Happy 5 years 4 Minutes

Guest gang bang

I love how people that dislike that album are sure she didn't care about it. She was probably more involved in THAT album than on MDNA. And she's obsessed with it, since she performed AGAIN Candy Shop/Spanish Lesson/Give IT 2 Me and she used Hearbeat on her last tour.

Hard Candy is probably the album I'd play the most out of the 2000s. There are just more good pop songs on it. COADF, AL and Music are all too samey to listen to in one go.

But I've not really listened to an album in years. I just do compilations.

Guest Rachelle of London

Hard Candy is such a great album! I was on other fansites when it was released and omg the hatred for that album..I just couldn't get it! Fair enough thats not your style of music but musically its a great album

Guest Rachelle of London

omg that is my biggest criticism of HC! That album cover....its soooo cringeworthy! Madonna's pic herself is bad enough but the pink and white swirls :(

Yes the sleeve, the retarded special needs look on her face, the awful hair and make up, the back cover where she looks like she is sitting on a large dildo. And the swirls.

No

But that 'rock n roll' connection is partly what I'm talking about. HC fans speak contemptuously about 'Ray of Lighters' leaving because they were on the rag about her new direction, but that's only her hardcore fanbase they are talking about -a number in the hundreds probably. What about the millions of CASUAL 'ray of lighters' -the mainstream, mature, radio 2 listening, indie music liking, album buying young adults that came on board ROL and stayed for Music, probably were indifferent to AL, but returned for Madonna's sophisticated slant on disco with COAD? The people who wished they had been invited to the Music gig at Hammersmith Apollo, and rocked out to Ray of Light at Live8. The people that enabled Madonna to survive her 40's as Queen of the world, not just Queen of the gays. Giving those people that fricky fricky mess as lead single was like serving them a piece of shit on a plate.

What about the millions of casual fans that bought LAV, TB and LAP who were in limbo during Erotica and BS only to be alienated for good once she went all "weird" and and started dabbling with "that techno shit" (hey, that's what I've heard all her post-1997 work referred to as many times). As successful as ROL, Music and COADF were, commercially, none of them QUITE matched her golden years with the LAV-TB-LAP trilogy. In an era when Diamond certs were handed out like air and water in the US, Music's comparatively "paltry" 3 million copies sold sort of pales in comparison so let's not act like she wasn't past her REAL heyday by this point anyways. Even critically, if you pit the 80's SINGLES vs late 90's-early 00's singles, the 80's singles will prevail every time. So.....why didn't she go with a more traditional pop sound like she embraced in the 80's vs the "future disco" and heavy electronica influenced sound she chose in the 90's/00's? Surely, the more experimental sound she was exploring at the time was NEVER going to connect on quite the same level as those more accessible 80's classics. Why didn't Madonna care to keep THOSE fans on board?

I think she does what she wants and if it connects great and if it doesn't oh well. That's not to say she won't throw out some sort of damage control for the release that follows a "flop" (see COADF) but I don't think it's the end all be all for her, especially these days when album sales at best are just "good". Madonna changes her sound and image far too much to keep the same group of fans happy over and over. The "fair weather" fans that you are referring to were never going to consistently be with her for the long haul. They come and go....always have. Funny thing is, with 4M/HC, I personally know of fans that only care for her 80's/early 90's work that FINALLY liked some new music from her. Don't you think after 10 years of doing "sophisticated dance" and electronica, it was ok for her to do a frivolous, somewhat "gimmicky" dance floor stomper?? It was time for her to change her sound. I would agree with you that some of the best music she's ever done was in the ROL-COADF period but I was thrilled to have her drastically change her sound. It seemed like ages since she had done such a jarring reinvention of her music.

Guest Rachelle of London

What about the millions of casual fans that bought LAV, TB and LAP who were in limbo during Erotica and BS only to be alienated for good once she went all "weird" and and started dabbling with "that techno shit" (hey, that's what I've heard all her post-1997 work referred to as many times). As successful as ROL, Music and COADF were, commercially, none of them QUITE matched her golden years with the LAV-TB-LAP trilogy. In an era when Diamond certs were handed out like air and water in the US, Music's comparatively "paltry" 3 million copies sold sort of pales in comparison so let's not act like she wasn't past her REAL heyday by this point anyways. Even critically, if you pit the 80's SINGLES vs late 90's-early 00's singles, the 80's singles will prevail every time. So.....why didn't she go with a more traditional pop sound like she embraced in the 80's vs the "future disco" and heavy electronica influenced sound she chose in the 90's/00's? Surely, the more experimental sound she was exploring at the time was NEVER going to connect on quite the same level as those more accessible 80's classics. Why didn't Madonna care to keep THOSE fans on board?

