Girlie Show Orgy

tasteinmen

I'm watching my new Girlie Show DVD for the first time and upon watching I was blown away how Madonna managed to turn a light hearted 70s disco dance into an orgy!!!

I get that the Erotica era had a lot of sexual related things going on but had no idea she included it in her shows, I thought the most daring she'd go was the Erotica performance.

Did this cause any controversy back in the day? Thoughts?

P.S. Loving the Girlie Show!!!

P.S.S. I also thought the stage intruder was legit and Madonna was seriously calling for security!

Guest whatatramp

omg I'm literally listening to the girlie show audio rn

she wasn't really turning 'light hearted 70s disco dance' into an orgy, it was just the transition from Deeper and Deeper into Why's it so Hard?

Did this cause any controversy back in the day? Thoughts?

almost anything Madonna does causes controversy and the girlie show was at the height of the 'Madonna backlash' from Erotica, SEX and Body of Evidence, you should know this tasteinmen!

26sep93_people.jpg

So weird, I'm watching it tonight. That orgy was the hottest thing my little gay eyes ever saw back in 1993. Can't tell you how many times I ... nevermind. :lol:

It tells a story about HIV/AIDS

The parties (EY, D&D)...into the sex (WITSH)....into the death (In This Life)

BEAUTIFULLY thought out...and executed. One of my favorite tour sections ever.

Guest Rocco Papa

The Girlie Show is still my favorite Madonna tour. :headbang: I don't know if there was any controversy over the orgy, but I know she got shit for rubbing the Puerto Rican flag between her legs on stage. And the topless dancer (I think it was Carrie Ann Inaba) had to wear a halter top at certain shows.

I remember when I first saw the Fever performance and drooling over Michael Gregory. I still think he's hot as fuck. :drool:

tumblr_m4lzejY9qV1qkzr9fo2_500.gif

That's a really good interpretation! I never thought about it that deeply before. I must be a bit slow on the uptake. :lol:

So weird, I'm watching it tonight. That orgy was the hottest thing my little gay eyes ever saw back in 1993. Can't tell you how many times I ... nevermind. :lol:

Oh that Beast Within interlude with the 2 bootcamp guys was hot!!

I'm sorry whatatramp! I should have known, my only defence is that I've never seen it before, and I was 6/7 back in 93! But I should have known after everything else that was going on around that time.

Now that I know the story it tells, it is beautifully crafted.

I've always thought of it that way. Utterly brilliant.

Along with the incredible "The Beast Within" interlude that follows....

Ugh, The Girlie Show is a straight up piece of ART. :drama: :drama: :drama:

So true, brilliantly done and very touching. Except, I would add that EY is probably coming out, so it tracks this excitement through despair. I read this really good piece the other day about cultural acceptance of the gay subculture pre-AIDS, and how the crisis basically set the cause back by about 30 years.

I love that she doesn't sing the lines

have you ever seen a grown man cry/

have you every watched your best friend die?

It was sooooo hot. And I love the breakdown of the music at the end of "Deeper & Deeper".

I remember my family and I being shocked as this tour aired on our video station back in the day (and I being secretly delighted in many parts, especially during 'The Beast Within', haha)

I will always worship The Girlie Show for that performance of 'Rain' alone. I think it's one of her best ever. I love the part where she starts singing The Temptations: "Just my imagination once again, running away with me, it was just my imagination . . .". That part makes me melt every time, I remember being surprised that she could pull off that soulful sound so well.

And then when she sang 'Everybody' it made me so hyped; I never cared much for that song before but her live performance gave me a new appreciation for it. So many amazing moments on the Girlie Show it's hard to take it all in

I will always worship The Girlie Show for that performance of 'Rain' alone. I think it's one of her best ever. I love the part where she starts singing The Temptations: "Just my imagination once again, running away with me, it was just my imagination . . .". That part makes me melt every time, I remember being surprised that she could pull off that soulful sound so well.

And then when she sang 'Everybody' it made me so hyped; I never cared much for that song before but her live performance gave me a new appreciation for it. So many amazing moments on the Girlie Show it's hard to take it all in

Everybody from Girlie Show is everything!! I love that beginning part where she sings "everybody is a star". I love that it's all real music using real instruments and real singing!!

That's a great way to put it! I never had thought of it that way! If you think about it the same can be said for the "Church" act of BAT and "Transgression" for MDNA

BAT - "Church" act

Like a Virgin (The sex act)

Like a Prayer (She confesses to the church)

Live to Tell (The church condemns her)

Oh Father (She begs for forgiveness)

Papa Don't Preach (Taking responsibility/"Keeping my baby")

MDNA - "Transgression" Act

A "Girl gone wild" grabs a "Revolver", then "bang bang shoots her lover in the head", then comes the confession (Papa, I just killed a man). She then gets "hung up", but it doesn't matter, cause she "doesn't give a..."

YThe girlie show is my favorite tour! First time I watched it I was 13, the beast within interlude and the orgy were sooooo hot -and still are- the whole show is a masterpiece but the 70s segment takes the crown!

TGS is my favourite tour. Maybe Im biased because its the only tour ive been to, but for me it just so unlike any kind of concert, but true theatre. Every song and every note is there for a reason. As much as we all love screens now, it was kinda nice back then that no screens meant all attention on the performers.

I remember at the time there was a bit in the press about "Oohh, theres a topless dancer and a pole ..." but the whole orgy was just a nice surprise, as was the BW interlude, and the cross dressing ... (thank god there was no internet back then to spoil things!).

My first M concert. Actually, during the orgy i sucked a couple of men! Everybody was on heat in Rio.

Only at a Madonna show... :lmao:

Why's It So Hard is one of my favorite M songs and that performance just makes me love it so much more. And yeah, that entire section is amazing.

Wish I'd been around to experience the Girlie Show.

My first M concert. Actually, during the orgy i sucked a couple of men! Everybody was on heat in Rio.

LMAO......did a lot of the gay boys in the audience just drop to their knees and start sucking the closest cock??