Madonna's catalog should be treated better...

madonna_fan1988

I was just thinking, don't you think Madonna's team should care more about Madonna's legacy online?

She should have her music videos on a Vevo channel or something. And by now they should be remastered also.

There are songs that are simply so hard to be found on youtube. Where's You'll See? Wanna watch the Ray Of Light music video? Search for "Madonna Ray Of light" and you'll find 4 videos above 100.000 views. One is the confessions tour version, there's the sticky and sweet one, etc...but none of them is the official video.

Wanna see the Sorry music video? There's a 720p video with OVER A MILLION VIEWS. Guess what? Not on her official channel either.

Someone with almost 70 singles deserves so much more.

Am i alone in this?

Even the MDNA music videos are a mess! Give Me All Your Luvin is on "madonna". Girl Gone Wild has 2 official videos, on different channels: madonna and "MADONNAVEVO". Turn Up the Radio is only on "MADONNAVEVO".

I always say this. With every album release and the Celebration album was a clear example.

She's Madonna for God's sake and she get the worst marketing strategy. There's tons of material to milk her work and should be out there with the proper exposure.

I didn't even want to go there. The way her music videos were treated on Celebration is just too much for me. Censorship, mix of 4:3 and 16/9, not remastered, lots of videos missing, etc. Many were actually similar to VHS quality. We're talking about Madonna here, how did that happen? xD

No, you are not alone in this. It is extremely upsetting, and unfortunately we may have to wait until the worst happens for every actor to get their shit together and do something about it.

I thought she had a Vevo channel, which is terrible and unintereting?

Even the SuperBowl performance was taken down early on YouTube, where it had gathered almost 15m views in a month or two. The version that's up now is HD but not on any official channels - and it's got millions of views as well.

I think her catalogue is treated like that of an active artist - not too much time looking back, quickly moving from one project to the next.

I think it's a deliberate choice not to spend time or effort on her back catalogue; once that begins, she's a legacy artist, and I don't think she's ready for that yet.

I'd love a fully-stocked Vevo channel, though.

Edited by xxianyxx

Guest CzarnaWisnia

I don't think videos on youtube is that important, but yeah, Madonna's one of the artists whose back catalogue is the most neglected. I think of Bjork who had reissues, remasters, numerous boxsets of live stuff, bsides, etc., numerous DVDs including documentaries and TV performances, high quality video collections, singles box sets, etc. I wish we had the same for Madonna.

I didn't even want to go there. The way her music videos were treated on Celebration is just too much for me. Censorship, mix of 4:3 and 16/9, not remastered, lots of videos missing, etc. Many were actually similar to VHS quality. We're talking about Madonna here, how did that happen? xD

Big mistery the reason behind this. Why the shitty artists get the better items? It's frustrating and unfair. :lol:

I remember the rumors of a box set around the RIT era.

Guest Rachelle of London

Madonna is one of few artists that has made excellent music videos consistently for over 30 years. Most of her music videos are more iconic than most other artists combined. It would be great if they were all displayed in one place, Youtube is the perfect place for that.

The poor treatment of-- and apparent lack of desire to preserve-- her recorded work is disappointing.

God knows how much has been lost or misplaced due to negligence and disorganization during all of these label shake-ups. The absence of any form of quality control on most official releases of late indicates that things will likely continue to deteriorate. The Queen deserves better.

Another thing: Remasters from ALL HER TOURS!

I mean...seriously!

. The Virgin Tour was on VHS decades ago and that was it. (2 songs missing wasn't it?) Try to find it anywhere, good luck.

. For Ciao Italia we got a shitty "from VHS to DVD conversion" in the late 90's.

. Blond Ambition Tour, one of the most influential tours of ALL TIME was only released on Laserdisk at the time with the Nice concert in there. Also released in Japan i think with a Japanese show. (right?). Some Tv specials were done but not officially released. Impossible to find nowadays.

. The Girlie Show was released on VHS and then directly converted to DVD in 4:3 in the late 90's. That's it.

. Drowned World Tour as a 4:3 concert...but at least it's available. Hard to find, but compared with all the others so far, it's actually a release i can't complain much, besides the fact that it was released in 2001 and never touched again.

. Re-Invention Tour: Never released in no way, shape or form. How they messed up this release i'll never know!

. The Confessions Tour. Finally they actually realized Madonna was a touring force. Probably the best concert release she ever had. Still...only available on DVD. This is 2014! I'm just going to say something for you all to think: Madonna had her first visual 16:9 experience released in 2007. Nothing else to say really.

. Sticky & Sweet. No complains. Easily available in DVD, Blu-Ray. No sound or picture issues.

. MDNA Tour. Messed up the Colombia shootings, so the Miami filmings were poorly planned, shows started hours late and it made lots of people leave during the show and it affected the final product. Had to use other shows for crowd shots. Final product had to be corrected because in some regions the DVD's and Blu-Rays were messed up. At least it WAS released in Blu-Ray and 16:9...not too bad i guess, even if some audio problems still persist in some editions of this release.

