Madonna's catalog should be treated better...

madonna_fan1988

Do you think they would only press a limited amount of these special/deluxe/remaster editions?

I think what we have will be of value by Madonna's refusal to release new comprehensive remasters and special editions. There are items like tours that are on obsolete media that will go up on her official website eventually for streaming remastered.

If Danni Minnogue and Cathy Dennis can get deluxe re-master releases, then i don't see why the hell madonna can't.

The best I've seen in recent years were the Pet Shop Boys re-releases. They came with an extra disc of B-Sides, unreleased tracks, remixes & edits, all packaged rather simply, but nicely, and with a booklet of detailed notes. the notes included details on the recording and songwriting process. IN fairness those kind of notes Madonna would never choose to give, nor would she probably be able to remember them, but it would be nice to get a little bit of taste of this kind of booklet, including some rare and unseen photos from that era. An additional disc of remastered music videos (done properly), and performances from that era would also be incredible but highly unlikely.

I seem to remember the PSB also released a coffee table book that reviewed their entire career discography by looking at the artwork of their singles and albums with the boys commentary on each.

Ultimately Madonna is not interested in this kind of retrospective - but her labels and management should be. She is now in the nostalgia acts category, and they need to keep this going by feeding the legacy. She is at risk right now of that slipping in the consciousness of a younger audience, who are increasingly unfamiliar with her songs, videos and career.

I think what we have will be of value by Madonna's refusal to release new comprehensive remasters and special editions. There are items like tours that are on obsolete media that will go up on her official website eventually for streaming remastered.

I highly doubt something like that would ever happen on madonna's official site. And I don't think she refuses either. She has addressed her anniversaries on her site/Facebook and on tour, I just think that they are focusing on other projects at the time, and the communication between her and Warner might be a bit messy. I do remember Guy O saying he went into to Warner's offices to discuss the tour releases.

I think another problem is the storage and archiving of her recordings, tapes, and masters. That needs to be fixed before anything. She needs to hire someone to collect and organize all this stuff before anything. Heck they need a dedicated fab that will do it for free if it's about money!

Definitely one area in which Guy Oseary sucks. At least Caresse (RIP) had some understanding of Madonna's legacy and attempted to do something with it. Like others have said, it's ridiculous to suggest that it's not financially viable to exploit, for want of a better word, Madonna's back catalogue, she who is still one of the most collectable artists in the world, compared to the loving care given to releases by limited appeal artists like Belinda Carlisle, Kim Wilde etc

And whoop, as mentioned in another thread fairly recently, just about ALL Madonna's stuff was digitally archived in the early 00s as per that Keyboard interview with Mike McKnight.

Madonna’s manager asked me to archive everything she’d ever recorded into Digital Performer. I had a few weeks off, and I had about a hundred songs to do. It was insane. What did that entail - transferring individual parts from the original multitracks? Exactly, plus I combined different versions from different tours. Some of the William Orbit stuff was on two 48-track digital machines, and I had to go through all the tracks and figure out what was used on the final version. The Music record was a lot easier - straight-ahead files, two- and eight-track stems. The older stuff was on analog tape that had to be baked. It was an enormous project.

It took about three or four weeks to archive and record everything. I went into a studio equipped with 24-track analog and 48-track digital. Wherever possible I went digital directly to ADAT. For the analog recordings I pulled up all the tracks directly to a patchbay going into the analog inputs on my ADATs. Then I took the ADAT tapes home and recorded the parts from ADAT to the computer via my MOTU 2408 Mark II. I had all 24, 48, and sometimes 96 tracks available to me,

Definitely one area in which Guy Oseary sucks. At least Caresse (RIP) had some understanding of Madonna's legacy and attempted to do something with it. Like others have said, it's ridiculous to suggest that it's not financially viable to exploit, for want of a better word, Madonna's back catalogue, she who is still one of the most collectable artists in the world, compared to the loving care given to releases by limited appeal artists like Belinda Carlisle, Kim Wilde etc

And whoop, as mentioned in another thread fairly recently, just about ALL Madonna's stuff was digitally archived in the early 00s as per that Keyboard interview with Mike McKnight.

