Art vs. Commercial success

Guest bluejean

What ratio of hits should she do?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What ratio of hits should she do?

• 80% hits, 20% Rebel Heart. She needs to pull a Re-invention so the tour will sell!
    • 50% hits, 50% Rebel Heart. A good balance like Sticky.
    • 20-40% hits only. She should not compromise her artist integrity

Guest bluejean

I watched Secretprojectrevolution yesterday and I gotta say that while I know pretty much everyone here is screaming from the rooftops that she "needs to do the hits" I am not completely convinced she should go TOO far. I mean for sure, more than MDNA but I want her to create a show that blows my mind. Too many hits would turn into a party and I don't think that would be Madonna's artistic vision. She is going to want to follow on from where Secretprojectrevolution left off I think!

But the question is can she do both? Or will it become another Re-invention?

Should she dust off the kilt and rehire that dude to play Into The Groove on the bagpipes? :chuckle:

I love "Rebel Heart" and would like to hear every song on it live - however, it would kill the atmosphere unless every arena was packed with hard core fans. I think MDNA had a good balance, more so than S&S, because at least the hits were recognizable on the MDNA tour - S&S had a lot of butchered classics - these don't count. I think the show can still be artistic with the hits, as long as it's done as part of the story - again, I think MDNA was perfection.

I voted 50/50 only because it is practical for everyone.

I'm one of those who say that if you want to hear Like a Prayer, go get a time machine and teleport back to 1989. But, I do love hearing the old songs so I'm happy with 50/50. A greatest hits concert would just depress me - I don't see a point in dwelling on the past.

I actually don't believe that commercial success is dependent on marketing a greatest hits show. I mean to say that Madonna IS the show and if done correctly an audience can appreciate a 100% RH setlist. Madonna the artist can turn art into commercial success.

The question at hand, of this thread, is whether marketing a HITS show will draw in a larger audience. That was MDNA. The general public didn't hear the MDNA album, but went in droves expecting hits, anyway. This time.....same thing with the album, but.......

I don't know what I'm talking about, but all I'm trying to say is that Madonna does not need to sell a greatest hits tour in order to draw in an audience. Things aren't that bad, yet. And, even if she did sell a greatest hits tour - the general public (non-hardcore fans) may say, "well, we already saw her once in our lives in 2012 - we don't need to see her again." I think that's too risky.

There are shows where she did it perfectly, like blond ambition and girlie, with all the hits n shit yet still making room for newer material and making it a cohesive theatrical spectacular.

But I've always been into the idea of doing newer material. And I'm All for that.

I think she could pull of a 50/50 off very well at this stage in her career. Especially with how creative she's been in the past 3 years. I trust in the madonna.

Guest bluejean

Cruncher, an audience will NEVER appreciate a setlist made of 100% Rebel Heart. Even most of us here would not want that.

And Unapologetic Rebel, I do not think MDNA was a good balance. Yes it was a brilliant show but casual fans didn't enjoy it as much as Sticky or Re-invention. The sad truth because imo it was a far better show than those.

Anyway I am still here and will always be here for Madonna THE ARTIST! That needs to come first. But she can do 10 Rebel Heart songs and 10 mega hits.

I voted 50-50. Could even be 60-40.

I think she can rework her hits and her new music into whatever narrative she wants to play out... she's a genius at that.

But I wouldn't mind a RIT structure either...except with a few more RH songs thrown in.

(And of course, the ride or die fan in me wouldn't mind a 80/90% RH show either.)

But to be as realistic as possible business/commercial wise this time in regards to her touring rep... I think 50-50 hits to new is pretty solid.

30% RH 70% hits

She needs to build up her reputation as a live performer again. The casuals and general public are not on board this era. Playing lots of hits will please the audience and give her commercial success. Let's be real, if she goes to Australia they will want to hear her classic songs. They have waited long enough!

This will not please most people here but in my view there are some songs she should do every tour - Like a Prayer, Vogue, Holiday, Express Yourself, Like a Virgin, Into the Groove, Music and Hung up. Songs that everyone knows and casual fans adore. I went to the Girlie show and whenever a major hit was played, the audience went wild. Concerts need audience participation. To me, I could easily listen to lesser known songs but that is not what concerts are about - like it or not casual fans help fill the concerts. So would love lots and lots of huge hits with the rest being Rebel Heart songs.

30% RH 70% hits

She needs to build up her reputation as a live performer again. The casuals and general pubkic are not on board this era. Playing a lots of hits will please the audience and give her commercial success. Let's be real, if she goes to Australia they will want to hear her classic songs. They have waited long enough!

