Inside the Iconic Vogue MTV Awards performance

Raf

Info from the night, thanks wikipedia :lol:

Performances

Video Vanguard Award

Janet Jackson

Video of the Year

Sinéad O'Connor — "Nothing Compares 2 U"

I remember I was so frustrated about that............!

Vogue is still ICONIC. Way more than Nothing Compares 2 U.

Heavens yes. Vogue is pure artistry and holds up. Wonderful every time we watch it. How it could be beaten by a close up of someone's face singing and crying is beyond me.

Stuff from that night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgY2sEOtu5g

:inlove: Twin Peaks

3934862_orig.jpg

111174661-kim-basinger-during-1990-mtv-vsineadoconnor1990getty.jpg?mw=398

M's performance (and probably Sherilyn Fenn's fashion sense) is the only thin g from that night not to seem dated.

There's nothing bad about being dated, were nostalgic for those times now, but Madonna's performance despite being set in the 18th century is the most timeless thing that occured that evening. :lmao:

That performance of Vogue could be done tonight at an awards show and it you wouldn't think 'Wow, that's sooo 90's.', it's timeless.

I think the thing was, is that Sinead brought genuine emotion to the music video, that's why it won. But by god that video has dated and looks so basic now.

I didn't have MTV at the time, but luckily ITV shown it the next night or so. God knows how long it took me to see Sooner or Later.. I believe the Oscars were shown live on terrestrial British TV at the time cuz I tried watching them most years as a kid :wow::sassy: yet I missed that.

God knows how long it took me to see Sooner or Later.. I believe the Oscars were shown live on terrestrial British TV at the time cuz I tried watching them most years as a kid :wow::sassy: yet I missed that.

Sadly the Oscars were only shown on Sky Movies in 1991.

On the 20th Anniversary of VMAs 90 I posted this video of all the Madonna mentions from the show. Worth a look if you want to re-live it. YouTube are funny about MTV uploads - so I had to use Blogger video (which I can't embed here).

Will upload stuff in better quality for the 25th Anniversary.

http://www.madonna-tv.com/2010/09/1990-all-vma-award-presentations.html

VMA1990Awards.JPG

There was a brief time they were shown on the BBC in the 90s. Madonna was interviewed by Barry Norman about Evita, she attended the year before with Alan Parker, the monkey skit year.

You are right about that. BBC got to show the Oscars live many years in the UK (sadly not in 1991) - and I have that Madonna interview from the 1995 Awards telecast on tape thanks to them!!

Interesting in that VMA video - for the "Best Choreography" nomination which is for Jose & Luis, they show the amazing scene of Madonna dancing with Oliver, which Oliver says he choreographed entirely himself lol!

Yes it didn't get much attention and it's a shame there's no video footage that we know of - but as I mentioned, it did get some media coverage at the time (I first heard about it via Entertainment Tonight the night after it happened).

It was the 4th Annual APLA "Commitment To Life" event, September 7th 1990 a the Wiltern Theater - and Madonna was given an award by Bette Midler, as well as doing her Vogue performance. Other celebs in attendance included Rod Stewart, Angelica Houston, Rob Lowe, Patrick Dempsey, Sir Ian McKellan and James Woods.

1990%2BAPLA%2BSeptember%2B7%2B1990%2B209

tumblr_npb36y54eB1raznnho2_500.jpg

Wow, thanks Jamesy, you always have incredible stuff to share with us.

Would have loved to have seen this on stage. Love Madonna's look here, the suit and the straight hair.

madonna_mtvvma_1990_vogue_01.jpg

Often recalled as the “Marie Antoinette” performance, Madonna’s game-changing 1990 rendition of her hit “Vogue” was based on the film Dangerous Liaisons, with Madge donning Michelle Pfeiffer’s actual dress from the movie. Luis Camacho and Jose Gutierez, both of whom danced on Madonna’s “Blonde Ambition” tour and choreographed and danced in the original “Vogue” video and VMA number, recall that unforgettable night.

Gutierez: At first, we were going to do another song, 'cause people were already sick of us doing this. We had already vogued all year. It was between “Keep it Together” and something else.

Camacho: The idea [for the “Vogue” performance] came about during a game of charades. During the last days of the tour, we were in the South of France, in Nice, and one of the charades was Dangerous Liaisons. I was sitting next to her, and Madonna goes, “You know, that’s very ‘Vogue.’ ”

Gutierez: For the choreography, I was trying to basically keep the same stuff that was in the chorus section [of the video]. Everyone remembers those counts of eight from the chorus. Voguing is very arrogant and very aristocratic with all this attitude, so I think the theme and the costumes made us emulate it even more.

Camacho: The only thing that had us a little nervous were the fans the women [dancers] had. At one point in the choreography, they flipped the fans in the air, and they’re supposed to catch them. At almost every rehearsal, somebody would drop the fan.

Gutierez: Janet Jackson’s dancers also were performing that night, and there was always this Janet and Madonna competition throughout the years. Janet opened the show with “Black Cat” and we were closing the show, so we got to see them go on first. We were so amped because we were like, “Oh my God, they sucked! They were so bad!” We were like, “Oh, it’s in the bag!”