Madonnas manager asked me to archive everything shed ever recorded into Digital Performer. I had a few weeks off, and I had about a hundred songs to do. It was insane. What did that entail - transferring individual parts from the original multitracks? Exactly, plus I combined different versions from different tours. Some of the William Orbit stuff was on two 48-track digital machines, and I had to go through all the tracks and figure out what was used on the final version. The Music record was a lot easier - straight-ahead files, two- and eight-track stems. The older stuff was on analog tape that had to be baked. It was an enormous project.

It took about three or four weeks to archive and record everything. I went into a studio equipped with 24-track analog and 48-track digital. Wherever possible I went digital directly to ADAT. For the analog recordings I pulled up all the tracks directly to a patchbay going into the analog inputs on my ADATs. Then I took the ADAT tapes home and recorded the parts from ADAT to the computer via my MOTU 2408 Mark II. I had all 24, 48, and sometimes 96 tracks available to me,

I was talking more about unreleased stuff, photos, videos and physical items like outfits and written lyrics.

But them archiving all the songs was important task, as Stuart needed it when remastering all the albums for the 20th anniversary box set Carrese had planned but was eventually scrapped.

I was talking more about unreleased stuff, photos, videos and physical items like outfits and written lyrics.

Yeah all that ish is no doubt scattered everywhere.

I'm concerned with the fact that video masters for promo clips, tours etc are seemingly rotting away somewhere, and I'll bet no-one actually knows where. As has been said, the so called official versions on the Celebration DVD etc look like pathetic 3rd generation copies.

Guest Pud Whacker

I love that Madonna isn't a Prince and fans upload the shit. The moment an artist gets all vevo-ized and care about those watched numbers that MEAN NOTHING they become an asshole.

I think the whole youtube vevo thing has already been discussed in another thread. The problem actually applies to all Warner artists. Warner and Youtube / Google can't agree on the royalty fee for streaming the videos. Obviously Warners wants more money. Which isn't necessarily Warners interest but the interest of their artists as long as they are the holders of the performing rights and/or publishing rights. Madonna owns or co-owns the rights to almost all of her songs through Webo Girl Publishing. The Vevo situation is even more difficult in some countries on this planet where all official music videos are blocked on youtube because the performing rights societies of those countries are in negotiations with Google about higher royalties. About re-masters. It's actually a tricky one because it very much depends on the definition of an original recording. Is a re-master still the original recording or is a re-master already an alteration? It's a copyright issue. Warners is the copyright owner of almost all her recordings before MDNA. They can release those the way they want to as long as those are the original recordings. They cannot release anything that has been altered, since this will require the permission of the publishing rights holder which are Madonna and her co-writers. She is certainly not giving them permission. And Warners will not release anything from the original recordings because it doesn't make sense since those recording are already available. As you can see, Madonna has her hands in every pie. If she doesn't see the need to treat her back catalogue the way many fans believe it should be treated it's her very own decision.

Regarding the release of the BAT: there are many mysteries. Does Pioneer still hold the rights and therefore can block any other release. What about the Paris show? Is the footage really destroyed? No one knows.

Regarding the celebration release: yes, it was a shitty release. But people need to understand that you can do only so much if the masters are of bad quality. And this applies to almost all her early music clips. The problem is that those were actually filmed on video tape. And that hasn't aged very well. The "problem" with 4:3. Music videos were filmed in 4:3 back in the day, because they were meant to be shown on a television. And the TV's had a 4:3 screen. You cannot transfer a 4:3 video to 16:9 if the original source of material was shot in 4:3 without loosing parts of the picture. To be quite frankly, I was more pissed about the fact that they censored the titties on Justify my Love.

So again, if you want to blame someone blame Madonna first. She is the one in full control of almost all her catalogue. She isn't called the most powerful woman in music for nothing.

Guest bluejean

Well if they released any of this stuff let's face it, all us hardcore fans already have it all anyway.

The Virgin Tour - Digital transfer GOT IT

Blond Ambition - Got FOUR versions of it including 2 digital transfers from the Laserdiscs

Re-invention Tour - LEAKED in pro shot quality

All the music videos and "behind the scenes" footage we'd ever want in better quality than on Celebration is available on bootleg. We have so much behind the scenes shit on YouTube I've never even seen.

If I'd want anything it's a boxed set with all her singles. I mean not having Gambler and alot of those 80's remixes in CD remastered quality is ridiculous. There's alot of remixes that were only released on vinyl. I want those!

