Happy 5 years 4 Minutes

Guest gang bang

I just have to say that MDNA's high points may be higher than HC's, but HC is a far more cohesive work. I've always thought there is a lot more going on underneath the surface of HC's somewhat glossy, "sticky & sweet" exterior. HC is the Madonna/Guy divorce album.

I also like her defiance during this time, especially with her image. Everything about what she was doing seemed like a fuck you to her haters. The cheeks, her super hard, sinewy body on S&S tour, sexing it up again.

I'm I the only one that likes the cover :shy:

No...lol....I've always liked it...pink swirls and all.

I also like some of those outtakes of her in all white with the hoop earrings and 80's hair...looking like what her haters always accuse her of being anyways.....a washed up old skank.....LOVE IT! :)

I just have to say that MDNA's high points may be higher than HC's, but HC is a far more cohesive work. I've always thought there is a lot more going on underneath the surface of HC's somewhat glossy, "sticky & sweet" exterior. HC is the Madonna/Guy divorce album.

Umm, you had me agreeing until that last line. Have you heard MDNA? :1251:

I mean, I totally see the themes of a lost love in HC, but MDNA is the divorce album that Hard Candy couldn't yet be.

Umm, you had me agreeing until that last line. Have you heard MDNA? :1251:

I mean, I totally see the themes of a lost love in HC, but MDNA is the divorce album that Hard Candy couldn't yet be.

Yes, maybe divorce album Part 1? lol

Lost love is a good way to put it, there is definitely a sad undertone to this album. With the lyrics of Incredible, she even still seems to have a glimmer of hope things could work out. There are some sad undertones to MDNA as well, but it's clear she has moved on from that and more to the pissed off, "I hate you mother fucker and how do you like spending my money?" stage.

I think Divorce Album Part 1 and Divorce Album Part 2 are perfect nicknames for HC and MDNA, actually. I'd agree with the whole glimmer of hope thing (particularly with the misunderstood Incredible) on Hard Candy, and that is lost on MDNA, which is clearly the colder and darker of the two albums. It's still just as sad as Hard Candy though, with songs like I Fucked Up, Best Friend, and Falling Free being drenched in remorse.

I think both albums are really underrated though. Both albums are very reflective of where her mind was at at the time, in the same way Ray of Light and Erotica were, even if some fans weren't thrilled about the direction of the production/lyrics.

Guest I'llTeachYouHowTo...
I'm I the only one that likes the cover :shy:/>
No...lol....I've always liked it...pink swirls and all. I also like some of those outtakes of her in all white with the hoop earrings and 80's hair...looking like what her haters always accuse her of being anyways.....a washed up old skank.....LOVE IT! :)/>

count me in as well. its tacky and garish but i'll be damned if i don't love the whole "LOOK AT MY 50 YEAR OLD GASH" pose. having been too young to truly appreciate Ms skanky 90's period, i took it as a sign of things to come. :)

Yes, maybe divorce album Part 1? lol

Lost love is a good way to put it, there is definitely a sad undertone to this album. With the lyrics of Incredible, she even still seems to have a glimmer of hope things could work out. There are some sad undertones to MDNA as well, but it's clear she has moved on from that and more to the pissed off, "I hate you mother fucker and how do you like spending my money?" stage.

This being her mid life album I also think there's a lot of nostalgia towards her danceteria days before she was Famous. I don't know how to explain it, it's a vibe that I get from the album.

What about the millions of casual fans that bought LAV, TB and LAP who were in limbo during Erotica and BS only to be alienated for good once she went all "weird" and and started dabbling with "that techno shit" (hey, that's what I've heard all her post-1997 work referred to as many times). As successful as ROL, Music and COADF were, commercially, none of them QUITE matched her golden years with the LAV-TB-LAP trilogy. In an era when Diamond certs were handed out like air and water in the US, Music's comparatively "paltry" 3 million copies sold sort of pales in comparison so let's not act like she wasn't past her REAL heyday by this point anyways. Even critically, if you pit the 80's SINGLES vs late 90's-early 00's singles, the 80's singles will prevail every time. So.....why didn't she go with a more traditional pop sound like she embraced in the 80's vs the "future disco" and heavy electronica influenced sound she chose in the 90's/00's? Surely, the more experimental sound she was exploring at the time was NEVER going to connect on quite the same level as those more accessible 80's classics. Why didn't Madonna care to keep THOSE fans on board?

I think she does what she wants and if it connects great and if it doesn't oh well. That's not to say she won't throw out some sort of damage control for the release that follows a "flop" (see COADF) but I don't think it's the end all be all for her, especially these days when album sales at best are just "good". Madonna changes her sound and image far too much to keep the same group of fans happy over and over. The "fair weather" fans that you are referring to were never going to consistently be with her for the long haul. They come and go....always have. Funny thing is, with 4M/HC, I personally know of fans that only care for her 80's/early 90's work that FINALLY liked some new music from her. Don't you think after 10 years of doing "sophisticated dance" and electronica, it was ok for her to do a frivolous, somewhat "gimmicky" dance floor stomper?? It was time for her to change her sound. I would agree with you that some of the best music she's ever done was in the ROL-COADF period but I was thrilled to have her drastically change her sound. It seemed like ages since she had done such a jarring reinvention of her music.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

She can never seem to please everybody...and why should she?

I love that the last two albums are cheeky, fun, frivolous pop albums...much like the early days. Why can't she still do that? Because she's in her 50s?

And considering the state of most current pop, she still does it better than most everyone else.

Guest Rachelle of London

I love how most of us thought the lyrics were shallow, until the divorce appeared, and suddenly a lot of songs started to make sense.

Speaking about making sense. WHAT THE FUCK IS A YOU INTERVENTION?

I always thought the lyric was UN intervention

Guest Rachelle of London

actually, it makes more sense.you see? another thing that we lost in the 00´s:the lyrics booklet with the cd!

hahahah yes!

I'm the worst at lyrics though, dont take my word! I make them up I swear hahaha

I was reading the lyrics on Madonna.com..., I always thought Justin said, "give it up, give it up, don't be a pre-madonna." when it's actually, "don't be afraid, madonna."

I do! i want that mix. missing that one and the timbaland remix these days. anyone have these?

When you say 'French version', is she singing in French or what? Not heard of that?

I love how most of us thought the lyrics were shallow, until the divorce appeared, and suddenly a lot of songs started to make sense.

Speaking about making sense. WHAT THE FUCK IS A YOU INTERVENTION?

she means she is too caught up in "you" presumably a man, and she needs to break. Four Minutes is so fucking Esther.

she means she is too caught up in "you" presumably a man, and she needs to break. Four Minutes is so fucking Esther.

I've always thought this. Take away the Timbo/lake beats, slow it down a bit and throw in some acoustic guitars and you have a track that could've been on AL.

This thread is so absurd to me, I thought it was 'don't be a primadonna' and 'a new intervention'. :lmao:

5 years later and I never bothered to get the lyrics right. :lmao:

The lyrics are so nonsensical. It's so uninteresting, so unfunny, so... UNCOOL. :lol:

Watch your blasphemous posts... Madonna is watching...

tumblr_mkdzl6ckdR1qzy531o1_500.jpg