What do we think of Justify My Love?

Bill

She's certainly had some risky single releases- "Oh Father" was not a safe, ready-for-mass-radio-consumption; nor was "Bad Girl," "Bedtime Story" and "Human Nature."

JML was, too- even Billboard wrote it would test the devotion of radio programmers (this was when BB's reviews were mostly about chart-potential). I like JML, but it's never been one of my favorites.

I was referring to JML. I don't consider it risky. For me, the most risky thing she did was something to remember.

Bless! You must be very young.

I was a teenager when JML was released, so trust me it was a huge risk and totally unique musically.

And yes I'm Breathless was also a big risk. M had no fear back then.

STR was sooo not a risk, more like a plea to the public prior to Evita.

And no we cannot see her doing Live To Tell nor do we want to. Ballads are her weakest point, I can't think of a single ballad she's done that has been successful. Her ballads all sound like Shania Twain songs.

post-23747-Oprah-shaking-head-NO-gif-Img

He's talking about Gaga! I disagree, I like her ballads, even if they're not a patch on M's.

*runs away and hides*

Ok, sorry my mistake! I really thought he was talking about Madonna :lmao:

BTW i totally agree with him, Gaga's ballads are just not good. Some of her dance songs are great but certainly not her ballads in my opinion.

I was a teenager when JML was released, so trust me it was a huge risk and totally unique musically.

+1

Big ballads were all the rage in 1995, and after BS and HN flopped, releasing a David Foster-produced single and an album of ballads was very commercially viable.

Maybe not now, but it sure was at the time of its release. Especially the video.

For Madonna to release a music video that MTV refused to play (because MTV used to play a lot of Madonna videos), that was pretty big stuff.

I understand what you're saying but maybe you think that way because you have an American sensibility. I live in Europe and I lived through the era JML was released and it wasn't half as controversial as it was over there.

See above. The reason I say it wasn't risky is because it was dipping her feet in the water as it were. She was testing before really diving in. The reason I said STR was more risky is because it stepped away from Madonna's image as an overtly sexual, dance orientated, confident woman. She had been building that image for ten years and suddenly did something very different. Not everything that the mainstream consider negative should be deemed risky and vice versa.

NB: Yes I am a very young bitch.

Thank you! Exactly what I meant, Madonna no longer takes the MUSICAL risks she used to.

Cicatrix et al keep banging on about repeating herself/controversies etc, but I'm real talking about the music.

Yes Gang Bang could have been, put she chickened out of releasing it in favour of braindead singles like TUTR etc.

JML was musically risky when it was released, it wasn´t what mainstream radios were playing, in fact, in spain, the biggest radio, los 40 principales, played it but it was her first lead single not to be number 1 on the list since she became a star.On the other hand, a more indie oriented magazine, rock de luxe, thought it was her best song...A lot of people around me didn´t like it, because it wasn´t neither a ballad nor a pure dance song. And the video, well, that was what madonna was supposed to do in 1990-1991, I saw it on the news for the firsdt time because it was banned by the MTV, I didnt know she had a video-song GH coming out.

what did I thought? in the beginning that the song was a little bit lame, then i have grown to like it, but I didn´t play it a lot, is not my type of madonna song.

I understand what you're saying but maybe you think that way because you have an American sensibility. I live in Europe and I lived through the era JML was released and it wasn't half as controversial as it was over there.

See above. The reason I say it wasn't risky is because it was dipping her feet in the water as it were. She was testing before really diving in. The reason I said STR was more risky is because it stepped away from Madonna's image as an overtly sexual, dance orientated, confident woman. She had been building that image for ten years and suddenly did something very different. Not everything that the mainstream consider negative should be deemed risky and vice versa.

NB: Yes I am a very young bitch.

Re:STR; You forget that the public had abandoned her because of the aggressively sexual Erotica era. So she knew the only way to get their forgiveness was mature ballads. Now if she instead pushed the sex agenda again, it might have been the end of her commercial viability. It was the smart move, not a risky one.

You're cute though ;-)

GMAYL is very Madonna-centric, and a call-out to the wanna-be(s)- so, in that sense, it could be viewed as "risky" (as tracks so obviously about the act itself don't do all that well on occasion- sans someone like Eminem).

Musically, though, no, not at all. It's fun, singalong pop.

But, back to the topic at hand... :) JML was a risk on multiple levels. But, she could afford to have been risky at that time.

Re:STR; You forget that the public had abandoned her because of the aggressively sexual Erotica era. So she knew the only way to get their forgiveness was mature ballads. Now if she instead pushed the sex agenda again, it might have been the end of her commercial viability. It was the smart move, not a risky one.

You're cute though ;-)

Additionally, she'd already largely moved on from the sexually provocative/controversial image starting with "Rain." That was followed by "I'll Remember," "Secret," and "Take a Bow." "Human Nature" and "Bedtime Story" didn't have much impact. So STR was totally on trend and very, very safe at the time. Risky would have been to continue down the BS/HN route.

What's musically risky about Give Me All Your Love? It sounds like the airless pop of Katy Perry.

Airless pop, but not very modern, I mean is K.Perry doing 60's surf guitar music?

Guest SecretGarden

Definitely one of her best songs; sophisticated, daring, sexual and empowering. It exemplifies what. and who, Madonna is. The perfect precursor to Erotica.

The video was a crucial event in my teenage days, i was becoming sexually active, and it made it all easier to accept and understand, it was ok, it was on tv.. that huge strange sexual desire overcoming me was just another part of the human expirience..

Madonna was a very healthy role model as I grew up and became a man..

To be honest, I'm not so keen into this and Rescue Me in TIC. It's like, I feel, a drastic change in sound after the previous tracks. I get its impact though but I didn't live this single so I really cannot relate. Sonically, I need to be in the mood to like this and even the MDNA reincarnation bored me. The Beast Within though, thaat was lovely.

w h a t

We need to fix this. That video deserves to be seen by everyone.

we should talk to one of the gaga monsters and ask them about their sistem to have top tens without airplay or sales!! let´s make Oh father a top ten!

we should talk to one of the gaga monsters and ask them about their sistem to have top tens without airplay or sales!! let´s make Oh father a top ten!

YAAASSSSSSSSS

The funny thing is that it probably would be able to chart if it got enough views.

OR

we could just constantly tweet about it so it can chart on the new Billboard/Twitter real time chart

M didn't even have her own Vevo channel until she went over to Universal for distribution.

Warner and YouTube have had a lot of bad blood over the years, so it took some time for Warner artists to have their videos on YouTube in any official capacity, which put those videos at a disadvantage when compared to the other record companies who jumped on the YouTube bandwagon from the start.