COVID-19 aka Coronavirus

Crux

4 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

This virus is really bringing out the worst in many people. Working at emergency services, we hear it all.  Domestic violence, nastiness, pettiness and continual abuse. Luckily, helpful caring people are there as well to restore faith in humanity. 

I'm thinking a lot about you these days. Everyday we clap in Spain from our balconies to those workers giving so much in times like this and I think of you and so many here giving their all.

5 minutes ago, Andra said:

I don't blame that nurse one bit. She did not sign up for this crap, to sacrifice her own life or risk her kids life or her family's life. When health workers sign up for this job they are told they will have the adequate protection, supplies. They DON'T. So how can you judge her for prioritizing her own health?

I don't know. It is my very personal opinion.  I would need of course all the info and I can't pur myself in her place because I don't go through her situation. So take my opinion with a very big grain of salt. Health workers are known historically for having to put the patient first. I understand that this is not as a war field with bombs falling, but if every health worker did as this woman, many hospitals would be empty. 

I’ve always thought paramedics/ EMT workers were way underpaid even before this outbreak.   I’ve taken a CPR class in the past at work but commend people who handle those situations on a day to day basis.   Especially without panicking.  I’m not sure how I’d cope.

Care managers as well for the elderly I’ve always thought are way underpaid.   Many now are in the front lines of this and can’t use social distancing.  

If there is the slightest bit of silver lining to this all is the appreciation for people who provide these services.  

In Italy the number of new cases and of victims (still high) keeps decreasing. The measures are working. The national lockdown is extended to April 13. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-lockdown/italys-coronavirus-lockdown-measures-to-be-extended-to-april-13-minister-idUSKBN21J4RU

I'm surprise no one talks about that:

http://www.rfi.fr/en/europe/20200402-china-coronavirus-face-mask-france-stolen-us

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/02/global-battle-coronavirus-equipment-masks-tests

If this is true, this is very insane, disgusting and vile. 
Just like when Trump offered a German medical company “large sums of money” for exclusive rights to a  vaccine.

2 hours ago, runa said:

I'm surprise no one talks about that:

http://www.rfi.fr/en/europe/20200402-china-coronavirus-face-mask-france-stolen-us

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/02/global-battle-coronavirus-equipment-masks-tests

If this is true, this is very insane, disgusting and vile. 
Just like when Trump offered a German medical company “large sums of money” for exclusive rights to a  vaccine.

It's happening in every way, tbqh. France and Germany stopped material to reach Spain. 

That's the wonderful system in our world. And who knows, maybe Spain is doing the same. No country is without doubt. 

This crisis is showing our true colours as society.

I just saw what is happening in Ecuador  💔

People are dying on the streets and they starting to burning bodies ON the streets!! because the system has collapse 😢

16 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Everyone should be slammed for saying that a deadly virus is an " equaliser".  Sickness, care etc is never equal. Richer people have better care, medical help and support than poor people.   There is nothing equal about the Coronavirus. 

In this case, the rich people have as much chance as dying as a ‘poor person’. Yes there’s hospital support but they don’t always work in keeping people alive and lots of rich famous people have died. Especially since there’s isn’t treatment or a vaccine yet. 

From the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/apr/03/coronavirus-update-live-news-usa-uk-spain-italy-china-who-middle-east-spike-world-global-cases-latest-updates

Concern is growing that a woefully inadequate health system will leave Malawi unable to cope when Covid-19 arrives.

In Malawi only 20 people a day can be tested for the virus, and there are just 25 intensive care unit beds and seven ventilators in the country of more than 18 million people, John Vidal reports in this piece for the Guardian.

Since February, however, the government has been racing to curb Covid’s arrival.

It has wheeled out a £24m preparedness plan, suspended international flights, banned weddings and gatherings of more than 100 people, closed schools and universities, and is making anyone arriving from Europe, China, or the US self-isolate.

According to the ministry of health, 4,603 people who have entered the country in the past few weeks are “under surveillance”.

