Downton's Lady Cora takes a swipe at ‘undignified’ Madonna look

XXL

Downton's Lady Cora takes a swipe at ‘undignified’ Madonna look

Elizabeth McGovern says the key to happiness is being "sexy" at the age you are and dressing younger like Madonna in her cone brassiere is not "dignified".

lady_cora_3137108b.jpg

Downton Abbey's Lady Cora labels Madonna's iconic cone brassiere as "undignified" saying you can be sexy at the age without trying to look younger. Actress Elizabeth McGovern, who plays Lady Cora in hit television series Downton Abbey, says the key to happiness is being "sexy" at the age you are instead of desperately trying to turn back the clock.

The 53-year-old star described Madonna's conical brass outfit, worn by the pop diva during her 1990 Blond Ambition tour when she was aged 42, as not "dignified". (Uhm, OK)

"It smacks of trying to be younger in an attempt to be sexy," she told the Daily Mail Weekend magazine. "That to me is the road to nowhere." A diva herself, in her spare time the star is the lead singer of folk rock band Sadie and the Hotheads. She added: "There's something so fantastic about being in your 50s and being sexy at that age rather than trying to come across as a sexy 20-year-old.

"Women of my age know what we' re doing; we've had a lot of practice! And the fun hasn't stopped for us. "I'm 53 but I want to be as gloriously full of sexiness as is approriate for my age. And it is possible."

She describes Helen Mirren as "sexy as hell" in her 60s. "Look at Annie Lennox, a woman in her late 50s who brings all her life experiences to her work without trying to recapture her youth," she adds. Fans who haven't seen her band will get a chance to hear her on the 45-track Downton Christmas album.

She will be joined in Downton Abbey's Christmas special by a guest appearance from hearthrob George Clooney who at the age of 53 is proof that you don't need to try and look younger to be sexy. (seriously? :lmao: A man who's benefitted from Hollywood more than most others, yet pays C-lister girls to beard for him? Talk about "NOT trying")

However, it's rumoured he is seen planting a kiss on the elderly Dowager Countess, played by Dame Maggie Smith, during his appearance, which prompts her to swoon. Two new viewers will be the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

The Duke said he is looking forward to the Downton Abbey Christmas special – after the Duchess of Cambridge made him start watching it. The Duke said he and the Duchess, who will spend their first Christmas in their new home, Anmer Hall on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, would be settling down to watch the most eagerly anticipated show of the festive period.

Why do people have to keep carrying on about what other women look like and dress like ? If Elizabeth wants to look and dress a certain way, go for it but don't judge others who dress differently. She seems to be such a boring person so Madonna should not care less what she thinks anyway.

Personally I find bad actresses that can't sing for shit really undignified and embarrassing, but I don't go on about it. Added to that, Liz is about as sexy as a potato..

Yes, she really is such a nothing as an actress and personality.

she was engaged to Penn? Wow and obviously still holds a grudge. I don't understand her point really: she looks mumsy and its understandable she should dress mumsy while Madge looks fierce so she should dress fierce :)

"but I want to be as gloriously full of sexiness as is appropriate for my age."

That's some patriarchal/sexist programing. And who the fuck is she to define what "appropriate for ones age" even is.....?

And why pick out the conical bra from BAT...an actual iconic piece of fashion? Is her head stuck in 1990? Where she been for the last couple of decades?

And fuck the other bullshit. Clooney...? Bitch please. The man has had work done for crying out loud (let alone the ridiculous parade of young beards, and now "wife", to sell his outdated image.)

They're all such hypocrites.

That's some patriarchal/sexist programing. And who the fuck is she to define what "appropriate for ones age" even is.....?

And why pick out the conical bra from BAT...an actual iconic piece of fashion? Is her head stuck in 1990? Where she been for the last couple of decades?

And fuck the other bullshit. Clooney...? Bitch please. The man has had work done for crying out loud (let alone the ridiculous parade of young beards, and now "wife", to sell his outdated image.)

Well said!

I'm sorry M dresses very sexy at times, but other celebrities & people in the media portray her like she dresses completely inappropriate for her age which is bulls**t!

I can see people might say some of M outfits have been questionable as she has become older, but the media has completely exaggerated this issue & they have been pressuring only certain celebrities to conform.

Thank You.

clap-iti clap

I really don't understand why people keeps on judging M on the account of an editorial spread. It's basically more of the artistic vision of the photogs and stylists. It's not like M walks around with her breast hanging out lol

Dear Lady Cora,

Thank you for your illuminating take on Madonna.

I'm sure the world waited with baited breath for your opinion. Now we have it, we would like to offer you a little advice of our own: 'Please go fuck yourself with a rusty spoon.'

Kisses

Me

PS. What a lovely cardigan!

Happy cringeworthingly embarrassing Christmas y'all!!!

Just have to comment on this again. Seriously would have to be the worst version of The First Noel that I have ever heard. She is out of tune, has no power or conviction and sounds like an embarrassing, dithering and drunk Auntie at Carols at Candlelight. It is so bad that it is almost comical. The guy singing with her must be wondering what the hell is going on.