Wes Craven said this about Madonna...

Samo

Guest bluejean

I thought Swept Away was an enjoyable film but that Madonna was abit shit in it.

In truth I think, while Madonna is not a great actor there are some very successful actors in Hollywood who are no better. If she'd never done singing maybe she'd have been more successful. But what sort of awful universe would THAT be?

It's a little perverse of me but I've always been pleased her film career tanked. Because if it hadn't I feel sure she would have released less music. And in an interview late 80s time (I think) she more or less confirmed it would be the case - that she would act more and sing less.

this made me think of..

"sex and madonna, this world has been trained to associate one issue to other, now you've come up sweeter and discrete has your sexual-lit also change-ed?"

:madgemanson:

:lmao:

Oh Gabriela... :rotfl:

Guest bluejean

Sometimes I think her having a 'failure' in life makes not only the public feel better but also her fans, to a certain extent. You know?

Her "failure" in film definitely shines a light on her music. No star is allowed to shine endlessly.

Guest Pud Whacker

Her "failure" in film definitely shines a light on her music. No star is allowed to shine endlessly.

It's true!

Guest Pud Whacker

Didn't she once say she saw music as a stepping stone to being an actress?

There's so much in the history of Madonna. You know after the virgin tour she said she would only tour again if her manager put a gun to her head.

She really changed the way pop stars and rock stars are viewed and made that the new movie star. That's what people now wanted to do.

She created the whole thing, the template. I don't think she could foresee that actually what she's doing is greater than The Movie Star.

She knows it now. Look at the landscape.

Guest bluejean

There's so much in the history of Madonna. You know after the virgin tour she said she would only tour again if her manager put a gun to her head.

She really changed the way pop stars and rock stars are viewed and made that the new movie star. That's what people now wanted to do.

She created the whole thing, the template. I don't think she could foresee that actually what she's doing is greater than The Movie Star.

And funnily enough there aren't any famous actresses from the 80's or 90's (or now) as famous as Madonna.

Guest whatatramp

Xtina-cry.gif

Wes Craven is a good director

I mean he was the man that created Freddy Krueger, not to mention that he directed all 4 Scream films.

Guest Pud Whacker

And funnily enough there aren't any famous actresses from the 80's or 90's (or now) as famous as Madonna.

Of course! And we all know who they want to see at the parties, they want to see MADONNA!!!!

It always reeks of bullshit to me when men (particularly straight men) ask for women to "tone down the sexuality"...? I mean, really? Do you ask the men that? I doubt it.

Why can't she be a sexual being AND a more sensitive, vulnerable being at the same time? I mean, the woman proved she could do so with pretty much everything she did after the Erotica projects up through the end of the 90s.

I don't know...I feel like some people, men and women, but particularly the men, are subconsciously intimidated by that power Madonna has (and any women like her)... that combination of sexuality and confidence...and vulnerability and sensitivity. Maybe it's because so many men cannot handle or understand that within themselves, so they project that insecure bullshit onto others (women, gay men, etc.). "For me to handle you, you have to tone down who you are..." kind of bull... They do that to Queer sexuality too... when predominately straight writers/directors put Queer characters into their shows/films, and they're completely sanitized. It's so... transparent.

Guest Pud Whacker

It always reeks of bullshit to me when men (particularly straight men) ask for women to "tone down the sexuality"...? I mean, really? Do you ask the men that? I doubt it.

Why can't she be a sexual being AND a more sensitive, vulnerable being at the same time? I mean, the woman proved she could do so with pretty much everything she did after the Erotica projects up through the end of the 90s.

I don't know...I feel like some people, men and women, but particularly the men, are subconsciously intimidated by that power Madonna has (and any women like her)... that combination of sexuality and confidence...and vulnerability and sensitivity. Maybe it's because so many men cannot handle or understand that within themselves, so they project that insecure bullshit onto others (women, gay men, etc.). "For me to handle you, you have to tone down who you are..." kind of bull... They do that to Queer sexuality too... when predominately straight writers/directors put Queer characters into their shows/films, and they're completely sanitized. It's so... transparent.