Virgin Tour was filmed on 35mm - we don't havea Bluray

BAT Paris was filmed on 35mm - we don't have a bluray

RIT was filmed on HD video - we don't have a bluray. Plus what leaked was a raw-rough cut with AWFUL audio.

And I want behind the scenes shit on DVD. Not shitty YouTube quality that's been on YouTube since 2006

Warner used single layer DVDs for Celebration which is why it looks bad.

Exactly! Even though I don't think that the videos look that bad, the "Celebration" video collection should have been two dual-layer DVDs in order to allow for less compression.

Well the 7" mix was never released on CD in the first place so I'm doubting anyone even remembers it at this point. TIC versions of both songs seem to have outlived the originals.

It would be nice if Warner/Madonna/whoever would agree to re-release all the singles digitally as well as in a CD box set and perhaps have a fan take care of it (ie Mattress.) Now we know with Mattress in charge the result would be exactly as it should be.

Yes, please!!! Did you know that there's a special Elvis lable that's "a collectors record label that exists exclusively for the dedicated Elvis music collector and currently offers over 100 different Elvis CDs, books and LPs with additional titles released throughout the year." Imagine a lable like that for Madonna. :dramatic:

I can kinda understand why they may not want to do something like this for her albums, as the sales may not be so strong for a release that would cost so much to make. They would prob wanna wait later in her career.

What is sad is the release of her DVDs. Now that's a monstrosity of an error:

-Virgin Tour never being released on DVD

-Blond Ambition never getting a proper format release and still not being available on DVD

-The lack of special features. Cameras are on her 24/7. There were so many making ofs for MDNA yet they only included one.

-Re-Invention tour. We all know this story.

I still think there is a big demand for her older your releases. Especially Virgin and BAT since they are so legendary.

I think there's a big chance we might get those two next year. It was a good idea to releas the TOD bluray around the time of the album and perform, since Madonnas name was everywhere at the time. They might want to cash onto that again next year, plus it'll be 25 and 30 year Anniversaries for those

I'm here for a digital release of the Virgin Tour as long as Angel, Burning Up and Borderline are on there too!

Madonna’s manager asked me to archive everything she’d ever recorded into Digital Performer. I had a few weeks off, and I had about a hundred songs to do. It was insane. What did that entail - transferring individual parts from the original multitracks? Exactly, plus I combined different versions from different tours. Some of the William Orbit stuff was on two 48-track digital machines, and I had to go through all the tracks and figure out what was used on the final version. The Music record was a lot easier - straight-ahead files, two- and eight-track stems. The older stuff was on analog tape that had to be baked. It was an enormous project.

OMFG :dramatic:

As far back as the nineties, her reissues have been handled haphazardly.

In 1995, CD maxi single reissues made in Germany were a hot mess. They had it all... Wrong tracks, bad mastering and questionable cropping, stretching and airbrushing decisions to fit scans of square sleeve art into the dimensions of the CD slim-cases.

In 1997, the Japan 3" CD Single Collection box was thankfully well mastered, but the artwork suffered. In most cases the sleeves look like dull color copies of the originals and were treated to some of the same shoddy airbrushing to remove original bar codes and catalog numbers. In a few cases, promo sleeves were used instead of their commercial counterparts (likely to avoid the bar code issue) but those carried track listings different from those released commercially and therefore from those included in the set.

The 2001 remasters of the first three albums are way too loud. As for the artwork, on Madonna they stretched the back cover image to fit the jewel case insert instead of simply cropping it (it can be seen in correct aspect ratio on the back of the booklet itself.) The front cover of True Blue is cropped incorrectly... looks like it was done from the poster image included in the booklet. On the back her name and title logo were edited to be slightly separated and part of an "A" in her name is missing.

The less said about the 2012 Complete Studio Albums and Original Album Series boxed sets, the better.

giphy.gif

The less said about the 2012 Complete Studio Albums and Original Album Series boxed sets, the better.

giphy.gif

Once again, thank you Mattress. I thought I was the only one offended by the 2012 box set release. So much so, as much of a hard core collector that I am, I refused to buy it.

This topic makes me so mad! Her back catalog has irritated me for years. I know a lot of people say it's down to costs, but some of the mishaps like badly cropped and scanned artwork is just unforgivable. How are these people working at Warner getting away with it? Being a graphic designer myself I know it's not difficult in slightest to just crop an image of scan in HD. Aaaahhhhhh