Too much technology on tours?

karbatal

I love how Madonna tries to give a brand new show each time. Some tours i like more than others, but all of them are incredible because she tries new things, new ways to express her music.

But...

My fav parts on those tours are when Madonna doesn't rely so much on technology. For example, in MDNA my fav parts are the LAV/Love Spent moments, and the I'm a Sinner/LAP sequences. She's there, simply there. I watched The Girlie Show the day before yesterday and was mesmerized.

I think that when there were no backscreens, artist had to give a different choreography, performances where different because they had to express in a bigger way themselves. Now, they are just a part of the big picture. Sometimes it's really good, but other times, i don't like it that much.

Totally agree. Without all the screens and other technology, Madonna would be forced to do something really original and fresh and creative in order to make the show spectacular. The whole 4 sections / video interlude / bigger and bigger screens / ethnic music / "political" video formula is getting tired now so I think Madonna will innovate next time. She set the template for a lot of lesser artists' tours in recent years so you'd think she'd want to move on from that.

I disagree with Nimos, as much as I would love 2 c a type of show as u described. MDNA imo, raised the bar once again.

I wouldn't put it in the same category as S&S or CT as far as use of technology is concerned. Before that tour

started I thought I was sorta over it...but MDNA combined the best of all worlds...the theatricality, the soul & the urgency...

it was all there.

Guest bluejean

Nope. The backdrops and everything is a huge part of what made MDNA incredible. A show like The Girlie Show, whilst incredible in its day and great to look back on as fans as a great piece of work would seem lacking in this day and age.

I know, and it would be really bare if suddenly there were no backdrops. But somehow parts of shows nowadays are just an explosion of images. I feel that we have lost the real meaning of concerts: a gathering to listen to music.

Take Express Yourself, for example and compare the one in BAT or GS with EY in RIT or MDNA. Of course it's fun to watch EY in MDNA but it relies too much on backdrops. Then GMAYL comes, and although there's backdrops too, Madonna comes with full energy. That's what I mean.

i'm not tired at all of all the creativity and spectacle of mdna tour....but i'd be more than happy to see a madonna show with her, the band and little else.... (i know she won't do it and she will surprise me anyway)

I disagree with Nimos, as much as I would love 2 c a type of show as u described. MDNA imo, raised the bar once again.

I wouldn't put it in the same category as S&S or CT as far as use of technology is concerned. Before that tour

started I thought I was sorta over it...but MDNA combined the best of all worlds...the theatricality, the soul & the urgency...

it was all there.

Yes. :clap:

I sort of agree with the OP here, but on the other hand, I do think Madonna uses screens very effectively. I really liked how on MDNA she used a sort of theatre-style motel room for Gang Bang, which is the type of staging I've not seen before. Perhaps she could go more in this direction for future tours.....?

Well I guess she could up her game by performing with a fucking water fountain and showing some PASSION. Seriously are you actually fucking kidding me? Did you even see MDNA live? You are the biggest flop fan in existence and the majority of your concealed shade at Madonna is just SICKENING. Not to mention all the naive comments you make which place rumour as fact.

MDNA was the greatest use of technology in choreography and live performance I have ever seen. There is NO BETTER. Seriously. Why are people like you hanging around MADONNANATION to make complaints about Madonna? Pathetic.

I know, and it would be really bare if suddenly there were no backdrops. But somehow parts of shows nowadays are just an explosion of images. I feel that we have lost the real meaning of concerts: a gathering to listen to music.

Take Express Yourself, for example and compare the one in BAT or GS with EY in RIT or MDNA. Of course it's fun to watch EY in MDNA but it relies too much on backdrops. Then GMAYL comes, and although there's backdrops too, Madonna comes with full energy. That's what I mean.

Is a giant recreation of an old Hollywood soundstage not considered as a backdrop to you? Or did you forget that EY BAT looks like Metropolis came to life? My God. Here, I'll give you a chance to refresh your memory. Grandma.

I sort of agree with the OP here, but on the other hand, I do think Madonna uses screens very effectively. I really liked how on MDNA she used a sort of theatre-style motel room for Gang Bang, which is the type of staging I've not seen before. Perhaps she could go more in this direction for future tours.....?

Yes, Gang Bang was FLAWLESS!!

Yes, Gang Bang was FLAWLESS!!

It had a mini stage set descending in. It had simulations of gun shots and blood splatters. It had TONS of fucking light technology. Seriously you are either missing a few brain function or you are taking the piss. What is going on?

it was all there.

THIS!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Acko and bluejean said everything I wanted to say.

MDNA did up the ante. I see karby's point, but a BA, GS type stage in 2014 would seem a bit amateur I'm afraid. Maybe we will get some more sets like the Gang Bang set, but you can bet the big screens are still gonna be there. I think that's pretty much a fixture until the next big revolution comes along!

I enjoyed the Girlie Show and Blonde Ambition. But those kind of concerts had their time. I like the infusion with technology.

And is it just me but for me the backdrop of the MDNA tour didn't distract me or I felt they were not too much at all. I felt that Confessions relied more on the screens than MDNA.

Screens simply are the new "sets". BA, GS, DWT...those were of the times when screen technology had not gotten very far, and of course, Madonna putting on her theatrical shows was using a lot of physical stage sets, props, and backdrop sheets, naturally.

When screen technology came around, esp. with RIT, it simply became the new way to do sets. And, of course, the possibilities are now endless. They can be anything.... and for the most part, Madonna and her team have been pretty good at making sure they enhance the physical performance, not overtake it.

MDNA was really the perfect combination of her classic 80/90s style and her post 2000s style, combined with the best use of new technology.

And look at how she uses screens compared to her industry peers...one, most of the pop bitches today are doing shows like M's because she set the new standard (again)...and two, while other artists simply show some screensaver-like graphics or a simple projection of what's going on the stage, Madonna creates new, original content (better than her own music videos, at times) to be an interplay between herself, the dancers, the choreography, and the messages she wants to convey. And with how much screens are now the standard, she still is using them in a way very few of her peers do.

If you want less screens, enjoy the promo tours.

it was all there.

I'd love a new Girlie Show -- something simpler, with a stronger focus on Madonna, her dancers, her BAND, and her songs. (Seriously, the bands she's assembled for these past few tours have been utter shit. Confessions worst of all.)

MDNA did up the ante. I see karby's point, but a BA, GS type stage in 2014 would seem a bit amateur I'm afraid.

I don't think so. They're timeless.

With all the custom shit she gets made for each tour I don't think we'll ever see a Madonna tour without technology.

To me MDNA was perfect, being a good mix between screens and sets, like Gang Bang. As long as she keeps making her backdrops with moment factory I have no problem what so ever.

I think Madonna needs to take technology back at least a few decades and do something like this. Focus on the performance and not rely on props, costumes etcetera in order to tell a story. Kylie performs without unnecessary fuss! :inlove:

kylie_fountain.jpg

I love how Madonna tries to give a brand new show each time. Some tours i like more than others, but all of them are incredible because she tries new things, new ways to express her music.

But...

My fav parts on those tours are when Madonna doesn't rely so much on technology. For example, in MDNA my fav parts are the LAV/Love Spent moments, and the I'm a Sinner/LAP sequences. She's there, simply there. I watched The Girlie Show the day before yesterday and was mesmerized.

I think that when there were no backscreens, artist had to give a different choreography, performances where different because they had to express in a bigger way themselves. Now, they are just a part of the big picture. Sometimes it's really good, but other times, i don't like it that much.

You just now realized this? Ive been onto this ever since DWT days..

She needs a real band and real set.