Wes Craven said this about Madonna...

Samo

Regardless of what we think, it was his movie and his vision. If they both had differences in views about it, then it is his call. Same with how Madonna had her vision on WE. The director and writers have to be able to have the most say.

Easy tiger (tigress :wow:) with that common sense talk! They're on the prowl y'know....

Maybe it wasn't about scheduling conflicts afterall :rotfl:

In her letter to Roth, Madonna writes:

“After directing ‘Coupe de Ville,’ and being involved with projects like ‘Revenge of the Nerds,’ ‘Young Guns,’ ‘Exorcist III’ and ‘The Fabulous Stains,’ you are certainly qualified to speak about the art of acting and great filmmaking.”

She goes on to say: “I can understand why you had reservations about my ability. I can see why you would think Geena Davis the better actress for the part. After all she’s Italian and she has an edge. How foolish of me to think I had the ability to play a vulnerable character unlike anything I’ve done to date. I should just stay in the gutter where I belong working with low lifes like Abel Ferrara and being hated by the general public.”

In closing, Madonna added, “I’m just grateful that I had the chance to inspire the writer to write the screenplay that is sure to make you and Roger and Larry 3 very happy fellas in Hollywood.”

Love & kisses, Dita.”

Madonna, don't you go throwing shade at Revenge of the Nerds- only the second greatest 80's movie of all time!!! How cool would it have been for Madoona to play the chick that shows " bush" or one of the omega mow girls. Instead she films shanghai kinder surprise :(

Madonna, don't you go throwing shade at Revenge of the Nerds- only the second greatest 80's movie of all time!!! How cool would it have been for Madoona to play the chick that shows " bush" or one of the omega mow girls. Instead she films shanghai kinder surprise :(

Not cool at all.

I have never seen this movie. I would have to know what exactly Madonna wanted for the charactor or what creative differences they had to really comment on this particular exchange but I have to say that I do not get excited about Madonna and movies because from what I have seen over the years and how it comes across is that Madonna is stubborn when it comes to films. Could she not have explored what a writer or director saw in her? It's a film, she's playing a charactor that might posess a part of her personality that they see. I'm confused about Madonna in films because she seemed to let go in films like DSS, ALOTO, Dick Tracy but they are supporting roles. Evita was a musical which is why I think she was able to give such a good performance.

I do not think she makes very good choices in films and really should let go more as where in music I don't think she shows enough confidence. Madonna was meant to be successful in music and I feel she should embrace that more in filmmaking and in the process. I believe Madonna loves music but it "seems" to me that she fights that sometimes and wants to be successful in something else.

As an actress I would love to see Madonna in a movie where she let's go and becomes the charactor. I particulary would like to see her direct films because I find it fascinating to see a story through her eyes.

If there is one other art form I had to choose it would be for Madonna to write a book.

I disagree. Surely one of the problems that even Madonna herself has acknowledged with her film work is the inability of the audience to separate MADONNA the icon from whatever character she's playing on screen? To link Abby with yoga, which the whole world knew was Madonna's post-lola fitness regime at the time, just served to remind everyone that "hey that's Madonna", whilst at the same time she's covering the gap in her front teeth to "de-madonna" herself. So yes It was silly, an actress shouldn't always need to "play to their strength". Sometimes going against the grain reaps the most rewards.

THIS

Madge just wanna act in movies where the character she's acting sounds like "Madonna".

She had said that a few times in interviews.

Guest bluejean

This is true and with Evita she had them changing quite a lot of things to suit her. For example 'Another Suitcase In Another Hall' was not her characters song at all. She also wanted to change the whole portrayal of the character to show her softer side.

Most directors do not want actors telling them how their film should be made, it's probably their worst nightmare. Madonna isn't suited to acting because she's a control freak. Actors don't make creative decisions. They have to let go, trust the director and don't have say on which takes are used or what hits the cutting room floor. It's just like how screenwriters don't have final input on the filmmaking process. If you want input with all of those things you have to do it all. Maybe she should have gone down that path but as we know she never liked the idea of directing herself in a movie.

