2016 American Presidential Thread

Camacho

I'm sorry but Russia is increasingly putting its foot down on too many issues lately. I'm not talking about their human rights legislation, etc... but what they did to that plane was disgusting! They shot it down and no questions was asked.. they have this big sense of entitlement for rebuilding the big Russian empire by reclaiming countries which don't belong to them anymore. Ukraine is the biggest example. I'm not saying the USA is better but if I had to choose between Russia and the USA I would choose America without a second thought kill me. 

Besides anti Americanism is rampant in Europe... especially in countries like Italy. I know that very well cus at school all the "cool" kids would have that sort of mentality. Quite hypocritical as they would condemn  American capitalism but they would still pick on me cus I wasnt wearing brand clothes or keep up with the latest US popular program or film hahaha... one more reason why I didn't like growing up there. Oh well..

Also, show me a country which doesn't look after their own interests and I ll show you heaven. At least the US did great things for the sake of the entire world.. I wonder what Russia has ever did to stabilise peace on earth. 

Thats my two cents on the matter anyways...

US did a lot to destabilize the world too. 

Regardless, I was hoping for a candidate who is more diplomatic. God forbid, it was too much to ask from a democratic nominee. 

14 hours ago, KalamazooJay said:

Yikes. He's going full on into scorched Earth mode. He's going to blow up the entire republican party on his way down. 

It saddens me that we've reached this point in American politics. There's a certain kind of despair I can't quite put my finger on. Yes, the republicans more or less created this monster, but I know plenty of like minded, rational, and pragmatic conservatives and republicans. Some of them are very close friends, and they're so horrified by all of this. This isn't their party. This is the party of Rush, Steve Bannon, Alex Jones, Brietbart and it's horrific to witness it succumb to these depths. 

It's just unthinkable that we have another 30 days of this. I mean, if today before 2pm EST time can be THIS eventful with what he's spewing out, I can't imagine what the next month will be like........ 

Sorry, but this is their party.

Republicans in leadership positions have been giving a wink and nudge to the social extremists with their rhetoric, if not actions, around women's rights, immigration, safeguarding christianity, squashing gender and sexuality issues. A lot of the republicans don't follow through on the extreme rhetoric but use it to energise a base that will come out to vote. They have been cultivating this rabid group and not always delivering on the crazy agenda when in power. Now along comes Trump and they feel like he's their man that will finally fulfil what establish Republicans allude to or do in half measures.

This is the party that establishment republicans created by playing divisive politics.

Your friends have to deal with it and shoulder the blame.

10 hours ago, Hector said:

This gives me so much life :confessions: :confessions::confessions:

:dead:

4 hours ago, ULIZOS said:

Russia's economy contracted in 2015 and 2016 but the WEF has a modest positive outlook for Russia for 2017, thanks in part to surging oil prices. If anything Russia's economy is stagnant, but it's not collapsing. AND their public debt is like 15% of their GDP. It's like 90% in France. And it's over 100% in the US. The US owes more than it produces. AND he's massively popular in his country. 

I'm not defending him, in fact, I think all these countries trying to show off the size of their dicks are fucking ridiculous, but painting this gloomy picture as if Russia were about to implode is just dumb. 

Putin is going nowhere whether anyone likes it or not and it's the West who's basically made all the compromises over the years, not Russia. 

Russia has defaulted how many times in the last 25 years? And their problem is not that they have hardly any public debt (as a result of declaring bankruptcy again and again), their problem is that they don't have access to new credits and foreign investment because of the sanctions. Russias problem is that they heavily rely on oil and gas exports, they have nothing that comes from the industrial sector, they are not a world leader in anything to compensate the problems that arise once the oil price is falling. And in times when the western world is making huge investments in renewable energies to become more and more independent from oil and gas, what is their strategy?

