Wes Craven said this about Madonna...

Samo

Before Meryl Streep took over, Madonna was supposed to star in Music of My Heart, hears what director Craven had to,say about Madonna and her walking away from the project due to "creative differences"

There was a time when I looked at Madonna and said, here is a poor Italian woman starting off from an imigrant family, who brought herself up by her own bootstraps and, like Roberta, built a life around music. I thought if she could just put away that whole side of her that is fasinated by sexuality away, then there might be some extraordinarily vulnerable, sensitive woman inside that, if she was willing to reveal it, could make it a breakthrough in her career.

Interesting.

I had always hoped - after Evita - that Madonna would develop into a great actress. She showed real promise in that movie, and I thought she was on a good track. When she dropped out of Music of the Heart, I was seriously disappointed. Mostly because I wanted to see her in a dramatic, non-glamorous role where she was still tied to music (and her playing the violin would've been so cool), but not necessarily singing.

However, even with Meryl in the role this film grossed less than The Next Best Thing.

As an untrained actress I've always been bemused by the fact she has creative differences at all. As if she knows what's good and what isn't when it comes to acting lol. I've always thought her acting was poor and it stems from her belief that she thinks she knows what makes a good film and script. She might have made a better actress if she had just signed up to a film and done what the director wanted instead of asking for script changes and to have creative input.

Guest whatatramp

Music of My Heart came out in 1999 after evita, after she had lola and the ray of light era he obviously hadn't been paying attention

omg no please don't turn this into another "can she act" thread

My understanding is that she was fired from the project because of her diva attitude.

Well your completely wrong. Nothing like that has ever been suggested about this project at all. Madonna wanted to focus more on Roberta's personal life and Craven wanted the professional music/teacher/school stuff to take centre stage, end.

Guest whatatramp

Sexuality and Madonna is like butter and bread. You can't think of one without the other.

this made me think of..

"sex and madonna, this world has been trained to associate one issue to other, now you've come up sweeter and discrete has your sexual-lit also change-ed?"

:madgemanson:

this made me think of..

"sex and madonna, this world has been trained to associate one issue to other, now you've come up sweeter and discrete has your sexual-lit also change-ed?"

:rotfl:

As an untrained actress I've always been bemused by the fact she has creative differences at all. As if she knows what's good and what isn't when it comes to acting lol. I've always thought her acting was poor and it stems from her belief that she thinks she knows what makes a good film and script. She might have made a better actress if she had just signed up to a film and done what the director wanted instead of asking for script changes and to have creative input.

This.

From outside she seems more like an actress who won't take direction than flat out bad.

Funny thing, while Craven seems to be referencing exactly this, he brings up her sexuality, as if a person couldn't be sexually aggressive and emotionally vulnerable at the same time. Sounds like he's just projecting his own insecurities on the subject.

Guest Pud Whacker

this made me think of..

:madgemanson:

:rotfl:

is that the lezbo brazilian woman quote?!!!

Still got another Oscar nomination though, of course. This movie is a POS. :lmao:

The best thing that came from it is the performance of Frozen with the East Harlem music choir. :bow:

True. It's a shame she put so much work into it, even tentatively learning violin iirc to then have to leave the project and for old Meryl to roll up and get her usual automatic Oscar nom. The movie was so vanilla and unmemorable, I remember nothing about it.

Didn't she have a film written with her in mind once?. I think it ended up being called Gloria. It was about an Italian American woman and her rights of passage? Slight comedic tone to it. The team behind it were determined to make it work and they tailored it for Madonna only for her her to walk away last minute and Geena Davis was drafted in quick to replace her.? She did Dangerous Game instead iirc. Although I think the Geena film bombed it goes to show how awkward she was when it came to making and picking films.

Guest Pud Whacker

Didn't she have a film written with her in mind once?. I think it ended up being called Gloria. It was about an Italian American woman and her rights of passage? Slight comedic tone to it. The team behind it were determined to make it work and they tailored it for Madonna only for her her to walk away last minute and Geena Davis was drafted in quick to replace her.? She did Dangerous Game instead iirc. Although I think the Geena film bombed it goes to show how awkward she was when it came to making and picking films.

what it really goes to show is films bomb whether madonna's in them or not.

madonna's flops are more well known then other actors great successes!!!

