What do we think of Justify My Love?

Bill

Justify my love was so different and sensual, especially for the time it was released. Others have tried to create the same style since but nothing comes even close. Also, this is how you make a video to compliment a song. Justify my love made people want to make love on a train - cross country. That line seemed so daring and exciting at the time and put a different spin on travelling to the country by train. :dramatic:

oh yes, I remember being at the english institute by the time the song and video dropped, and at class everyone would be talking about it, and the lyrics were so daring for a lot of people, I remember with the teacher we analyzed the lyrics and people would go dropping their jaws at lyrics such as " make love in a train...you put this on me..poor's the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another..etc"...and their thoughts on the video...lol...some didn't even want to talk about it...lol..and then the EROTICA-SEX era came!...lol...it was fascinating to witness all of this.

Justify My love is Madonna at the absolute top of her game

- Incredible song so sonically different than anything out at the time and to me the sexist song of all time

- awesome landmark video

- great visuals on the packaging on the single release

- mind blowing remixes - The Beast Within is just fucking genius

- masterful business acumen to release the video for sale after it was banned

- incredible performance of the song on her next tour (girlie show)

She has never been better

I always love this song! Its a much warmer sister of erotica (love them both) the music video enhances the experience when listening to the song. The video is one of my all time fave! Very surreal and im a big fan of classic italian movies and The Night Porter which the video was inspired of!

The controversy surrounding this era is awesome! Her nightline interview was great! The news channels was all over this issue. Everyone was talking about the video! How i wish i experience the whole era. I just became a fan only on september of 1991. :(

The song is AMAZING with or without the video. The video is just the icing on the cake! Lenny's vocals add a LOT to the song. I love everything about Justify my Love: the remixes, the video, the song, the live performance, the interlude, EVERYTHING!!! :D

Loved how she reused some of the lyrics, worded differently, on "I'd rather be your lover"...I didn't notice it untill years later.

I don't want to be your mother

I don't want to be your sister either

I just want to be your lover

I could be your sister, I could be your mother

We could be friends, I'd even be your brother

But I'd rather be your lover

Without the controversial video, would it have been a hit, let alone #1?? I don't think I've ever heard it on the radio.

To answer your question, I don't remember hearing it on the radio either. Then again, I was only 9 when the song was a hit. When I got "The Immaculate Collection" a few years later (1993) I remembered the song, so I must have heard it at some point. I will say, however, that I am surprised that the song did as well as it did on the radio (Hot 100 Airplay peak of No. 2) considering that the song sounds like nothing else on the radio at that time (which may be, of course, why it did so well in the first place). I wouldn't have considered it a radio friendly song for that time. Then again, I guess that radio couldn't deny airplay for an artist at the top of her game.

This song will always be special to me because it's the song that turned me into a real fan! It's because of this song I got IC and after listening to IC I realized I knew and loved A LOT of songs by this Madonna chick. Then I watched IC VHS and it was a done deal. I've been hooked ever since. I was glued to the TV watching every news story about the video but sadly, I never actually got to see the full video until 1993. I always tried to sneak it in the pile of videos my Mom and I would rent at the video store but she always caught it.....lol. Madonna was so famous at this time she seemed almost unreal to me. I felt "naughty" for liking her around this time too....lol, she was on everyone's lips for better or worse.

Nothing like it before or since nor will there ever be.

When I first heard it back in 1990 on the radio I was gobsmacked. It was unlike any record id ever heard before and was a huge risk.

As iconic as the video is, I think it trivialised the song in the eyes of the public.

I wish m took risks like she did back in the day.

Madonna does take risks. Today, female sexuality in mainstream artists isn't taking a risk and that is BECAUSE of Madonna. Madonna is constantly pushing the envelope and trailblazing. If she were to keep doing the same thing over and over she would be doing the opposite. I'm glad that Madonna has grown and changed. Otherwise what would be the point of all of the amazing lessons she taught and all the things she learned? :madonna2: Queen of everything.

STILL sounds incredible and unlike anything else. not dated at all. and the video, beyond iconic. its moments like JML that set her apart from everybody else in the industry.

tumblr_m27gzb0M0i1r0jd3uo1_500.gif

The video is in a class of its own. Untouchable. No other artist that ever lived or ever will live will create a better visual for a song.

Madonna does take risks. Today, female sexuality in mainstream artists isn't taking a risk and that is BECAUSE of Madonna. Madonna is constantly pushing the envelope and trailblazing. If she were to keep doing the same thing over and over she would be doing the opposite. I'm glad that Madonna has grown and changed. Otherwise what would be the point of all of the amazing lessons she taught and all the things she learned? :madonna2: Queen of everything.

How does she take risks now? She's played it safe since 2004. Musically especially.

Yes todays pop sluts owe it to M, I agree of course. But M's message has been trivialised/diluted such that female singers think that stripping off is daring and a statement whereas the public see it as conformist eye rolling sluttishness which does anything but empower women. Similarly, GaGa's 'reinventions' just totally miss the point (she doesn't even have a point) and Born This Way completely misinterpreted Madonna's hugely important message (Express Yourself).

M needs to wake up from her 10 year slumber and be real and fearless again.

I heard this song on the radio a lot and I was only 8 years old at the time!

I remember thinking it was "naughty" for me to like Madonna because of the furor surrounding the video.

This one station my mom listened to would always play the song every morning without fail on the ride to school and the 2 male morning DJs would always joke about what a sexual freak Madonna must be before or after playing the song.

I had just become a Madonna fan during the summer of 1990 and had begun collecting everything Madonna related I could find, my Grandmom, of all people, had just started subscribing to a new magazine called Entertainment Weekly, she called my up and told me stop over her house one Saturday afternoon, she told me she had a "surprise" for me.

When I got there she gave me the brand new issue of EW with Madonna on the cover with the headlne 2HOT4MTV and a great still from the video

I still have that issue!

RIP Grandma

Guest bluejean

How does she take risks now? She's played it safe since 2004.

M needs to wake up from her 10 year slumber and be real and fearless again.

Wow. You have a very short memory.

Obviously you've forgotten 2012. Gang Bang the song. The deliberate nip slips. The Gang Bang performance. Fighting ageism. Advocating Gay Rights where she was threatened arrest. Speaking out for Pussy Riot. Speaking out against Putin. Speaking out against Lady Gaga. The whole entire Secret Project short film.

Oh and the post 2004 we've also had Confessions crucifixion, 2 highly critisised adoptions, fucking 20 something year olds, constant fighting ageism.... I feel like there's plenty more. She's done nothing but take risks imo. Infact I would say she's taken more risks post 2004 then she did between 1994-2004.

Wow. You have a very short memory.

Obviously you've forgotten 2012. Gang Bang the song. The deliberate nip slips. The Gang Bang performance. Fighting ageism. Advocating Gay Rights where she was threatened arrest. Speaking out for Pussy Riot. Speaking out against Putin. Speaking out against Lady Gaga. The whole entire Secret Project short film.

Oh and the post 2004 we've also had Confessions crucifixion, 2 highly critisised adoptions, fucking 20 something year olds, constant fighting ageism.... I feel like there's plenty more. She's done nothing but take risks imo. Infact I would say she's taken more risks post 2004 then she did between 1994-2004.

You answered the question before me but what these people don't get is that taking risks doesn't mean repeating the same thing over and over. Madonna DOES WHAT SHE WANTS. I think it just so happens is that a lot of the things she wants appear CONTROVERSIAL because so many people have such a small mind. Get a life people!