And Putin massively popular? Hmmmh, hard to tell. The problems with countries like Russia, China, North Korea, Turkey is, that you never know what large parts of the people think because they don't really raise their voices. As I mentioned earlier, countries like Russia or China don't really have democratic traditions like Europe or the U.S. Their history is basically from monarchy (Czar and Emperor) to communist regime to something they call democracy but is really still the reign of a single party and does not really allow any political opposition. The people of those countries don't seem to know better. They are very inactive in their political approach. I dare to say that if countries in Europe had similar political situations including human rights records or working and environmental conditions there would be revolutions just as there has been revolutions decades and centuries ago whenever the situation became so unbearable. At some point people stood up for change. There is a tradition. For some reason for Russians and Chinese this seems rather unnatural.

7 hours ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

If I may:

Moscow solidified its hold on Crimea in April, outlawing the Tatar legislature that had opposed Russia’s annexation of the region since 2014. Together with Russian military provocations against NATO forces in and around the Baltic, this move seems to
validate the observations of Western analysts who argue that under Vladimir Putin, an increasingly aggressive Russia is determined to dominate its neighbors and menace Europe.
Leaders in Moscow, however, tell a different story. For them, Russia is the aggrieved party. They claim the United States has failed to uphold a promise that NATO would not expand into Eastern Europe, a deal made during the 1990 negotiations between the West and the Soviet Union over German unification. In this view, Russia is being forced to forestall NATO’s eastward march as a matter of self-defense.

The West has vigorously protested that no such deal was ever struck. However, hundreds of memos, meeting minutes and transcripts from U.S. archives indicate otherwise. Although what the documents reveal isn’t enough to make Putin a saint, it suggests that the diagnosis of Russian predation isn’t entirely fair. Europe’s stability may depend just as much on the West’s willingness to reassure Russia about NATO’s limits as on deterring Moscow’s adventurism.
(...)
In early February 1990, U.S. leaders made the Soviets an offer. According to transcripts of meetings in Moscow on Feb. 9, then-Secretary of State James Baker suggested that in exchange for cooperation on Germany, U.S. could make “iron-clad guarantees” that NATO would not expand “one inch eastward.” Less than a week later, Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev agreed to begin reunification talks. No formal deal was struck, but from all the evidence, the quid pro quo was clear: Gorbachev acceded to Germany’s western alignment and the U.S. would limit NATO’s expansion.

(...)

NATO’S widening umbrella doesn’t justify Putin’s bellicosity or his incursions in Ukraine or Georgia. Still, the evidence suggests that Russia’s protests have merit and that U.S. policy has contributed to current tensions in Europe.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-shifrinson-russia-us-nato-deal--20160530-snap-story.html

Well, if no such thing as “iron-clad guarantees” that NATO would not expand “one inch eastward.”  were contractually agreed upon, blame the Soviet negotiators. Furthermore, what they may have been talking about is that the NATO would not actively approach other countries in regards to a possible NATO membership. And they did not. Fact is, the Baltic countries and other former Soviet "allies" like Poland or Hungary applied for NATO membership on their own. Those are independent countries with independent governments. Of course Russia wants to see this differently. They still believe they should have a say in countries that used to be part of the Soviet Union. And the whole NATO argument from Russian side is kind of ridiculous. What are they afraid of? Invasion? On the other hand, for the Baltic states it makes perfect sense to have the NATO protect them. It's no secret they have fears that Russia might invade them at some point. It happened to other regions before.

4 minutes ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

Well, if no such thing as “iron-clad guarantees” that NATO would not expand “one inch eastward.”  were contractually agreed upon, blame the Soviet negotiators. Furthermore, what they may have been talking about is that the NATO would not actively approach other countries in regards to a possible NATO membership. And they did not. Fact is, the Baltic countries and other former Soviet "allies" like Poland or Hungary applied for NATO membership on their own. Those are independent countries with independent governments. Of course Russia wants to see this differently. They still believe they should have a say in countries that used to be part of the Soviet Union. And the whole NATO argument from Russian side is kind of ridiculous. What are they afraid of? Invasion? On the other hand, for the Baltic states it makes perfect sense to have the NATO protect them. It's no secret they have fears that Russia might invade them at some point. It happened to other regions before.