I never saw the film but if the character is a hausfrau or a librarian that has 20 cats, I can understand his request. Madonna reeks of sex.

I never saw the film but if the character is a hausfrau or a librarian that has 20 cats, I can understand his request. Madonna reeks of sex.

I wasn't so much referring to just this character though. My rant was more 'in general'.

Yeah, for this character, I get that. But it's still condescending on his part...as if Madonna doesn't have the intelligence to know what this character needs and shape that appropriately?

I understand where Wes Craven is coming from. He's one of my favorite directors, so I'll try not to be too biased. But having said that, he of all people should understand what it's like to be associated with a certain kind of image. He has written and directed some of the most provocative and iconic horror films of all time, I'm sure producers were weary of him wanting to take on Music of the Heart. He even threatened not to film Scream 3 if he wasn't allowed to direct this film first. If this quote is true and not taken out of context, he should know better. But I see him as a very smart individual who has created some extremely strong female characters, so I hope that's not the case.

Roger Ebert on Wes Craven directing the film, "The movie was directed by Wes Craven, known for his horror films ("Scream," "A Nightmare on Elm Street"), and he may seem like a strange choice for this material. Not at all. He is in fact a cultured man who broke into movies doing horror and got stuck in the genre; he's been trying to fight his way free from studio typecasting for 20 years, and this movie shows that he can get Meryl Streep to Carnegie Hall just as easily as a phantom to the opera."

On a side note, the film is pretty good.

Edited by TXIII

Wes is absolutely right in what he's saying. I've previously read him say nothing but good things about Madonna, and even in this context-free quote, there's nothing bad. He's talking about this particular role, based on a documentary and on a real-life person. His only problem was that Madonna wanted to rewrite the script to sex up the character but he, as the director, quite rightly wanted to shoot his own script.

However unmemorable the Streep movie turned out, I would much, much, MUCH rather Madonna had followed up Evita with 50 Violins (it's original, better title) than the abominable Next Best Thing, another movie in which Madge demanded silly Madonna-esque re-writes (changing Abby from a swimming instructor to yoga instructor etc.)

His only problem was that Madonna wanted to rewrite the script to sex up the character but he, as the director, quite rightly wanted to shoot his own script.

I'm biting my tongue, should have seen that one coming.

However unmemorable the Streep movie turned out, I would much, much, MUCH rather Madonna had followed up Evita with 50 Violins (it's original, better title) than the abominable Next Best Thing, another movie in which Madge demanded silly Madonna-esque re-writes (changing Abby from a swimming instructor to yoga instructor etc.)

Silly Madonna-esque re-writes? I don't think changing Abby from a swimming instructor to a yoga instructor was "silly." Yoga was her thing at the time and she understood it enough to look professional doing it. That played to a strength.

Silly Madonna-esque re-writes? I don't think changing Abby from a swimming instructor to a yoga instructor was "silly." Yoga was her thing at the time and she understood it enough to look professional doing it. That played to a strength.

I actually thought it was silly that Madonna's character was a yoga instructor... Everyone knew Madonna was 'all about yoga' at the time.

maybe it was a cute shout out to yoga idk, don't attack me.

I disagree. Surely one of the problems that even Madonna herself has acknowledged with her film work is the inability of the audience to separate MADONNA the icon from whatever character she's playing on screen? To link Abby with yoga, which the whole world knew was Madonna's post-lola fitness regime at the time, just served to remind everyone that "hey that's Madonna", whilst at the same time she's covering the gap in her front teeth to "de-madonna" herself. So yes It was silly, an actress shouldn't always need to "play to their strength". Sometimes going against the grain reaps the most rewards.

Bless you Pud. Yep, she's not always been bad. I actually thought she was good in Swept Away once she was off the boat.

I agree on SA. The second half is not bad at all. She's always good playing the victim.

Regardless of what we think, it was his movie and his vision. If they both had differences in views about it, then it is his call. Same with how Madonna had her vision on WE. The director and writers have to be able to have the most say.