Art vs. Commercial success

Guest bluejean

What ratio of hits should she do?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What ratio of hits should she do?

• 80% hits, 20% Rebel Heart. She needs to pull a Re-invention so the tour will sell!
    • 50% hits, 50% Rebel Heart. A good balance like Sticky.
    • 20-40% hits only. She should not compromise her artist integrity

I don't think RH having a lot of mid-temps or ballads will be an issue. We've seen her reorchestrate those kinds of songs into arrangements that work like magic in big venues...such as the arrangements on The Girlie Show. I can see some of the RH songs get a slightly funkier, more up-tempo arrangement for the stage much like Erotica and JML did for TGS, or like the Erotic CS on MDNA, etc...

There's a lot they can do in musical direction.

Additionally, say there's a so-called "hits" tour which caters to the casual fans. I strongly suspect that the timeline of these hits ends in 1991. These casual fans to whom hardcore fans have to subjugate our fandom only know the '80's songs. Don't kid yourselves, Joe Public probably can't even put Madonna's face to Hung Up. I'd love to go ask random people on the street to name some Madonna songs; I suspect most will name hits from the '80's - as if the '90's and '00's never happened. Are these assholes more important than actual fans? Sure, they have more money. The Rolling Stones have the same problem.

Which is why I voted 50-50. It's practical for fans and casual assholes; apparently not practical enough for the casuals as they want more and more. As I mentioned above, I know she can create a commercial market for artistry, but it just irks me that fans are factoring less and less into the equation. At what point does Madonna's responsibility to her own business factor into the equation. Instead of catering to the current market (made up of casual fans desiring only hits) can she not make her own market and tell people what they should want - this is what she's done her entire career.

Anyway, I don't want to give you guys the impression that I'm disrespecting those of you here for wanting the hits - of course not. I want the tour peppered with hit, too. But, I personally just fear the slippery slope of playing only hits - and for all intents and purposes, only hits from the '80's.

I am the one of the ones who would love a greatest hits heavy tour, but since Rebel Heart is a great album and it seems like a lot of the hardcore fans want a good majority of the songs done in the tour I think as balanced between Rebel Heart and Hits is the best way to go

Guest bluejean

These casual fans to whom hardcore fans have to subjugate our fandom only know the '80's songs. Don't kid yourselves, Joe Public probably can't even put Madonna's face to Hung Up. I'd love to go ask random people on the street to name some Madonna songs; I suspect most will name hits from the '80's - as if the '90's and '00's never happened.

I don't think that's true at all. She had some big hits in the 90's as well. And there's Music, Hung Up and 4 Minutes, all huge. The people that can only name afew 80's hits are probably straight homophobic redneck/bogans not ever going to go to one of her concerts.

Additionally, say there's a so-called "hits" tour which caters to the casual fans. I strongly suspect that the timeline of these hits ends in 1991. These casual fans to whom hardcore fans have to subjugate our fandom only know the '80's songs. Don't kid yourselves, Joe Public probably can't even put Madonna's face to Hung Up. I'd love to go ask random people on the street to name some Madonna songs; I suspect most will name hits from the '80's - as if the '90's and '00's never happened. Are these assholes more important than actual fans? Sure, they have more money. The Rolling Stones have the same problem.

Which is why I voted 50-50. It's practical for fans and casual assholes; apparently not practical enough for the casuals as they want more and more. As I mentioned above, I know she can create a commercial market for artistry, but it just irks me that fans are factoring less and less into the equation. At what point does Madonna's responsibility to her own business factor into the equation. Instead of catering to the current market (made up of casual fans desiring only hits) can she not make her own market and tell people what they should want - this is what she's done her entire career.

Anyway, I don't want to give you guys the impression that I'm disrespecting those of you here for wanting the hits - of course not. I want the tour peppered with hit, too. But, I personally just fear the slippery slope of playing only hits - and for all intents and purposes, only hits from the '80's.

It may be true in the US that Joe Public can't put her face to Hung Up, but in the UK and Europe it was a huge hit. Remember she isn't just touring in the US. The same with songs like Music and Ray of Light.

Songs like Don't Tell Me and Secret, which are not from the 80's were played a lot on US radio. And in fact they are still played on AC oldie leaning radio stations all the time.

Actually, now there's an obsession with the 90's. It sounds weird but 90's music is the new oldies! The 80's are becoming kind of passe now. They were too long ago. I would like to see her do some of the best of the 90's, maybe even Take A Bow.

I wanted to pick the first one, but was RIT 80% hits? I thought she did a shit load of AL songs in there, I thought it was more like 70 - 30 even, or 65 - 45.

I don't even mind 50 - 50... here are some ideas though - some of the new songs like in the MDNA tour went on too long... don't do a new song that is nearing five to six minutes unless there is something so spectacular going on it needs it. The crowd just gets bored (on the flip side, don't do too short either, like when she finally got to 'Papa Don't Preach', she did it for like a minute and half). Just like Goldilocks wanted, just right, haha.

I don't think she'll do as dark of a show again this time - concept, lighting, attitude... it can be a cool idea, but not everyone is into it, especially causual people who get a lot of joy out of Madonna's music. Heck, even some moments, but not a majority.

