What do we think of Justify My Love?

Bill

Without the controversial video, would it have been a hit, let alone #1?? I don't think I've ever heard it on the radio. And honestly, apart from some drastically reworked live versions and remixes, I'm not too fond of it. :ohmy:

Whaddya think?

Justify+My+Love+(Maxi-Single).jpg

As a song, I think it's REALLY fucking good, both lyrically poetic & still musically interesting. Her voice is so sultry over that minimal (almost eerie) beat. Madonna has had more than a few strokes of genius in her career but JML is a real standout moment IMO. I WISH I could time travel and experience it first hand when it debuted.

And Lenny Kravitz's moaning in the background makes it that much better for me :wow:

It's a great song but let's be real. It's all about that Girlie Show performance.

g64.jpg

Especially at 5:50.

5:50 is one of the greatest moments in the history of the world.

Even as a backdrop video, JML was such a nice surprise at MDNAT, even more when we got a whole new video out of it... Love it!

THIS!!! YAAAASSSSSSSSS!!

It's one of the greatest packages ever. The song + the video + the single sleeve + the video single release + the remixes + the beast within = :wow::dramatic: I mean like, no one else could pull this off, and do it in such great quality and style.

It's one of the greatest packages ever. The song + the video + the single sleeve + the video single release + the remixes + the beast within = :wow::dramatic: I mean like, no one else could pull this off, and do it in such great quality and style.

I endorse this message.

If you don't like Justify My Love please vacate the site immediately. Madonna Nation doesn't need flop fans who don't appreciation landmark masterpieces in Madonna's career as an artist pushing provocateur.

If you don't like Justify My Love please vacate the site immediately. Madonna Nation doesn't need flop fans who don't appreciation landmark masterpieces in Madonna's career as an artist pushing provocateur.

:ohmy:

Without the controversial video, would it have been a hit, let alone #1?? I don't think I've ever heard it on the radio. And honestly, apart from some drastically reworked live versions and remixes, I'm not too fond of it. :ohmy:

Whaddya think?

Justify+My+Love+(Maxi-Single).jpg

you should be sodomized for that statement

+1

As a song, I think it's REALLY fucking good, both lyrically poetic & still musically interesting. Her voice is so sultry over that minimal (almost eerie) beat. Madonna has had more than a few strokes of genius in her career but JML is a real standout moment IMO. I WISH I could time travel and experience it first hand when it debuted.

And Lenny Kravitz's moaning in the background makes it that much better for me :wow:

this...

...and this

even if at the time, i have to admit, for me it was all about the video....the spng just didn't click with me....maybe because it was so unconventional...but since then it grew more and more....!!!!

hands down to this masterpiece...

The JML maxi-single is one of the big highlights in her catalog, IMO.

The fact that this single hit #1 in the US was a testament to how popular and on fire her career was at the time. As was mentioned here before, her popularity by 1990 was unlike anything we'd ever seen from a female pop star before (or after really). It was a real golden age in her career where both commercial and artistic success collided.

The video controversy helped yes, but the fact she had a #1 hit where she was moaning and talking for most of the song (meaning it was never going to be the typical radio friendly fodder) was simply because the song was by MADONNA AT HER PEAK.

The JML maxi-single is one of the big highlights in her catalog, IMO.

The fact that this single hit #1 in the US was a testament to how popular and on fire her career was at the time. As was mentioned here before, her popularity by 1990 was unlike anything we'd ever seen from a female pop star before (or after really). It was a real golden age in her career where both commercial and artistic success collided.

The video controversy helped yes, but the fact she had a #1 hit where she was moaning and talking for most of the song (meaning it was never going to be the typical radio friendly fodder) was simply because the song was by MADONNA AT HER PEAK.

That's kind of what I was getting at. I really shouldn't have suggested I don't like the song... because I do. It's just surprising that it went to #1 because it's clearly not a conventional pop song. Its success was totally fueled by the controversy and her unparalleled popularity at the time.

Wasn't it the very first video single? That just goes to show you how brilliantly marketed she was back then. What a stroke of genius to release a VHS of the video as a "video single" when MTV refused to play it.