Totally agree. Why should Russia have any say in what other independent countries should or shouldn't do? The Baltic states had no other choice but to join NATO to defend themselves from what happened in 1940. Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic weren't even part of Soviet Union, so why shouldn't they join NATO?

1 hour ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

Russia has defaulted how many times in the last 25 years? And their problem is not that they have hardly any public debt (as a result of declaring bankruptcy again and again), their problem is that they don't have access to new credits and foreign investment because of the sanctions. Russias problem is that they heavily rely on oil and gas exports, they have nothing that comes from the industrial sector, they are not a world leader in anything to compensate the problems that arise once the oil price is falling. And in times when the western world is making huge investments in renewable energies to become more and more independent from oil and gas, what is their strategy?

And Putin massively popular? Hmmmh, hard to tell. The problems with countries like Russia, China, North Korea, Turkey is, that you never know what large parts of the people think because they don't really raise their voices. As I mentioned earlier, countries like Russia or China don't really have democratic traditions like Europe or the U.S. Their history is basically from monarchy (Czar and Emperor) to communist regime to something they call democracy but is really still the reign of a single party and does not really allow any political opposition. The people of those countries don't seem to know better. They are very inactive in their political approach. I dare to say that if countries in Europe had similar political situations including human rights records or working and environmental conditions there would be revolutions just as there has been revolutions decades and centuries ago whenever the situation became so unbearable. At some point people stood up for change. There is a tradition. For some reason for Russians and Chinese this seems rather unnatural.

Ask yourself, is America really that much more of a political democracy then Russia, China or Noeth Korea? America allows its citizens the option to only really vote for 2 political parties ( which is basically 1 more then the aforementioned ) and when a minority party such as Jill / Greens are introduced they are laughed at and given no real potential. Now compare this to Australia and UK where you have a 3rd major political party and many indepenedents who make it through and have an actual voice in parliment and their citizens have actual alternatives to the two major political parties. 

American politics and its systems have not changed in over 50 years, which shows you how stagnant and sheepish it is ( and no real better then Russia ) and the lack of options for its citizens. And when your only options are 2 goobers such as hilary or trump your basically fucked.

Guest CzarnaWisnia
1 hour ago, pieciolot said:

Totally agree. Why should Russia have any say in what other independent countries should or shouldn't do?

And why should the USA have any say in what other independent countries should or shouldn't do?

6 minutes ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

And why should the USA have any say in what other independent countries should or shouldn't do?

When it comes to NATO all the new members joined in based on their own sovereign decision. The weren't told by USA to do so.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Until the Ukraine crisis, Russia was the only country under threat. And it responded to that threat.

And of course EE countries are independent in many ways, but if you believe the US don't have influence on them, you're blindsighted. Politics are all about strategy, pressure and having the biggest hand. It's never about protecting populations.

2 hours ago, pieciolot said:

Totally agree. Why should Russia have any say in what other independent countries should or shouldn't do? 

That's EXACTLY why so people hate the U.S. and the West. 

I'm seriously not defending Russia, I just hate this hypocrisy. Nobody here has a problem when the U.S. does it, but it's awful when Russia or anyone else does it.

5 hours ago, ENSLAVER said:

Sorry, but this is their party.

Republicans in leadership positions have been giving a wink and nudge to the social extremists with their rhetoric, if not actions, around women's rights, immigration, safeguarding christianity, squashing gender and sexuality issues. A lot of the republicans don't follow through on the extreme rhetoric but use it to energise a base that will come out to vote. They have been cultivating this rabid group and not always delivering on the crazy agenda when in power. Now along comes Trump and they feel like he's their man that will finally fulfil what establish Republicans allude to or do in half measures.

This is the party that establishment republicans created by playing divisive politics.

Your friends have to deal with it and shoulder the blame.