I think she does what she wants and if it connects great and if it doesn't oh well. That's not to say she won't throw out some sort of damage control for the release that follows a "flop" (see COADF) but I don't think it's the end all be all for her, especially these days when album sales at best are just "good". Madonna changes her sound and image far too much to keep the same group of fans happy over and over. The "fair weather" fans that you are referring to were never going to consistently be with her for the long haul. They come and go....always have. Funny thing is, with 4M/HC, I personally know of fans that only care for her 80's/early 90's work that FINALLY liked some new music from her. Don't you think after 10 years of doing "sophisticated dance" and electronica, it was ok for her to do a frivolous, somewhat "gimmicky" dance floor stomper?? It was time for her to change her sound. I would agree with you that some of the best music she's ever done was in the ROL-COADF period but I was thrilled to have her drastically change her sound. It seemed like ages since she had done such a jarring reinvention of her music.

This!!!!

I love how people that dislike that album are sure she didn't care about it. She was probably more involved in THAT album than on MDNA. And she's obsessed with it, since she performed AGAIN Candy Shop/Spanish Lesson/Give IT 2 Me and she used Hearbeat on her last tour.

She's not me.

Come on, how the fuck d you know she loves that album? She probably think it's beyond shit and she's punishing us for being such a shitty fanbase. :lmao:

Why wouldn't she like it?

Because it's... shit?

It's just music for her workouts. Nothing more.

Did you guys forget her iTunes playlist? 'Pop music' is just for her workouts. Remember when WO said she LOVED that shit Blackout album and was working out while listening to it all the time? :lmao:

But feel free to think that she LOVES that album filled with cheap and boring last-minute changes. :lol:

Sorry but I think someone would love an album for a much better reason than that.

Because it's... shit?

It's just music for her workouts. Nothing more.

Did you guys forget her iTunes playlist? 'Pop music' is just for her workouts. Remember when WO said she LOVED that shit Blackout album and was working out while listening to it all the time? :lmao:

But feel free to think that she LOVES that album filled with cheap and boring last-minute changes. :lol:

Sorry but I think someone would love an album for a much better reason than that.

Well maybe that's because your mind is small. See I like lots of different music for lots of different reasons. I think somebody like you who doesn't like something should spend less time trying to convince yourself that Madonna didn't like it. It's a very Madonna album in my eyes with some great songs. The 'I hate Hard Candy brigade' are as boring as the 'cheek implant' brigade.

Hard Candy still is and always will be a painful album to listen to. Cheap beats, weak melodies, lame lyrics...

There's nothing 'classic' Madonna about it. It truly was Madonna on autopilot.

Having said that, I love every song on MDNA, including Give Me All Your Luvin', B-Day Song and Superstar. It just feels like it's the same woman who did I'm Going Bananas or Bye Bye Baby. The sense of humour is classic Madonna, if you know what I'm talking about.

Hard Candy was just Madonna trying to make a Justin Timberlake album 2 years later.

Good for you if you really enjoy it. I don't.

Hard Candy still is and always will be a painful album to listen to. Cheap beats, weak melodies, lame lyrics...

There's nothing 'classic' Madonna about it. It truly was Madonna on autopilot.

Having said that, I love every song on MDNA, including Give Me All Your Luvin', B-Day Song and Superstar. It just feels like it's the same woman who did I'm Going Bananas or Bye Bye Baby. The sense of humour is classic Madonna, if you know what I'm talking about.

Hard Candy was just Madonna trying to make a Justin Timberlake album 2 years later.

Good for you if you really enjoy it. I don't.

Some people might say that MDNA was an example of her trying to make a Solveig/EDM/European dance music album. I mean, I totally don't see the difference or why the point is relevant. It's no secret as to why she hires the producers she does. Basically you don't like the album and for some reason you feel the need to justify it.

Guest Rachelle of London

Well maybe that's because your mind is small. See I like lots of different music for lots of different reasons. I think somebody like you who doesn't like something should spend less time trying to convince yourself that Madonna didn't like it. It's a very Madonna album in my eyes with some great songs. The 'I hate Hard Candy brigade' are as boring as the 'cheek implant' brigade.

I know...you can tell they're the ones in a party that hang out in the kitchen hahahahahah

Some people might say that MDNA was an example of her trying to make a Solveig/EDM/European dance music album. I mean, I totally don't see the difference or why the point is relevant. It's no secret as to why she hires the producers she does. Basically you don't like the album and for some reason you feel the need to justify it.

The same people talking shit about MDNA 'stanning' for the any shit Britney's or Rihanna's handlers decide to release? I don't give a flying fuck about what these people have to say about MDNA. :lol:

I'm just speaking my mind and this album is shit. I don't need anyone to agree with me.

So let's move on....

5 years huh? her last hit!

:lmao:

Guest I'llTeachYouHowTo...

jesus....it feels so much longer than that. it took me ages to warm up to the song, and the album. it's not as bad as i thought it was at the time.