Agreed!

This will not please most people here but in my view there are some songs she should do every tour - Like a Prayer, Vogue, Holiday, Express Yourself, Like a Virgin, Into the Groove, Music and Hung up. Songs that everyone knows and casual fans adore. I went to the Girlie show and whenever a major hit was played, the audience went wild. Concerts need audience participation. To me, I could easily listen to lesser known songs but that is not what concerts are about - like it or not casual fans help fill the concerts. So would love lots and lots of huge hits with the rest being Rebel Heart songs.

I'm of the same view.

People I talk to, one of their issues besides the price is they say I don't know her recent stuff and think the 80s and 90s classics won't be done. It's the same way I feel about going to a Prince concert.

I think part of the problem is Madonna probably only remembers half her hits :) . I say 2/3 hits and 1/3 RH ( must include Iconinc and Heart Break City :) . It would be nice if she sang Who's That Girl instead of La Isla, Bedtime Story instead of Human Nature, Dress you Up instead of Like AVirgin etc.

I think part of the problem is Madonna probably only remembers half her hits :). I say 2/3 hits and 1/3 RH ( must include Iconinc and Heart Break City :) . It would be nice if she sang Who's That Girl instead of La Isla, Bedtime Story instead of Human Nature, Dress you Up instead of Like AVirgin etc.

Then she should...

2zoyyjs.jpg

60/40, either 60% RH and 40% old or 60%old and 40% Rebel Heart. I saw old rather than hits because I would really like to see her throw in a few old songs such as Bad Girl or Hollywood that fans love but maybe not considered big hits.

Madonna has the ability to create a far superior show regardless of the songs she's using. Just look at MDNA and the first section... Do people remember Papa, Don't Preach or Hung Up? I don't think so...

Yes, knowing she will perform known or mega hits might make people want to go to her gig but ultimately I don't think people go see her live for the big hits. It's more about the experience and the fact she puts the best shows out there.

I don't view the Reinvention tour as her best to be honest. MDNA was much better but I think it's because of all the technology she can now use to put out the best show.

People are way too concerned with the commercial success of an album but truth is she didn't get a major hit album since Confessions On A Dancefloor and that didn't hurt her live show presentation. Also, let's not forget that people don't need to watch her videos on YouTube or download singles everyday off ITunes or buy the albums... Piracy is probably the main reason why her albums seem to sell less and less. That's why she joined Tidal after all. She's aware that the majority of people download her music illegally because... Well, it's Madonna and she doesn't need the money... My mate didn't get MDNA but he downloaded a few tracks from Rebel Heart for free.. It doesn't show on the charts but he will know songs from Rebel Heart exactly as he knows hits like Vogue or Music. I think even radio programmers have that mentality of stopping promoting Madonna in order to promote other artists as she really doesn't need the money anyway and she's already achieved legend status. People have to look at both sides of the situation and not think her albums don't sell that much so she's over and blah, blah.. Madonna is far from over it's just that people are getting more and more obsessed with her commercial success.

^well her tours are now the test of her commercial success, not albums. You're right, but a hit album helps the tour!

Reinvention did well because a lot of people missed out on DWT, plus it was the second tour after a long break so an under performing album didn't really matter. CT had a hit album behind it as we all know. And similarly S&S got the people that missed out on CT, plus bouyed by rave reviews of the CT and also the world wide smash 4 Minutes. MDNA had the best promo of all with the Super Bowl. In time we will see how Rebel Heart does without any of those factors which drove demand in previous tours (novelty of Madonna touring again, hit albums/singles, huge promotion), and how new factors such as over saturation in some markets, bad experiences from past tours such as waiting times, high ticket prices, etc effect commercial success.

I hope there will be at least 50% Rebel Heart, or more!

Bitch, she's Madonna!

I love Rebel Heart, but I have a feeling this tour might have a few more older songs and hits than the last two. In this era, there has been a lot of talk about looking back in interviews and even on the album itself. Also a lot of the songs on RH tend to be slower and midtempo so I'm not sure if a RH heavy setlist will lend itself to large venues. She will need to add in more uptempo songs or I suppose she could do remixes of some RH songs.

S&S I went with a group of friends. After the concert, they bought the album and stuff. Then, in 2012,, with MDNA, we all got together again. Seriously, being the only die hard fan in the group was tough. they HATED IT. Loved the stage and everything, but they were bored. By the time she sang vogue they were: FINALLY!

so... 50-50....