and New York are the hot areas. Also, how people interact with others (greeting with a kiss, visiting elder family every day).

I'm sure that many countries have done things badly. I am very critical with my government too. But also let's remember that richer countries or those distributing were blocking the arrival of material and tests while they were testing and attending their populations oh so well. 

We know little about the virus and surely in months to come we'll know who was a good example on how to tackle a health crisis., That said, if the narrative is not biased. 

For me, one of the countries that is really an example of efficiency is Bulgaria. They established a lockdown very soon with very little cases. And they're doing very well. And look what happens with the biased narrative: now that Bulgarians are traveling to other EU countries to help in agriculture, there's a racist backlash from some Germans who fear that they will bring the virus with them. While in fact those Bulgarians are exposing themselves to help those very Germans eat their much needed food.

5 hours ago, karbatal said:

That's so sad. I hope the government pays part of the salary. In this crisis we can see that those countries where liberalism is the mantra the population are suffering. This virus should be the death toll of liberalism.

The Thai government is doing selective payment of just over 151 USD per household per month . They have just paid the people their first month and the PM came out and said there was enough money only for the one month instead of the promised six months stated in his previous statement . 

On the other hand we have recovered from the virus quicker than expected and will be easing our lockdown in probably 6-7 days . 

Thailand is a democratic country but if we are being honest it's always been under military's firm grip. 

I hope you are OK . Spain seems to be doing better and so has Italy and rest of Europe ( except UK ) .

I've a few friends in the US and they are saying it's not a pleasant place to be at the moment . A good friend of mine who works for the Thai embassy in New York hasn't left his house in 48 days .

5 hours ago, karbatal said:

Well - if you look at the numbers, actually, it seems they took the wrong decision. But I guess time will tell.

FINALLY GOOD NEWS!!!!!!

Gilead drug boosts investor hopes for coronavirus treatment

Early impressions from US study show severely ill patients in clinical trial recovering quickly

A vial of Gilead’s drug remdesivir. The company has urged caution on the initial data
A vial of Gilead’s drug remdesivir. The company has urged caution on the initial data © AP

Among all Western World countries, the US and the UK are the only two to have started dealing with the problem late. Now they're paying a higher toll. Particularly the US of course that already is characterized by a deficiency in its health service. It's sad really

It's true. Scandinavian countries and I would say a country like Canada also or New Zealand are the new hot destinations. Compared to other places that were once deemed most desirable. Have become quite corrupt and uncivilised

9 hours ago, LSD said:

:rotfl: :electropop:

These people are thinking about hot dogs and pop corn. They have yet to grasp the Old World is gone and a New One is coming

2 hours ago, karbatal said:

FINALLY GOOD NEWS!!!!!!

Gilead drug boosts investor hopes for coronavirus treatment

Early impressions from US study show severely ill patients in clinical trial recovering quickly

A vial of Gilead’s drug remdesivir. The company has urged caution on the initial data
A vial of Gilead’s drug remdesivir. The company has urged caution on the initial data © AP

Not necessarily. From what I read, there was no control group in this trial. Also, Gilead? Known of excessive pricing and remember Tamiflu? I don't trust them. At all. 

And the headline says it all "...boosts investors hopes…". I hate those times. People need to wake up. When will the realize that everything that goes wrong at the moment on this planet has to do with "investors" and their excessive greed and their mentality that losses should be socialized while profits should be privatized. I fear the system will blow up sooner than later and the results will be truly ugly. 

2 hours ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

Not necessarily. From what I read, there was no control group in this trial. Also, Gilead? Known of excessive pricing and remember Tamiflu? I don't trust them. At all. 

And the headline says it all "...boosts investors hopes…". I hate those times. People need to wake up. When will the realize that everything that goes wrong at the moment on this planet has to do with "investors" and their excessive greed and their mentality that losses should be socialized while profits should be privatized. I fear the system will blow up sooner than later and the results will be truly ugly. 

Maybe you are right. I am such in need of good news that I pray you're wrong. Besides, sooner or later there'll be some treatment. Before the vaccine there'll be a good treatment..