Overall, I'd say as long as she doesn't make people wait too long beforehand so they are pissed to begin with, engages the crowd a bit more, has good sound and a good pacing of songs, she can sell the new stuff, and people will be happy with it.

What about making the show into two Acts, A Rebel Act and a Heart Act? The older songs can be grouped as either Rebel songs or Heart song as much as songs from the new album. It might be an interesting way to do the setlist rather than the usual 4 acts, since it is called the Rebel Heart tour.

As most of the songs from RH are quite short, I don't see her doing songs that are 5 or 6 minutes. I don't remember any MDNA songs going on for that long, They seemed similiar to the recorded versions. But I agree it's probably not a good idea to shorten older hit songs.

I don't think that's true at all. She had some big hits in the 90's as well. And there's Music, Hung Up and 4 Minutes, all huge. The people that can only name afew 80's hits are probably straight homophobic redneck/bogans not ever going to go to one of her concerts.

Those people are in fact going to her concerts - I've met too many of them. Which is the point I'm trying to make. They want "80's night hosted by Madonna," so that they can post a pic of themselves wearing neon to Facebook. Just like me going to a Stones concert. I'm not a fan but I want to hear that Satisfaction song.

It may be true in the US that Joe Public can't put her face to Hung Up, but in the UK and Europe it was a huge hit. Remember she isn't just touring in the US. The same with songs like Music and Ray of Light.

Songs like Don't Tell Me and Secret, which are not from the 80's were played a lot on US radio. And in fact they are still played on AC oldie leaning radio stations all the time.

Actually, now there's an obsession with the 90's. It sounds weird but 90's music is the new oldies! The 80's are becoming kind of passe now. They were too long ago. I would like to see her do some of the best of the 90's, maybe even Take A Bow.

You're right in that I'm not taking into account the differences in geographic markets. I could be wrong, but, I still don't believe that any casual fan cares to hear anything of hers from the '90's regardless if it is still played on radio. Also, I don't think it has anything to do with current fashionable trends (80's vs '90's) because she is simply associated with her '80's catalogue. And while we're at it: I want to hear Nothing Really Matters.

I know a lot of casual fans who like songs like Secret and You'll See. In the 90's she did a lot of ballads more than in the 80's. There are a lot of older more casual fans who love that whole AC ballad 90's Madonna. It's not my favorite period, but a lot of people love it.

In fact, on some of the ballads on Rebel Heart there is a throwback to that softer 90's period.

What about making the show into two Acts, A Rebel Act and a Heart Act? The older songs can be grouped as either Rebel songs or Heart song as much as songs from the new album. It might be an interesting way to do the setlist rather than the usual 4 acts, since it is called the Rebel Heart tour.

As most of the songs from RH are quite short, I don't see her doing songs that are 5 or 6 minutes. I don't remember any MDNA songs going on for that long, They seemed similiar to the recorded versions. But I agree it's probably not a good idea to shorten older hit songs.

Well Gang Bang was 5:54, I don't give A 5:27, I'm a Sinner 6:45, I'm Addicted 4:42 and then too many interludes which weren't exactly short in and of themselves... but then again, those were some of the cool parts of the show, though I did think some went on too long while watching. Oh and Like a Virgin Waltz at 5:15 which I know is an oldie but I literally heard people groaning and then getting up to leave, lol

Anyway. not trying to bitch, just point out something that I noticed when watching and afterward with the DVD... pacing and theme can make all of the difference regardless of song.

Oh and as for the comments on 80's songs from various people.... people might think they only know her 80's stuff but when any given number of her hits start up, you'd be surprised to hear the number of "oh yeah, I know that one!"

I know a lot of casual fans who like songs like Secret and You'll See. In the 90's she did a lot of ballads more than in the 80's. There are a lot of older more casual fans who love that whole AC ballad 90's Madonna. It's not my favorite period, but a lot of people love it.

In fact, on some of the ballads on Rebel Heart there is a throwback to that softer 90's period.

So true about Rebel Heart songs reminding me of some of her 90's ballads... 'You'll See' would be great to hear again! I think she did throw that one in for a night in one of her tours...

......There are a lot of older more casual fans who love that whole AC ballad 90's Madonna....

Yes, true. But, are those casual fans prepared to purchase a concert ticket to see those songs?

Oh and as for the comments on 80's songs from various people.... people might think they only know her 80's stuff but when any given number of her hits start up, you'd be surprised to hear the number of "oh yeah, I know that one!"

Yeah, true, too. But, were those particular "hey, know this one" songs the reason why they purchased a ticket to begin with?

Guest eroticerotic

i think 60 40

15 Rebel Hearts

10 Classics

I think part of her artistic vision is to never look back (too much)

I'm fine with 5-6 hits and the rest being Rebel Heart tracks. I love the album too much to care about what others will think. Besides, she always does this thing where she either reinvents the classics to the point that everyone complains (Hung Up on S+S and MDNA, Open Your Heart etc), or purposely tones them down to not overshadow new songs (Ray of Light and Lucky Star on Confessions)

I find the headline misleading. There are no less art in madonnas perfomances of old songs than new, sometimes even more. Like a virgin MDNA for example, or Into The Groove with Haring pieces in the background S&S.

Madonna has always been wanting both huge commercial success and conveying art. I would be extremely surprised if the tour is not mostly RH really.