:rotfl: It's funny she's so high and mighty looking down at him there considering her filmography.

:rotfl: It's funny she's so high and mighty looking down at him there considering her filmography.

Well in all fairness it was the other way around, she was just saying what about your 'shit'...

Well in all fairness it was the other way around, she was just saying what about your 'shit'...

But Revenge of the Nerds is not shit.

Guest Pud Whacker

she should direct and star in a film like babs did with yentl :thumbsup: and the soundtrack!

I would DIE!!!

Reading this thread makes me think I should invest in some of her DVDs. I've never seen Shanghai Surprise. I can get it for £3 on Amazon second hand. Is it worth it? Should I get it? I always thought she looked so pretty in clips from it.

:tigger:

Guest Pud Whacker

I wish she was brave enough to do Sunset Blvd the musical. I just think it's perfect on so many levels. So many that I can't get into right now. Xoox

Guest Pud Whacker

Reading this thread makes me think I should invest in some of her DVDs. I've never seen Shanghai Surprise. I can get it for £3 on Amazon second hand. Is it worth it? Should I get it? I always thought she looked so pretty in clips from it.

:tigger:

YAAASS !! :rotfl:

I wish she was brave enough to do Sunset Blvd the musical. I just think it's perfect on so many levels. So many that I can't get into right now. Xoox

:dramatic:

Oh Pud she would be perfect in it! SB is my favourite musical. Norma's songs are so beautiful.

But she will never do it because the crux of the film is about a woman's age and lack of acting skills...:chuckle:

^ actually it's about how society thinks they can recycle women like objects. The charactor is horrible and is portrayed to boost the opinion of society. Instead of owning their disgusting way of thinking they make the woman out to be the villian. That is the purpose of that film. Madonna is the opposite of that.

A woman's sanity is not reliant on how much the public loves her. Can't stand that they ( and her fans) don't have that power over her can they?

^ actually it's about how society thinks they can recycle women like objects. The charactor is horrible and is portrayed to boost the opinion of society. Instead of owning their disgusting way of thinking they make the woman out to be the villian. That is the purpose of that film. Madonna is the opposite of that.

A woman's sanity is not reliant on how much the public loves her. Can't stand that they ( and her fans) don't have that power over her can they?

It wouldn't be a remake of the film ( the synopsis you've given I disagree with anyway) but a film version of the broadway musical based on the film which does indeed focus on ageing and narcissism and the hellhole that is Hollywood - all things that Madonna could surely get her teeth into. If, as i've heard, Lloyd Webber wants Madonna to play Norma and she's turned it down, then she's foolish indeed. It has the potential to be a great last hurrah for her on the silver-screen and an Evita-esque triumph for her in the acting department.

I think she should do another musical movie...the audience isnt as focused on watching 'MADONNA' as much when its a musical...i think she did great in the long form music video for Evita ....hahaha

she almost did Chicago with Goldie Hawn right?

Another musical would be the way to go but I think we may as well just accept that she'll be focusing on trying to direct another vanity project movie of her own after next years tour. I doubt she would want to put the time, effort and hard work into another screen role of that magnitude at this point in her life, especially if it could mean unfortunate parallels being made between her and the character.

I think the Chicago thing was just bad timing...the project moved on, other people came on board and Madge and Goldie dropped out. I'm not sure of the ins and outs of that really.

It wouldn't be a remake of the film ( the synopsis you've given I disagree with anyway) but a film version of the broadway musical based on the film which does indeed focus on ageing and narcissism and the hellhole that is Hollywood - all things that Madonna could surely get her teeth into. If, as i've heard, Lloyd Webber wants Madonna to play Norma and she's turned it down, then she's foolish indeed. It has the potential to be a great last hurrah for her on the silver-screen and an Evita-esque triumph for her in the acting department.

Last hurrah for her at 55? Is Sean Connery still acting or been praised in a movie in the last decade? Madonna is not foolish and there is no way she will take that role. There are other roles.