:dead:

Well, to give you a back story. Two of the individuals I'm speaking for are elected community officials who never jumped on the alt right bandwagon you're thinly referencing. These are people who have worked within our community, with democrats, religious leaders, minority leaders, and absolutely reject the race bating, hard line immigration policies, etc. As a gay man, they've worked with me to help reach out to those who may not understand the many struggles our community faces and have been to the gay youth groups that I volunteer at.

So, please spare me your generalizations that all republicans share this vile philosophy from Trump and the alt right. There have been plenty of conservative voices that aren't on a national stage who have been working to try to stamp down this rhetoric. Unfortunately, their voices are shouted down or they're voted out of office. 

12 minutes ago, Ciccone's Cheeks said:

I do too ;8P!! :D 

It's my dream to become the Mexican Gay Male Ann Coulter. Since they don't have their own version, I'll make millions and millions and millions just saying crazy shit on TV that deep down inside we all know is kind of true, no matter how awful it might sound.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!  Obama answering to that radio host nu job Alex Jones who they other day said Obama and Hillary are literal demons that smell like sulfur.

Can I just say that I am also so sick of the talking point that in this election we have two BAD choices.  Give me a fucking break.  One man is a certified sociopath psycho, and the other is Hillary Clinton.

I am at the point now where I am saying FUCK IT!   I AM VOTING FOR HILLARY MORE THAN I AM VOTING AGAINST TRUMP!!!!!  Stick that in your ass and smoke it.

GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!  Will be PROUD to have you as our next President.

3 hours ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

Until the Ukraine crisis, Russia was the only country under threat. And it responded to that threat.

And of course EE countries are independent in many ways, but if you believe the US don't have influence on them, you're blindsighted. Politics are all about strategy, pressure and having the biggest hand. It's never about protecting populations.

Why do you think think EE countries joined NATO? Because they were under threat. From Russia. So no, Russia wasn't the only country under  threat. That's ridiculous. 

Guest CzarnaWisnia
1 minute ago, pieciolot said:

Why do you think think EE countries joined NATO? Because they were under threat. From Russia. So no, Russia wasn't the only country under  threat. That's ridiculous. 

What threat were they under exactly?

Now that NATO (meaning the USA) has lodged missiles on Polish ground aimed at Russia, yeah, I'd say Poland has become a threat to Russia and is in danger, as are any bordering countries where the US has installed military personel and weapons aimed at Russia.

2 hours ago, Skin said:

Can I just say that I am also so sick of the talking point that in this election we have two BAD choices.  Give me a fucking break.  One man is a certified sociopath psycho, and the other is Hillary Clinton.

I am at the point now where I am saying FUCK IT!   I AM VOTING FOR HILLARY MORE THAN I AM VOTING AGAINST TRUMP!!!!!  Stick that in your ass and smoke it.

GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!  Will be PROUD to have you as our next President.

Why do you get so angry? If Hillary Clinton, sorry, when Hillary is elected, because she's clearly going to win, she will be the most unfavorable candidate to be elected in the history of the U.S.

YOU will be proud to have her as the U.S.'s next President, and yes, so will many others, but probably for the first time ever we will have a president who less than half of the voting population actually likes her. Get ready for 4 extremely polarizing years. 

31 minutes ago, ULIZOS said:

Why do you get so angry? If Hillary Clinton, sorry, when Hillary is elected, because she's clearly going to win, she will be the most unfavorable candidate to be elected in the history of the U.S.

YOU will be proud to have her as the U.S.'s next President, and yes, so will many others, but probably for the first time ever we will have a president who less than half of the voting population actually likes her. Get ready for 4 extremely polarizing years.

It would have been polarizing no matter what.  The democrats could have run Ronald Reagan and as long as a "D" was next to his name the republicans would have painted him out to be Satan.

And I am not angry.  I am as of right now overjoyed at watching Trump implode, but at the same time so sick and tired of this idea that him and Hillary are on this same level when it comes to who they are as people.   Give me a break.