9 hours ago, Marcelox said:

I just saw what is happening in Ecuador  💔

People are dying on the streets and they starting to burning bodies ON the streets!! because the system has collapse 😢

Watched news clips on Ecuador as well. Very sad. 

13 hours ago, I Don’t Search I Find said:

Thank goodness! Now Fox Viewers now know about it and how to spell it. 🙏🏻

Now I know my C-O-V-I-D-1-9

Next time won't you spell with me

We knew so little about this virus! Thankfully we're learning a lot as weeks go by. 

There's very interesting information about why Slavic countries have less people infected. It may be related with the tuberculosis vaccine. It seems that those countries have a health policy of revaccination that other countries don't have. It seems that Portugal has the same policy and that could explain why Portugal has far less numbers than Spain. 

EDIT: Media outlets I've searched don't inform about revaccination but rather a kind of vaccine different from the TB one that other countries, such as Spain, USA, Italy and such is common. The revaccination info comes to me through my husband, who is following Bulgarian media.

Anyway, there's hope.

1 hour ago, rebelvvv said:

People forgot to mention that every Asian country until recently, Germany, many other European countries, and Australia also banned all exports of medical supplies.

Sorry but you not confiscate something that has already been paid and sent to its destination. Turkey just did that too with a cargo plane coming from China and heading to Spain. You stop selling them, right, but not STEAL the material already sent. 

20 minutes ago, karbatal said:

what Turkey has just done should have consequences in the Human Rights Tribunal. The EU should speak.

What have they done? Give everyone a copy of Chromatica CD? :shock: 

34 minutes ago, Django said:

Sorry but you not confiscate something that has already been paid and sent to its destination. Turkey just did that too with a cargo plane coming from China and heading to Spain. You stop selling them, right, but not STEAL the material already sent. 

I mean, pot, kettle:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-09/germany-faces-backlash-from-neighbors-over-mask-export-ban

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11221578/french-snatch-lorries-130000-coronavirus-masks/

Germany, France, etc. have ALL done this.

2 minutes ago, rebelvvv said:

Oh yeah, France and Germany too. But we talked about them in the previous pages. Now it's the US and i stand by my words.

1 hour ago, horn said:

What have they done? Give everyone a copy of Chromatica CD? :shock: 

They stole ventilators payed by Spain in a dramatic situation like this. 

I can't imagine nothing more despicable at this moment. I hope there are consequences.

On 4/2/2020 at 5:45 PM, LSD said:

This is disgusting. I worked for DoD-Navy as a civilian in the early 1980s. The Navy culture is close and a Good Capitan will always do his utmost to protect his crew. Captain Crozier was a Good Capitan. I respect the heck out of him. He prolly knew what was gonna happen. Proves yet again, BLOTUS is a bad prezident. 

I can not believe Trump has come out and say he wouldn't be wearing a face mask . 

Wearing face mask has saved many lives in Asia I can tell you that .

The WHO is flip flopping on the issue is stupid but predictable . I think they're afraid people will stock up on masks ( as is the case around Asia and the whole world now probably  ) and there won't be any supply left for the front-liners ( doctors , nurses , people who work in hospitals etc ) .

That's happening right now in Thailand . Doctors/ nurses Thailand  have to make  their own masks from fabric which is not N95 and will give 50-60% protection instead of the hard to find N95 version. We are also running out of PPE as well. 

Curfew has been imposed on the country . Deadline is 30th April but I think it will last probably until June / July .

I've been reading and masks don't protect eyes and make you touch your face to adjust it. On the other hand others say that it prevents saliva and air particles to travel. That's why they're flip flopping. There's no consensus because what really would be effective would be to combine the mask with some screen mask. 

No . They are flip flopping because in Asia ,and I imagine the rest of the world now , people are hoarding face masks . A box of 50 N95 face masks that costs less than 5 UK pounds is now on the market for almost 25 pounds if not more . Front liners do not have proper gears due to the greed of these people and the inefficiency of the some governments .

Also the virus is spread through droplets so face masks give you a certain level of protection . If you want to feel super safe you should combine it with a face shield but that's if you are in a heavily contagious areas such as hospitals / next to a sick person .