Now that i actually just read all i just wrote here, it's worse than i though. o_O

Its coz she clearly has no interest on doing a 30yo deluxe version of like a virgin with booklets lyrics ,poster, demos , new versions , video singles and all those things we see artists releasing

And probably warner still waiting for he death :x

I don't think videos on youtube is that important, but yeah, Madonna's one of the artists whose back catalogue is the most neglected. I think of Bjork who had reissues, remasters, numerous boxsets of live stuff, bsides, etc., numerous DVDs including documentaries and TV performances, high quality video collections, singles box sets, etc. I wish we had the same for Madonna.

Yeah! Bjork releases a video, makes a documentary of it, than a making off of that documentary, then a director's cut of the documentary and a making off of the directos'rs cut.

Then she remasters it all and releases it all over again! LOVE HER!

I agree completely. I know that I've stated this before, but when you have classics like "Like A Prayer" and "Express Yourself" still unavailable commercially in their hit single versions -- that is, the 7" mixes -- after 25 years then something is definitely wrong.

Her back catalogue is handled very poorly.

This is one area of the Madonna world that is really not debatable. Her entire body of work is horribly mismanaged.

The remastering of tours (BAT....HELLO), albums (LAP...HELLO), singles, maxi-singles (of which artists are now putting up on itunes), and of course the videos.

Youtube IS important in this day and age (considering "music" tv channels rarely play videos) - there is no reason why the videos aren't properly remastered and all in one official place on youtube.

There really is no legitimate excuse for how things have been handled (what seems like a lack in archiving, a lack (at the time) in using the best tech (why were so many of her things filmed in t.v. tech instead of superior film formats), etc.)

And as for "nostalgia act"...there are plenty of 'current' artists that treat their body of work very, very well, without relying on it.

That "nostalgia act" thing is no excuse whatsoever. And the "waiting until you know what" thing is also a poor excuse. Then you get a shitty Michael Jackson situation.

I agree completely. I know that I've stated this before, but when you have classics like "Like A Prayer" and "Express Yourself" still unavailable commercially in their hit single versions -- that is, the 7" mixes -- after 25 years then something is definitely wrong.

Her back catalogue is handled very poorly.

And bless you our good friend for all the incredible remasterings you've done!!! Don't know what my Madonna library would sound like if it wasn't for you. Thank you!!!

it will happen at some point....there will be madonna virtual musem or something...she doesent care couse is is still running like crazy in new things and WB doesent care couse it doesent have profit as they think they should have. but...this will change

Guest bluejean

Well the 7" mix was never released on CD in the first place so I'm doubting anyone even remembers it at this point. TIC versions of both songs seem to have outlived the originals.

It would be nice if Warner/Madonna/whoever would agree to re-release all the singles digitally as well as in a CD box set and perhaps have a fan take care of it (ie Mattress.) Now we know with Mattress in charge the result would be exactly as it should be.

Madonna is one of few artists that has made excellent music videos consistently for over 30 years. Most of her music videos are more iconic than most other artists combined. It would be great if they were all displayed in one place, Youtube is the perfect place for that.

Exactly.

I can kinda understand why they may not want to do something like this for her albums, as the sales may not be so strong for a release that would cost so much to make. They would prob wanna wait later in her career.

What is sad is the release of her DVDs. Now that's a monstrosity of an error:

-Virgin Tour never being released on DVD

-Blond Ambition never getting a proper format release and still not being available on DVD

-The lack of special features. Cameras are on her 24/7. There were so many making ofs for MDNA yet they only included one.

-Re-Invention tour. We all know this story.

I still think there is a big demand for her older your releases. Especially Virgin and BAT since they are so legendary.

I think there's a big chance we might get those two next year. It was a good idea to releas the TOD bluray around the time of the album and perform, since Madonnas name was everywhere at the time. They might want to cash onto that again next year, plus it'll be 25 and 30 year Anniversaries for those

It has always amazed me how artists who sell far less than Madonna seem to have the most gorgeous, detailed and thorough releases, esp when it comes to box sets, compilations or retrospectives. It has always seemed that Madonna herself is not interested in creatively overseeing the releases of her previous work so it is left to the record company who knows they can slap her name on a dried out turd and still sell thousands of copies. As someone else mentioned, it is taking advantage of the fans, they know we will buy whatever crap they shit out simply because it is "official". Madonna's legacy is one of the most complex and visually appealing musical careers in history and the handling of it, especially in packaging form, should be the best there is.

well, from my experience working in a record store, special editions & re-issues when done well r actually money makers since it's usually for 'older' acts that r still willing 2 pay 4 a physical release...& trust me the gays especially will buy any old shit :lol:

A Blu-ray for Celebration was a huge missed opportunity imo.

The sad part of it all is that I really don't imagine anything changing much until Madonna is far older and not releasing as much new material...or even worse, after she is gone and the retro-releases are left up to her estate.

As Acko mentioned, when done right, the special editions, etc will sell far more when done RIGHT as they will attract more than just the hardcore fans, but casual fans as well. I myself have shelled out $ for really well done box sets, etc for artists that I am not major fans of as it was a quick, complete way to have a good representation of their work. I guess perhaps casual fans do not see what we see when it comes to lackluster releases such as Celebration, but I assure you they will pay mind to some badass box set that actually LOOKS like an ultimate representation.

Madonna will have her back catalog digitized and remastered (audio and video) for streaming only. Madonna's physical media legacy will be made up of originals and reissues. Very little if any special editions that were not initial release special editions. Madonna will create a frenzy without making any official extensive compilation releases.