Madonna Album Cover (Variations)- Notably "Bedtime Stories"

christopherm

I bought a copy of the like a prayer LP a few months in MINT condition, with the aids info and everything and it reeks of patchouli (a good reek), it was only £1 and i thought "thats in far too good condition to be an original" so I thought it must have been a re-issue with the incorrect price. It is actually an original, but that doesn't suprise me with how little effort goes into re-issuing Madonna's albums. Be cool if new ones did still smell, it kind of adds to feel of the album if that makes sense :lmao:

I have the original LAP cassette and it still smells. Actually, almost all of my tapes smell like patchouli years later after being kept in the same tape rack! Sadly, I didn't keep it in very good condition. Some of the pages have ripped apart (don't know why they were perforated like that, which lend itself to easily tearing), AND a friend borrowed the tape in high school and lost the actual cassette! I was pissed. So I only have the case and insert. I'm thinking about tossing it, to be honest. Unless someone wants it. I can mail it to you. I'm in the process of tossing (selling) many of my inessential Madonna items. Keeping all CDs and selling magazines and vinyl.

You can tell which ones were scented with patchouli based on the glossiness and thickness of the sleeve art.

Originals are thick and shiny (probably needs a rephrase)... later pressings are thin and do not smell of patchouli. The booklets are typically black and white print instead of full colour :(

We extensively covered Bedtime Stories mere days ago in this thread: [url=http://forums.madonnanation.com/index.php?showtopic=43644]httpEvery format, advert, poster, billboard, duratran, postcard, sheet music book and commercial during 1994 featured the album with Madonna's image appearing upright (as on the left).

The promo poster we had in stores at the time of release was this one:

Madonna+-+Bedtime+Stories+-+Album+Artwor

I've never liked the BS artwork. And seeing the two orientations of that photo makes me wonder why they used that shot at all for the album cover. Her entire face looks wrong on the upside one. When viewed as it was shot with her head down it makes sense but cropping it to a square makes it look crap. It's one big mess.

Love love love this thread. Sometimes is great to be this OLD hahaha, because you buy things cheap when they are released and now new fans struggle to find them. Like the BS or STR vinyls, for example!

It always amazed me how in the 80s they released so many different single covers. For example Like a Virgin (on the bed, or dressed in green)... I miss those days when physical releases were so important; the physical releases for MDNA have been scarce for the first time and i guess that for the next album they will be even more scarce :(

Love love love this thread. Sometimes is great to be this OLD hahaha, because you buy things cheap when they are released and now new fans struggle to find them. Like the BS or STR vinyls, for example!

It always amazed me how in the 80s they released so many different single covers. For example Like a Virgin (on the bed, or dressed in green)... I miss those days when physical releases were so important; the physical releases for MDNA have been scarce for the first time and i guess that for the next album they will be even more scarce :(

That's how I got into collecting M. I'd go into the record shops and there'd be different covers in the racks from Japan, the US, Germany etc for the singles from the first album and LAV. Everything standardised when True Blue came out but occasionally some country would put out something slightly different.

Mexican Secret Picture Disc Bootleg

260582522155.jpg

390453b.jpg

Both of these would have been nicer album covers.

I wish I could find the LAP 1st issue CD with the scent. Maybe if I do enough looking on Music Stack or Discogs I could find it. I too have the cassette with those stupid perforated inserts and the smell. As a former casual for years I thought that was just the natural smell of the card stock.

Was the Bettina Rheims shoot ever considered for the cover? Or was that later? I know M wanted the Paolo Roversi photos but Warner said no.

That was shot sometime after the albums release

This could've worked as the album cover, I think.

bb002.jpg

That's not even a good frame,

This on the other hand..

61SD3FABQWL._SY300_.jpg

I remember at the time it was considered very Courtney Love.

And no matter how the album image was cropped, nothing would have been better than what was use (not that i'm saying the actual cover is the best thing ever)

9b48.png

It's interesting to see how much the cropped and rotated the image for the final design

32ub.png

I think to improve the cover they could have played around with the placement of the text. I know in the revised cover, the title gets lost in the aqua bed spread, they could have just switched the pink text color from Madonna and vice versa.

ug0c.png

Or they could have switched 'MADONNA' with 'BEDTIME STORIES' or just keep them all at the top

9t34.pngnzvv.png

There's not many other photos from the shoot that could have worked as a cover, but I think these could be acceptable:

4bfa.png72z9.png7l2.pngi883.png

Personally, as much as I love the Demachalier 1960's NYC apartment shoot, a lot of the images weren't really album cover material.

They should have just stuck with the Roversi shoot.

q00e.png

cs72.png

Guest bluejean

There's not many other photos from the shoot that could have worked as a cover, but I think these could be acceptable:

4bfa.png72z9.png7l2.pngi883.png

Personally, as much as I love the Demachalier 1960's NYC apartment shoot, a lot of the images weren't really album cover material.

They should have just stuck with the Roversi shoot.

q00e.png

cs72.png

None of these really work for me

Guest bluejean

On a cassette maybe :chuckle: But it would b completely wrong 4 a square CD case.

Hmm I see what you mean now that Whoopie posted an example