Why is she so resistant to playing the hits properly?

Apples388

Eh, the bad press will be an obscure memory by the time she goes back on tour. The media these days deposes of news stories so quickly that it really doesn't matter tbh. Everyone will have forgotten. Madonna isn't a 6th grader - she's a veteran and the goobers who made a stink about CUSTOMER SERVICE won't go to the tour next time around, only to be replaced with a bunch of delighted young phaggots who don't give a shit.

I guess that I simply don't share your optimism here. Young people certainly have shorter attention spans on these sorts of things -- and they're certainly spend their money more freely -- but Madonna's fanbase isn't young anything anymore. Just shy of 30, I'm pretty sure than my boyfriend and I were the youngest fans in our section by a full decade.

Madonna's fanbase is mostly 30-, 40-, 50-something -- age sets that are much more cognizant of their spending. They'll remember bad press and they may reconsider investing large sums of money in tickets next time around.

I just wish she would switch the screens off, get rid of the pre-recorded backing tracks that the band mimes along to, and just play the songs properly live with some kind of fresh, original staging. That would be reinvention enough for me and help Madonna stand out from all the other pop artists whose tours are now just an inferior copy of her shows.

I guess that I simply don't share your optimism here. Young people certainly have shorter attention spans on these sorts of things -- and they're certainly spend their money more freely -- but Madonna's fanbase isn't young anything anymore. Just shy of 30, I'm pretty sure than my boyfriend and I were the youngest fans in our section by a full decade.

Madonna's fanbase is mostly 30-, 40-, 50-something -- age sets that are much more cognizant of their spending. They'll remember bad press and they may reconsider investing large sums of money in tickets next time around.

speak for yourself

That's bullshit. Most of my friends i met online and went to the show with were even younger than 16. I kid you not. not talking about just one or two people either. but actual groups of young girls and mostly gay boys. maybe her audience is older in the US, but it certainly isn't in europe from what Ive seen.

Guest Rachelle of London

I agree with Nikki, maybe in America but not worldwide. Even at the US show I went to there were mostly younger people in my section, there were even some kids dressed up in the GT. Madonna's fanbase is so wide in age ranges. I'm only 21 and I feel old sometimes when speaking to the 15/16 year old hardcore fans. Even the pictures taken of fans from the shows you can see how diverse her fanbase is.

Guest Rachelle of London

What made me feel really old was at the Dallas show and I met these two guys who were younger than Rocco! LOOOOL

I have to agree with what others have said about the next tour being different. There was a tremendous amount of bad press around this tour -- and I do believe that will impact future sales. A totally anecdotal example of that:

In 2008, a group of girls that I went to college with and I all wanted to meet up in NYC for Sticky and Sweet. (We are all live in the northeast, so NYC makes for an easy meet-up.) We couldn't make it happen and everyone was bummed. But we did all come together at my place one time when everyone was in town to watch the S&S DVD -- we drank wine and had a blast. We vowed to see her live together the next time she toured.

Last year, we tried again, but we couldn't pull it together this time either. Everyone was bummed. But then with the constant negative press -- the mixed reviews, the lack of hits, the news stories about sky high ticket prices and the late start times, etc. -- and more than one has said "Thank God we didn't waste our money." Now, one cares to have a DVD watch party and no one is interested in seeing live next time around. These are eight late-20-something women -- AKA the only people in America who still buy her music, besides gay men -- and not a single one is particularly interested in checking out the next tour. That's a problem.

I agree that Madonna is not the sort of artist who caters to the crowd -- she caters to herself to build what she thinks is the best show possible. But she took putting her wants over her fans' wants to some great lengths in 2012. She can't really afford to do it again. Her fanbase has shrunk considerably from 2000 / 2001 and is shrinking still -- at an ever-growing pace. She's going to need to give fans something if she's going to keep selling out stadiums and arenas. She doesn't need to become a full-on "legacy act," a la Cher or the Rolling Stones, but she needs to find a happy medium.

