Nunca sabes lo que va a decir cuando empieza a sonreir

XXL

i find the Spanish lyrics incredibly bad. That line in fact doesn't fit in the melody.

O

But i LOVE the performance though

That is true.

But Madonna singing in spanish is always welcome

The chorus in Spanish is grammatically wrong technically but I see why it was translated that way. In my mind, (I guess with English in mind) it sounds right...

Lo que siente la mujer

What the woman feels

It should've been

Lo que sienten las mujeres

What the women feel

The literal translation to the song would've been

Lo que siente para la niña

Which would make no sense.

My favorite from performance from the Drowned Wonderful Tour. :bow: When my parents watched this live on HBO they were totally wowed especially by this and La Isla Bonita, and they finally understood why their son is a fanatic. My mother was tearing up watching this amazed by her singing and artistry. I was having a very rough time that year with my parents after coming out and other crap I was dealing with at the time. This viewing brought us closer together.

Karbatal that translation was not intended to be literal. In fact more of a translation it's an adaptation, different thing. There's nothing wrong when you look at the Spanish letras per se. They're not meant to be put next to the English lyrics

Honestly I thought this arrangement is even better than the actual studio recording. I love that this is the second song that she fully sang in Spanish after Veràs. I love her singing it this way and in general I simply adore her DWT singing voice, mighty and clear. Drowned World and You'll See on DWT are other outstanding examples of that

And I love the little dance routine of course :wow: and the dykish girls :dramatic:

My favorite from performance from the Drowned Wonderful Tour. :bow: When my parents watched this live on HBO they were totally wowed especially by this and La Isla Bonita, and they finally understood why their son is a fanatic. My mother was tearing up watching this amazed by her singing and artistry. I was having a very rough time that year with my parents after coming out and other crap I was dealing with at the time. This viewing brought us closer together.

Such a wonderful story

My parents both think she's amazing

My father once said he saw a picture of hers in a paper and didn't think she was attractive

I played the CT dvd to him and he said she looked sensational

Plus as I said before he plays GHV2 frequently now as he loves ROL and EVITA and Erotica stuff

Karbatal that translation was not intended to be literal. In fact more of a translation it's an adaptation, different thing. There's nothing wrong when you look at the Spanish letras per se. They're not meant to be put next to the English lyrics

Honestly I thought this arrangement is even better than the actual studio recording. I love that this is the second song that she fully sang in Spanish after Veràs. I love her singing it this way and in general I simply adore her DWT singing voice, mighty and clear. Drowned World and You'll See on DWT are other outstanding examples of that

And I love the little dance routine of course :wow: and the dykish girls :dramatic:

Oh, i know it. And i don't want literal translations. What i mean is that it's very bad written even grammatically. And the lenguage doesn't flow. It seems a translation from some Cuban who's been living in Miami for 30 years,

Such a wonderful story

My parents both think she's amazing

My father once said he saw a picture of hers in a paper and didn't think she was attractive

I played the CT dvd to him and he said she looked sensational

Plus as I said before he plays GHV2 frequently now as he loves ROL and EVITA and Erotica stuff

:inlove:

Oh, i know it. And i don't want literal translations. What i mean is that it's very bad written even grammatically. And the lenguage doesn't flow. It seems a translation from some Cuban who's been living in Miami for 30 years,

In what way? I'd be interested in seeing how it should be written. [/grammar nerd]

I would've actually gone with, "lo que siente una mujer." Which would've fit the melody.

No it doesn't because LA has one syllable and UNA has two so they'd have to add another note. People say that, again, because they get misled by the English text expecting the equivalent of What It Feels Like for A (UNA) rather than the definite article (LA) they went for in the Spanish version

Try singing LO QUE SIENTE UNA MUJER and you'll notice it doesn't fit the timing

Lo Que Siente La Mujer instead does because LA is a slightly shorter word

Isn't Who's That Girl slightly different too? She she sings 'Quien es esta nina' (sorry no accents) which is 'Who is this girl' instead of 'esa nina', 'that girl'. Veras has some different lyrics too from what I remember.

Translation fall into semantic and communicative so either trying to be faithful to the original text or trying to convey the meaning but using different phrases in the translation.

No it doesn't because LA has one syllable and UNA has two so they'd have to add another note. People say that, again, because they get misled by the English text expecting the equivalent of What It Feels Like for A (UNA) rather than the definite article (LA) they went for in the Spanish version

Try singing LO QUE SIENTE UNA MUJER and you'll notice it doesn't fit the timing

Lo Que Siente La Mujer instead does because LA is a slightly shorter word

I agree that "lo que siente una mujer" fits better and flows the same way, dont forget about the diptongue ( it would be sung: sienteu-na-mujer) Before the song came out I was sure they made a mistake with "la", but now I got used to it and sounds correct to me :-)

I agree that "lo que siente una mujer" fits better and flows the same way, dont forget about the diptongue ( it would be sung: sienteu-na-mujer) Before the song came out I was sure they made a mistake with "la", but now I got used to it and sounds correct to me :-)

eu is not a diptongue there

it's part of two different syllables and you need two different breath emissions to pronounce them

singing siente una makes it longer (albeit minimally) therefore altering the synchro with the notes timing

eu is not a diptongue there

it's part of two different syllables and you need two different breath emissions to pronounce them

singing siente una makes it longer (albeit minimally) therefore altering the synchro with the notes timing

The practical spanish doesn't necessarily follow those rules, either speaking or with songs (in music many singers make up hiatos and diptongues in order for the song to match the timing). Very typical example, when the lyric says: "Quiero una", very often they will pronounce it quickly, and it will sound more like "quier-una", of course it all depends of the timing, if they song requires extra time, they will stretch words in order to fit it in. That's not uncommon at all, watch it and you'll be surprised how many singers do this, or how people speak like this, and it's not considered slang, it's just we can speak fast, pretty sure that happens in english :) Cheers