Why is RIT her worst tour?

Crystal Coffin

As for not releasing it on DVD because some here seem to think she didn't like her own show...that doesn't really make sense...considering she did finally release another full-length tour documentary based around this show...

And has been discussed here in many threads, there were plans for a full show broadcast and DVD that were scrapped for other technical reasons supposedly due to the filming. Nowhere was any impression given that she didn't want to release it because she didn't like her own show. And considering there is usually some form of filmed release for all her tours, before and after, this most likely would have followed the same pattern. But hey, we got the docu instead.

Guest Xanthium

You're kidding right? :gent:

tumblr_m6mrqmsQfR1r1d211o1_250.gif

tumblr_m5udj4Y56q1rt4hkpo1_500.gif

la01_vogue.jpg

madonna-re-invention-tour-on-dvd-29d59.j

Notice how only the first segment is usually referenced in imagery. The opening set was brilliant and iconic. The rest just fades into the background.

What was avant-garde about DWT? The rape Japanese cartoon or the violence in general? BA and GS had way more avant-garde moments than DWT. Anyway, RIT had less conviction than all her previous tours. Worst? It's debatable. DWT was the most boring but I guess when compared to all of her other tours RIT is probably the weakest.

Have a little hard time with this topic. I respect every fan various viewpoints on the tour, but I think the videos on you tube don't provide justice to how great the show was live in the flesh!

I wonder if the tour might have received better praise with a very good DVD at the time

I love this tour. The first segment was great but I hated that Vogue. I prefer the S&S and MDNA versions of Vogue. It didn't excite me at all. I love the military segment because I love American Life so much and I thought that EY was cute in that form. The cabaret act, I would remove Holiday and Die Another Day. Hanky Panky and Deeper & Deeper were great. The acoustic segment is the best. I love this version of LAP and M&F.

I would agree the costume for the last segment was hideous. But the songs were awesome. She sang Crazy For You! How could it be terrible? And that Holiday closer was bang. When it ended, I was like "What? More!"

What I love the best about this tour is the focus on her vocals more than the props or theatrics. We'll never get this kind of tour again as she's now obsessed with big screens. There's nothing wrong with that. I feel this was a mixture of her old tours and new tours. And yes, Mihran is so hot. :inlove:

Guest Xanthium

What was avant-garde about DWT? The rape Japanese cartoon or the violence in general? BA and GS had way more avant-garde moments than DWT. Anyway, RIT had less conviction than all her previous tours. Worst? It's debatable. DWT was the most boring but I guess when compared to all of her other tours RIT is probably the weakest.

Impressive Instant and the entire 2nd segment of DWT was avant-garde. BA wasn't avant-garde. It was more theatre. GS wasn't avant-garde either. It was disco, cabaret and Studio 54.

Who said it was avant-garde?

DWT is a fantastique fusion of theater and rock. It was fluid, and a journey from beginning to end. And the staging, lighting, visuals, props, and music all blended together to create the most perfect show on earth.

Re-watch and re-evaluate. One day, you will understand.

Now where are my Nina gifs? You have been lacking in that department!

Who said it was avant-garde?

DWT is a fantastique fusion of theater and rock. It was fluid, and a journey from beginning to end. And the staging, lighting, visuals, props, and music all blended together to create the most perfect show on earth.

Re-watch and re-evaluate. One day, you will understand.

Now where are my Nina gifs? You have been lacking in that department!

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the theater and punk posturing fusion. I just don't agree with the avant-garde claims. Avant-garde is pushing boundaries, being innovative. BA not only was avant-garde with the cone-bra, LAV and LAP pushed boundaries that no one dared before. GS was more explicit even if less innovative. DWT was more theatrical but more withing the boundaries of a rock show. Madonna giving the finger to the crowd, singing about eating her daddy and shooting a dancer though makes for great entertainment is not something that people can look back and say "that was when the game changed when it comes to live performances" which is what BA did and to some extent GS did. MDNA is what DWT sort of tried to be. I believe MDNA will be regarded as a game changer just as much as BA already is.

Anyway, everyone can go back to judging RIT.

tumblr_mlumhhlBpL1qhjdvzo2_250.gif

It's unfortunate that excellent remix of Hollywood was just used as an interlude...it actually had the potential to give a GREAT performance and save this tour from blandness :zombie:

I was sooooooo disappointed she didn't do Hollywood live! Was looking forward to that! Any other song could have been an interlude! :(

What are we defining as "avant-garde" though...?

Certainly compared to all her peers, every Madonna tour since BA has been pushing the boundaries of theatrics, visual conception, musical reinvention, etc...

Even when it comes to the use of screens as someone mentioned before... I think the use of screens has gotten bigger simply because the technology has moved that much more forward in such a short amount of time. When these tours in the early 2000s - like DWT, RIT and CT - were out, I didn't see people using screens, or the technology, in the way Madonna was (I mean, how many were conceiving and executing things like Future Lovers/I Feel Love, or The Beast Within)...certainly as her peers poorly attempt to do now. Madonna really set the precedent for how digital media would completely reinvent the stage 'set' for pop/rock concerts.

Is it a joke?

Madonna's vocals on this tour alone are enough reason to put it in the top 3 M tours of all time. Add to that the amazing first segment, the beautiful AL songs, the reinvented hits... RIT is awesome!

With the exception of the opening section, the costumes are kinda boring on this tour. I love Stuart, but the arrangement of some of these songs is just flat. What they did to Die Another Day is just criminal! The album version has so much bass and depth to it, yet the live arrangement just sounds so flat and hollow. I'm not one of those who feels every concert has to have a theme or tell a story, but everything seems very thrown together with this show. Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of this show, but a lot of the props and song placements just seem so random. Going back to DAD for a moment, I always thought it seemed out of place in that section of the show, always thought it should've been in the "military" section. This was also during the time where she was somewhat more reserved on stage (DWT-CT). She didn't go balls to the wall, pre-DWT style until S&S and of course REALLY turned it up with MDNA.

On the plus side, her voice was fantastic, she looks fucking gorgeous. I don't think her body looked this great on a tour again until MDNA. I did have a blast at this show and after DWT (which I loved) it was a breath of fresh air to see this side of her and hear some of the 80's hits. I NEVER thought I'd get to see her perform BU and to this day I adore that performance!! I found I appreciated the AL album more after seeing this show live. She breathed new life into a lot of songs that I honestly felt were flat on the album.

says who? DWT is the worst tour IMO

DW Tour Flying segment alone shits all over the whole of RIT !

Is it a joke?

Madonna's vocals on this tour alone are enough reason to put it in the top 3 M tours of all time. Add to that the amazing first segment, the beautiful AL songs, the reinvented hits... RIT is awesome!

Marry me? :smooch: