Lady Gaga's 'Alejandro' Video: A Guide To Its Madonna References

TOUR2008

Anyone ever see that South Park episode "The Simpsons Already Did It"?

Thats what this whole thing reminds me of. How Matt and Trey would get pissed because everytime they came up with what they thought was an original story for their show someone would tell them that the Simpsons already did it and ruin it for them.

Fuck them and Fuck Gaga. Death to Gaga Goo Goo.

I thought of that too, with the men wearing the heels.

rs6.jpg

Yeah, when I saw the guys in Lady GaGa's video in fishnets & heels, I thought Holy Shit!! I've always loved that photoshoot.

I didn't see that many references to Madonna. I only saw Vogue and Xstatic Process, maybe some Express Yourself and Evita as well. And I heard a resemblance to La Isla Bonita in the middle of the song with the drums. Everything else seemed like it was inspired by films and paintings. And that was in the one time I saw the video, and I really wasn't reaching...I honestly saw it with an open mind!

4 a female performer 2 b dealing with certain themes automatically means 2 reference Madonna at one point or another.

She is after all the ALPHA FEMALE.

I'm kinda 'meh' about Steven Klein though..I think, here he was unable 2 transcend the editorial photoshoot setup.

A lot of the imagery, and it's nicely shot, would look great on a video wall but I'm missing an arch that blends it

into a compelling music video. It's all visual texture :fag:

Guest bluejean

I saw flashes of Express Yourself, Vogue and Justify My Love. Most of that is in the art direction though, not Gaga herself.

I also saw a fairly standard overrated music video. I am not a hater, I like her but this isn't anything to crack a fat over.

And she looks utterly awful with slicked back hair. She just doesn't have the beauty to pull that off short hair like Madonna, Janet, Britney and whoever else.

As much as I've liked Gaga's visual style and music I'm starting to feel like she should go away for awhile and come back with something classic with more conviction. She's burying herself in gimmicks.

I'm missing an arch that blends it into a compelling music video. It's all visual texture :fag:

Yes I agree

Although Klein is not to be blamed entirely :lol:

How can anyone who has ever seen a Madonna video, and calls themselves a fan, not see:

Vogue

La Isla Bonita

Oh Father

Express Yourself

Xstatic process

Like a Prayer

Blonde ambition

And the cinematography is virtually identical to the Future Lovers tour video, and yes I know it's Klein's signature style to an extent....but still.

All of that aside, I still love it. I've never watched a Gaga video more than once, but I'll be watching this one a few times. :thumbsup:

I hope Madonna has a nice satisfied smirk when she sees this. :fag:

:thumbsup:

4 a female performer 2 b dealing with certain themes automatically means 2 reference Madonna at one point or another.

She is after all the ALPHA FEMALE.

I'm kinda 'meh' about Steven Klein though..I think, here he was unable 2 transcend the editorial photoshoot setup.

A lot of the imagery, and it's nicely shot, would look great on a video wall but I'm missing an arch that blends it

into a compelling music video. It's all visual texture fag.gif

YES happy.gif

its kinda interesting in a way how all these "tributes, homages, rip offs" from all these pop stars, Glee etc are coming in a time where Madonna just celebrated her 25th year in the business, released a greatest hits compilation and is taking a break from music.

:gross:

I absolutely love it. Yes, she's a very visual, creative, and theatrical artist like Madonna. It's heavy on Steven Klien's art like what he's done for Madonna too. But, it's ok by me. It's great to see Lady Gaga bring so much depth, creativity and "art" to the forefront of videos again like a friend remarked at another forum. It makes me "think" and it has all the elements that I want and love in a music video....and dancing too. Not to mention....a great message(s) that we all know Madonna would support tenfold!! With all that said, I hope this video makes all music artists step up their game.

Guest ditaluver

the song is terrible and the video is even worse

at least with M's music I saw a blatant connection between the song and the video. this seems to me like gaga just trying to be provacative for the sake of. i mean, what on earth does this song have to do with this video.

and ... please having a 8 1/2 minute video for a mediorce song is just her trying to be epic and failing miserably.

I never thought Britney Spears, for example, for all the times she was compared to Madonna, really ever got anything out of Madonna or tried to capture anything Madonna ever did, though I'm sure she admired her success. Lady Gaga is the complete opposite.

More:

http://flavorwire.com/97394/lady-gagas-alejandro-a-guide-to-madonna-references

(These blogs seem to be a little loose/sloppy with zeroing in on some of the more specific references... Like the bed scenes obviously refer most directly to Madonna and Klein's 2003 X-Static Process, but not many in the blogosphere are catching that.)

True, I guess most of us here can make better references and examples on what are the resemble with this and Madonna's work (not just videos).

The Evita reference is just silly :lol:

Actually a lot of the Express yourself elements appear if we mix (Music Video, Blonde Ambition tour and Re-invention tour performances)

The nun stuff is more like the "BAT like a prayer performance" than the actual Video.

The Vogue reference is almost identical, has to be blind whoever that say it doesn't.

The video is a straight up MESS much like anything GaGa does. It's just so sloppily executed it's crude in it's references to Madonna. It lacks the polish classic Madonna videos always have and it certainly doesn't seem to have any context or bear any relation to the lyrics of the song.

The song itself sounds so cheap and dated. Like a tramp on the street stole a keyboard from 1995 and tinkered around with it. It's nice of her to make references to Madonna though she should at least do it with the polish and class only Madonna deserves.

It's inappropriate for such an unfortunate looking woman to make such blatant references to Madonna.

this is exactly why im very surprised why gaga always tries to DOWNplay her admiration and fanaticism for M! She technically speaks highly of her, but it seems like she doesnt go above and beyond and tries to be subtle when in reality just by her actions it seems shes a LOON!

this is exactly why im very surprised why gaga always tries to DOWNplay her admiration and fanaticism for M! She technically speaks highly of her, but it seems like she doesnt go above and beyond and tries to be subtle when in reality just by her actions it seems shes a LOON!

this is one of the primary reasons she makes me furiours.......even if you read her bio....she mentions growing up dancing and singing to cydi lauper (not madonna) yeah ok darling!.....and no mention of MADONNA happens in any of her mentions of influences.....except when asked specifically about her.

Everyone today was saying this video is very Madonna. I think there were a few Madonna references but not to the extent that people (not just Madonna fans) are suggesting. My theory is that Madonna has transcended simple pop icon status and is now Omnipresent.

That's my thought too. Basically, every female pop artist that has come after her has been influenced by her whether they know it or not. Kind of like how every rock band after the Beatles has been influenced by them regardless of whether they are fans or not. Her influence at this point is unavoidable. Funny how now it is the "norm" for female artists to be fake blondes, scantily clad, change their image a lot and be somewhat "outrageous". Pre-Madonna that wasn't the "norm" at all. It's going to be hard for female artists who use any of those elements in their work to not be compared to Madonna heavily because Madonna is the foundation to all of that being not only "normal" but almost expected in a way from females in pop music.

It's interesting that pre-Madonna the music charts were pretty much dominated by men and all male rock bands. Post-Madonna...especially once the 90's hit.....the charts became incredibly female dominated. Think back to the biggest music artists of the past 20 years vs. the 20 years before that. The biggest 1990-present have been female. Not to ruffle any feathers, but if Gaga is the current "queen" of the airplay charts. Who would be her "equal" King?? There is nobody I can think of really. Think back to the 80's though....Madonna had a few likely "Kings" to her "Queen" status...MJ, Prince, Bruce.

With all that said though, this video (and some of her previous ones too) DOES seem to almost intentionally reference "Madonna moments". As mentioned, that could have a lot to do with who she worked with on this video. Generally though, I do think venturing into "Madonna territory" is unavoidable with a lot of these pop slut nothings these days.

THE POWER OF MADONNA!!! CAN GRANNY RIGHTFULLY GET HER PROPS NOW PLEASE!?!? :)