Perfectly stated, from start to finish. Unless Madonna wants to give up the massive venues and play to theaters of diehards and hardcores like us, she has to find a better balance of pleasing the masses.

I actually think her fanbase got YOUNGER.

When I went to her confessions show I couldve sworn I was the youngest girl from the first.. I dont know.. let's say 6 rows or so.

And people were trying to say Hard Candy didn't attract new fans...lol. I went to her DC shows and one thing that struck me this time was how diverse the crowd was from age to race and (presumably) sexual orientation. I was in GT and the two people directly in front of me for pretty much the whole night were barely teenagers....they looked like a brother and sister and the girl looked to be about 10 years old, no bullshit and the boy looked maybe 13-14....neither one of them looked old enough to drive. I just remember being surprised to see kids so young not just at the show, but IN the GT cuz they had to go out of their way to get those tix....again, presumably. Maybe my perception was skewed simply because I happened to have a lot of diverse people around me but I don't remember her crowds being so varied since DWT.

The complaints about the hits are so old, so over it......something like 20 years people have been complaining about the same shit. The internet amplifies everything x100....it's really not that serious. The fact is, since WTG tour Madonna has ALWAYS focused on the music of her most current project when she's on tour. WTG was heavy on TB and WTG sdtk (remember...CAC and TLOL were not released when that tour started so therefore they weren't hits).....BA was heavy on LAP and IB etc etc etc. The great thing about those days is that pretty much everything she released was a hit. On a 9 track album, 5 of the songs would be major hits so therefore most songs she played were hits. Now though, she may have 1 or 2 big/minor hits per album...if she's lucky...and she DOES play those songs (ie: 4M, GI2M, GMAYL, GT etc). I love looking back at my GS, DWT, CT DVD's and seeing album tracks from Erotica, ROL, Music and COADF performed. Most likely she will never perform many of those album tracks again, so it's nice to have performances of those songs. If I had to look back at my tour DVD's and it was just the hits over and over and over that would get boring. The new music is generally what sets the whole tone for her shows. The one time she didn't focus as heavily on new music was RIT and that show seemed so all over the place. Can we imagine the entire Dick Tracy section of BA cut out?? I mean, why not do a torchy CFY on top of the piano instead of croaking out a song nobody knows like SOL? Or how about DYU, LS or Borderline instead of blatantly lip synching and prancing around with "Dick Tracy" on stage. If we could've polled the audience do you REALLY think they would've chose that over the aforementioned hits?? And let's not get started with GS....she focused on her "flop" album in favor of HUGE hits like LAP, PDP and MG. Truly....who in those audiences was dying to see In This Life over something like Live To Tell?? See the pattern?? Same shit....different year. Yet despite all this, somehow she's managed to keep her reputation as a stellar live performer intact and every single time she hits the road she's the top tour of the year. Realistically, even if she lost HALF of her audience she played for on MDNA she would still be playing to over a million people and grossing over $150 million dollars....again, that's if she lost HALF which is HIGHLY unlikely. Somehow...some way, I think ol' Madge will be alright! :lol:

I'm 15 and I love Madonna (that's obvious or I wouldn't be posting on this forum), and I know quite a few others who do as well. I saw loads of young people at Hyde Park MDNA. Although I do agree that her fanbase is mostly older people, she does have a lot of young fans.

Oh well, at least it wasn't the groom!

Flying dong dings bucks party goer

NADJA FLEET | February 12th, 2011

NEW_dildo_316.jpg

THE best man at a wedding was left battered and bloodied after he was hit in the head by a fast-moving dildo.

The flying phallus left Darwin architect Jure Skumavc, 31, nursing a split forehead.

Mr Skumavc said he was injured by the bullet-shaped, pink, sex toy - measuring about 12cm in length - at a bucks party to farewell friend's Peter Rolih's bachelorhood.

Mr Skumavc was still sporting a scar on his forehead at Mr Rolih's wedding nearly three weeks after being dinged by the artificial dong. The darting dildo drama unfolded on December 28 in a rented two-bedroom unit in Brisbane.

