Madonna Album Cover (Variations)- Notably "Bedtime Stories"

christopherm

Here you go. It's been discussed before and the album cover has been around on the internet for several years.

This is supposedly the original design for 'Lucky Star' the album:

luckystar_madonna_first_album_draft_edo.jpg

On the back cover of some of the European pressings of Burning Up, the album is also referred to as 'Lucky Star' with another picture used.

burning_up_45_madonna_first_album_lucky_star.jpg

Burning Up was released in March and the album was released in July 83 so presumably during that time, Madonna decided on the cover and title change. However, early pressings of the album in Zimbabwe and South Africa were released and still have the record label as Lucky Star but are VERY rare. The album cover is the standard Madonna version though.

Thanks jonski43 for that very detailed answer!

So how does the cover of the early African pressings look like? It's just like the released black-white cover, but with "Lucky Star" replacing her name on both sides? That's kinda weird to imagine.

Thanks jonski43 for that very detailed answer!

So how does the cover of the early African pressings look like? It's just like the released black-white cover, but with "Lucky Star" replacing her name on both sides? That's kinda weird to imagine.

Isn't it the same MADONNA|MADONNA cover but the actual label on the record says Lucky Sar

Guest bluejean

Oh and the Bedtime Stories cover is quite shit no matter what way you hold it up. I think a less cropped version of that would have worked better. Or alternatively just much better image/concept.

Compare it to the Ray of Light cover which is just WOW

BS is lovely, like COAD, it's one of those covers that can only be appreciated in printed form.

I wish I had it on vinyl

Isn't it the same MADONNA|MADONNA cover but the actual label on the record says Lucky Sar

Yes. The cover is the same as the rest of the world. It's the label on the vinyl record that says 'Lucky Star'. Also, it's a white coloured WEA label not the usual SIre label in yellow. Go to madonnarecords.com and look there for pictures. It won't let me post them. The album is listed under Madonna not LS though.

Ah, now I get it. So the cover's not different at all, there's just a label added.

There don't exist any pressings with that hideous "Lucky Star" cover though, right?

By the way, I am counting myself to the people who prefer the "wrong" BS cover, as that is how I first saw it and how I've always remembered it since then. I do realize the other, "correct" one looks much more natural because that's the way the picture was taken, so it doesn't look like her cheeks fall in the wrong direction and make her face look kinda weird. But still, I associate the other cover with the album.

Ah, now I get it. So the cover's not different at all, there's just a label added.

There don't exist any pressings with that hideous "Lucky Star" cover though, right?

By the way, I am counting myself to the people who prefer the "wrong" BS cover, as that is how I first saw it and how I've always remembered it since then. I do realize the other, "correct" one looks much more natural because that's the way the picture was taken, so it doesn't look like her cheeks fall in the wrong direction and make her face look kinda weird. But still, I associate the other cover with the album.

I've never seen or heard of one so I think it only got to the design stage given that another picture was used on the back of the Burning Up 7" as early as March. The name change though probably came much later or even last minute, hence some pressings going out. I wish it had been called "LS" though as I find eponymously titled albums lazy and uninspired.

I remember reading in 1992, that Madonna wanted a different image for the Erotica album cover, she wanted this one:

R-292250-1232472408.jpeg

But Warner Bros. apparently refused.... I don't know how true it is but remember reading that she comprimised by it going in the inlay for the album

I've never seen or heard of one so I think it only got to the design stage given that another picture was used on the back of the Burning Up 7" as early as March. The name change though probably came much later or even last minute, hence some pressings going out. I wish it had been called "LS" though as I find eponymously titled albums lazy and uninspired.

I find the title of the first album MADONNA just iconic.

These were the variations done by Jeri Heiden for the True Blue album:

jeri_452.jpg

Top right is good.

Omg the alternate true blue options are amazing!! The black and white one with the title done the side is amazing!!!!

As for the name Ultra Madonna - it weirds me out that it was going to be called something else than The immaculate Collection!!

Best thread ever!!!

I prefer the alternate cover to COADF. There was an image floating about prior to its release of just her face that was supposedly the cover ( was very blue and pink Photoshop colored- too lazy to search:) someone please post.

I always thought confessions was a cool album, but just a shit cover ( I even prefer the image with her kicking back with the disco ball)

I prefer the alternate cover to COADF. There was an image floating about prior to its release of just her face that was supposedly the cover ( was very blue and pink Photoshop colored- too lazy to search:) someone please post.

I always thought confessions was a cool album, but just a shit cover ( I even prefer the image with her kicking back with the disco ball)

it was the artwork she was carrying while being shot by paparazzi. a few years ago i recreated this artowrk bit by bit, with the exact same colors and all.Tthe result was almost identical but i don't have it anymore, maybe someone from fanzine saved it...

I remember reading in 1992, that Madonna wanted a different image for the Erotica album cover, she wanted this one:

R-292250-1232472408.jpeg

But Warner Bros. apparently refused.... I don't know how true it is but remember reading that she comprimised by it going in the inlay for the album

I like the Real deal more , it connects better with the album

This one is way too much sex book , people would be really embaressed to buy lol