Camacho: We were also up for an award that night for best choreography.

Gutierez: I really wanted to win, but I knew that we weren’t going to. Madonna told us, “Don’t get your hopes up, because it’s very political in these awards ceremonies. They’re not going to give it to two young kids from the Lower East Side.” I was like, “You don’t know that!”

Camacho: By the time we went to perform, we [hadn’t won]. Standing offstage, Jose and I felt like, “We are about to show you why we should have gotten that award.” We always did a prayer circle before we went on stage. Madonna was like, “Let’s go out there and give it to them! Let’s serve it up, ladies and gentlemen!”

Gutierez: You can see our energy. It’s that moment when the curtain goes up and we are there, and everyone in the crowd just rises to their feet. I was jumping out of my skin.

Camacho: And no one dropped a fan! After they all caught it, we all clapped and breathed a sigh of relief. It was a nail-biter.

Gutierez: Talking about it now is like reliving those moments of being on stage—it gives you this rush of wanting to be the best and wanting to leave such an impression. It’s crazy because 25 years later, people still remember. I still get recognized on the street from this job that I did 25 years ago, and it feels so good.

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/34736/inside-3-iconic-mtv-vmas-moments-with-madonna-britney-and-lady-gaga/

BOW DOWN

:bow::bow::bow:

Gutierez: Janet Jacksons dancers also were performing that night, and there was always this Janet and Madonna competition throughout the years. Janet opened the show with Black Cat and we were closing the show, so we got to see them go on first. We were so amped because we were like, Oh my God, they sucked! They were so bad! We were like, Oh, its in the bag!

Everyone hates THE BEAST!!! :rotfl:

:dead::dead:

[strawberryBounce] Here's the queen Janet slaying with her iconic legendary Black Cat performance! :catty: [/strawberryBounce]

https://vimeo.com/104068091

:rotfl:

Pathetic how she's supposed to be one of the great performers. Another great serving of not making eye contact with your audience, not making love with the camera. More robotic, going-through-the-motions, lifeless hopping around

I can picture Paula Abdul checking on her from behind the curtains. Queen Of Whithper. AWKWARD. And as usual no sense of humour, ever

Amazing performance! The fans! The presentation! The perfection!

I wonder where the dress is now? Glenn Close is an alumna of the College of William and Mary ... a couple years ago, they had a retrospective exhibition of famouse costumes Glenn has worn at the on-campus art museum. I really wanted to get there to see it while it was on display, but I wasn't able to, unfortunately. (I actually was in town for a baptism over a weekend, but I wasn't there while the museum was open, so ...) Anyway, my point was, I wondered if Madonna borrowed this from Glenn, or from someone else connected to the film's costumes, and then if it went back to the person it was borrowed from, or if Madonna bought it, etc.

Camacho: The only thing that had us a little nervous were the fans the women [dancers] had. At one point in the choreography, they flipped the fans in the air, and theyre supposed to catch them. At almost every rehearsal, somebody would drop the fan.

DON'T look at me!

hqdefault.jpgmadonna-200-070312.jpg

:rotfl:

Pathetic how she's supposed to be one of the great performers. Another great serving of not making eye contact with your audience, not making love with the camera. More robotic, going-through-the-motions, lifeless hopping around

I can picture Paula Abdul checking on her from behind the curtains. Queen Of Whithper. AWKWARD. And as usual no sense of humour, ever

Watching this poor MJ esque presentation, I wonder, why is there no VHS recording from any fan in the planet of Vogue at the VMA's?

Amazing performance! The fans! The presentation! The perfection!

I wonder where the dress is now? Glenn Close is an alumna of the College of William and Mary ... a couple years ago, they had a retrospective exhibition of famouse costumes Glenn has worn at the on-campus art museum. I really wanted to get there to see it while it was on display, but I wasn't able to, unfortunately. (I actually was in town for a baptism over a weekend, but I wasn't there while the museum was open, so ...) Anyway, my point was, I wondered if Madonna borrowed this from Glenn, or from someone else connected to the film's costumes, and then if it went back to the person it was borrowed from, or if Madonna bought it, etc.

The movie won an Academy Award for Best Costume Design, must still belong to the designer, James Acheson.

I wonder, why is there no VHS recording from any fan in the planet of Vogue at the VMA's?

I've got it. A lot of fans probably do.

It's just that a little over 2 months later The Immaculate Collection home video in the US (and the "Justify My Love" video single abroad) included the performance rendering those TV recordings largely unnecessary.

It's just that a little over 2 months later The Immaculate Collection home video in the US (and the "Justify My Love" video single abroad) included the performance rendering those TV recordings largely unnecessary.

Yeah - lots of VHS recordings out there - but it's on the IC DVD - and MTV are crazy at policing YouTube for stuff like that so chances are anyone uploading it will have it taken down instantly.

Really, Mattress? :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Maybe you or other fan could upload it to share with us!

Is it identical to the IC version? I never saw it. It was not broadcasted here.

I saw the EY performance 2 years later !