Mr Skumavc said about eight other friends joined Mr Rolih for the party.

He said a scantily clad exotic dancer appeared after awhile and was soon performing her party trick: shooting dildos at the guests.

Mr Skumavc said those who had seen the infamous ping-pong ball scene in the Australian film The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert would know how the party trick worked.

He said the pink projectile was flying an impressive 7m across the room and looping about 2m high.

"It wasn't a strong shot (when it hit me in the head)," he said. "It probably just landed on an awkward sort of angle."

"She was shooting it through the room from one corner to the other," he said.

"Other people got it in their chest and knees. I was the only one bleeding. It was my turn and it landed straight on my forehead.

"She started apologising straight away but I just said it was fine ... then I touched my forehead and there was blood."

Mr Skumavc had difficulties describing the tearaway toy in detail.

"I don't have a massive experience with dildos," he said.

The scars left by the offending object have since healed, but Mr Skumavc said the story was still very much alive.

"People keep asking how close my face was (to cause that sort of injury)," he said.

And people were trying to say Hard Candy didn't attract new fans... :lol:

Those people know absolutely nothing.

The younger M fans (myself included when I saw S&S at 16) are equally excited for her new(er) material as well as her past hits; we all want to hear the classics, especially if she gives them new life. A Madonna show is all about doing something NEW, and apparently that formula works; the tour attendance hasn't suffered yet.

Anyone that wants to hear an oldie-but-goodie marathon can stay the fuck home, casual fans included.

Really great that teenagers & twenty somethings still becoming fans even though she is getting up there in age. I had eighteen year old girls staying with me here for their spring break, and they were telling me how they think being twenty seven is old!

I didn't read the previous posts but that's such an easy answer, she's bored of them. I would do the same thing if I was her. I'm not sure I'd do them how she's done them but I'd certainly reinterpret them every time around. I would never want to do it the same except of maybe one or two songs which is what she does for the most part.

Guest Rachelle of London

^^ Exactly

Wasn't it IsaacHarris that perfectly stated "How can we expect Madonna to perform and sing a song in the exact way she did in her 20s now she's in 50s."

^^ Exactly

Wasn't it IsaacHarris that perfectly stated "How can we expect Madonna to perform and sing a song in the exact way she did in her 20s now she's in 50s."

Yes, yes it was!

I think we need to define what playing a hit 'properly' means: to perform a song (unremixed) in its original form, or to perform the song in it's entirety? I mean, Erotica worked well when sliced up & blended into Candy Shop on the last tour...

Guest Rachelle of London

I really like the way she updates the oldies....ITG on S&S, OYH on MDNA are perfect examples of keeping the melody of a song but refreshing it to make it something new. Casual fans still can sing a long whilst the hardcore fans can appreciate it for what it is. Even though I personally didnt like the MDNA version of HU I like the fresh take on it and its made me look at the lyrics in a different way.

it is amazing though when she does perform a song similar or same to the original, that snippet of PDP on MDNA was amazing, the response from the crowd was just soooo amazing

it is amazing though when she does perform a song similar or same to the original, that snippet of PDP on MDNA was amazing, the response from the crowd was just soooo amazing

The response Hung Up got in Birmingham was hilarious, the audience perked up and quite a lot stood and started partying before they realised it wasn't going anywhere near being danceable and they all had to sit awkwardly back down.

Guest Rachelle of London

The response Hung Up got in Birmingham was hilarious, the audience perked up and quite a lot stood and started partying before they realised it wasn't going anywhere near being danceable and they all had to sit awkwardly back down.

hahaha the woman next to me tried to sing a long, halfway through she gave up and sighed! hahahaha she did give it her all during EY though hahaha

It's snowing near you? Nothing but rain here. :/

It's RIDICULOUS. I have to commute all the way to battery park! Anyway, you lose on the basis that Madonna gets the last word. Not you. Not me. And she keeps changing up her songs and I can ASSURE you she will continue to do so!

Goodnight! :tongue:;)