Angie it was called....I think.

The filming schedule conflicted with Dangerous Game and the producers or director wouldn't budge. Madge was mad and sent them angry fax's that got printed in the press.

You can still have creative differences in terms of storytelling. Madonna may not be a trained actress but she sure knows a thing or two about how to tell a story.

what it really goes to show is films bomb whether madonna's in them or not.

madonna's flops are more well known then other actors great successes!!!

Lol yes it does. But I remember reading at the time how much the team behind the film worked hard to make it Madonna-proof. They were sure they could get a good performance from her and wrote it for her. She just seems like such a bitch :lol: dropping out at the last minute after the work that went into it for her!

Maybe it wasn't about scheduling conflicts afterall :rotfl:

In her letter to Roth, Madonna writes:

“After directing ‘Coupe de Ville,’ and being involved with projects like ‘Revenge of the Nerds,’ ‘Young Guns,’ ‘Exorcist III’ and ‘The Fabulous Stains,’ you are certainly qualified to speak about the art of acting and great filmmaking.”

She goes on to say: “I can understand why you had reservations about my ability. I can see why you would think Geena Davis the better actress for the part. After all she’s Italian and she has an edge. How foolish of me to think I had the ability to play a vulnerable character unlike anything I’ve done to date. I should just stay in the gutter where I belong working with low lifes like Abel Ferrara and being hated by the general public.”

In closing, Madonna added, “I’m just grateful that I had the chance to inspire the writer to write the screenplay that is sure to make you and Roger and Larry 3 very happy fellas in Hollywood.”

Love & kisses, Dita.”

You can still have creative differences in terms of storytelling. Madonna may not be a trained actress but she sure knows a thing or two about how to tell a story.

But unfortunately not how to portray it on film.

:sad:

Guest bluejean

She has put her "obsession with sexuality" aside and was willing to "reveal it" and there WAS an extraordinary woman inside.

Refer to Ray of Light, Evita, Something To Remember, Bedtime Stories.... The list is endless.

Maybe if Wes Craven could stop viewing her so one dimensionally for a moment and appreciate her entire body of work which shows how multi faceted she is.

Guest whatatramp

Maybe it wasn't about scheduling conflicts afterall :rotfl:

In her letter to Roth, Madonna writes:

“After directing ‘Coupe de Ville,’ and being involved with projects like ‘Revenge of the Nerds,’ ‘Young Guns,’ ‘Exorcist III’ and ‘The Fabulous Stains,’ you are certainly qualified to speak about the art of acting and great filmmaking.”

She goes on to say: “I can understand why you had reservations about my ability. I can see why you would think Geena Davis the better actress for the part. After all she’s Italian and she has an edge. How foolish of me to think I had the ability to play a vulnerable character unlike anything I’ve done to date. I should just stay in the gutter where I belong working with low lifes like Abel Ferrara and being hated by the general public.”

In closing, Madonna added, “I’m just grateful that I had the chance to inspire the writer to write the screenplay that is sure to make you and Roger and Larry 3 very happy fellas in Hollywood.”

Love & kisses, Dita.”

I remember this :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Guest Pud Whacker

But unfortunately not how to portray it on film.

:sad:

Ouch! :lol:

She was fab in DSS, WTG, DT, ALOTO. DG, Evita and, to me, that's more great performances than those that call acting their only profession!!!

Ouch! :lol:

She was fab in DSS, WTG, DT, ALOTO. DG, Evita and, to me, that's more great performances that call acting their only profession!!!

Bless you Pud. Yep, she's not always been bad. I actually thought she was good in Swept Away once she was off the boat.

Guest Pud Whacker

Bless you Pud. Yep, she's not always been bad. I actually thought she was good in Swept Away once she was off the boat.

I love swept away!

Sometimes I think her having a 'failure' in life makes not only the public feel better but also her fans, to a certain extent. You know?

People want to be viewed as discriminatory and madonnas acting ventures allow them to not seem obsessed. Or viewing her through rose tinted glasses.