Lady Gaga's 'Alejandro' Video: A Guide To Its Madonna References

TOUR2008

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1641089/20100608/lady_gaga.jhtml

Lady Gaga's 'Alejandro' Video: A Guide To Its Madonna References

Aside from initial 'Vogue' comparisons, there are traces of 'Like a Prayer,' 'Human Nature' and other Material Girl clips.

By Kyle Anderson

Text Size Decrease Increase

When the brief preview for Lady Gaga's "Alejandro" video appeared during the singer's appearance on "Larry King Live" last week, many people immediately noticed the nod to Madonna's "Vogue." It was all there: the sharp black-and-white photography, the muscular dancing, the spartan set, the iconic hairstyle.

But as it turns out, the full version of "Alejandro" — which premiered Tuesday (June 8) — is a healthy combination of a number of different references, nods and homages to a bevy of Madonna videos.

The "Vogue" references are certainly there, as Gaga spends a large chunk of the video in that same spartan set in black-and-white. But the rest of the clip features Gaga in a number of different costumes — including a red nun's habit and some sort of steampunk headgear — in a handful of different scenarios (some of which involving Nazi imagery).

In addition to "Vogue," the opening sequence seems to recall Madonna's "Evita" period (when she made "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" a hit). Gaga is dressed to mourn whomever is in the casket behind her — perhaps the titular Alejandro? — and it would be easy to assume that she's attending a state funeral, which would mean Gaga flipped the gender roles in the original story of the Peróns (in reality, it was Juan who buried Eva).

Later, Gaga strips to her underwear and dominates a scantily clad dancer tied to a bed. While Madonna is no stranger to the imagery surrounding bondage and submission, that image most faithfully recalls the Material Girl's "Human Nature," which saw her dressed in black pleather and dancing seductively with the assistance of ropes and a riding crop.

But the biggest nod to Madonna's past certainly comes with all the religious imagery. Gaga dresses as a nun, swallows rosary beads and stands in front of a row of crosses at various points during the clip, which brings to mind Madonna's classic video for "Like a Prayer." In fact, there are even video clips of flames in the background of one of the dance scenes in "Alejandro," which could easily have been lifted wholesale from the moment in Madonna's clip when she sings among a field of flaming crosses.

There are a number of other cultural references that slip out of "Alejandro" (Gaga clearly enjoys the work of film director Fritz Lang), but even the gun-barrel-sporting bra she wears at the end could be mistaken for that conical top Madonna made famous during the Blonde Ambition Tour. Of course, "Alejandro" director Steven Klein has worked as a photographer for Madonna over the past few years, so it's quite possible that these are merely the influences he has picked up while working with her. But if Gaga really is making an attempt to define herself as a next-gen Madonna who also pays homage to her elders, then there are worse paths to follow.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2010/06/08/madonna-lady-gaga-either-rips-her-off-or-salutes-her

Madonna: Lady GaGa Either Rips Her off or Salutes HerBy: Roger Friedman

Is imitation really the sincerest form of flattery?

Madonna must be trying to control all of her emotions right now on this subject. Photographer Steven Klein, who’s worked with Madonna a lot in the past, is the director of Lady GaGa’s new eight and a half minute video “Alejandro.”

Eyes closed, “Alejandro” certainly sounds just like a Madonna record, from top to bottom. Stephanie Germanotta’s voice is processed just the way Madonna’s was during her the late 80s and early 90s, from “Express Yourself” and “Like a Prayer” through “Justify My Love.”

But open your eyes, and Lady GaGa and Klein are just regurgitating “Vogue” or “Justify My Love.” We’ve been here, he’s been here, only Ms. Germanotta hasn’t been here. The only thing completely different about her Madonna worship is that GaGa plays the piano herself. She may even be writing the songs.

Isn’t it funny that no one thought to totally rip off Madonna years ago? I guess one obstacle was the money needed to make such an enterprise successful. But Germanotta obviously has convinced her backers this is the moment for Madonna redux. It has to be embarrassing for Klein, who must know that he’s made either a Madonna rip off or a tribute. I guess it will depend on how he spins it to the Original GaGa.

Everyone today was saying this video is very Madonna. I think there were a few Madonna references but not to the extent that people (not just Madonna fans) are suggesting. My theory is that Madonna has transcended simple pop icon status and is now Omnipresent.

I see the references to Madonna for sure (Express Yourself is the most that comes to mind) but it has some sense of self. I more wanna know why is the video soo long? And why is it soo dark yet the song has a peppy feel to it? Sure go for something different but how is it relevant to the song? (which the video is meant to be promoting and emphasizing)

I see the references to Madonna for sure (Express Yourself is the most that comes to mind) but it has some sense of self. I more wanna know why is the video soo long? And why is it soo dark yet the song has a peppy feel to it? Sure go for something different but how is it relevant to the song? (which the video is meant to be promoting and emphasizing)

it's NONSENSE....the only "HOMAGE" she should be paying tribute to is ACE OF BASS.

This is becoming like the Bible thumpers that see the devil in everything.

Or the people who see the illuminati in everything.

Come up with a narrative in your head and you will look for everything and anything to keep that narrative going and reinforce it.

How can anyone who has ever seen a Madonna video, and calls themselves a fan, not see:

Vogue

La Isla Bonita

Oh Father

Express Yourself

Xstatic process

Like a Prayer

Blonde ambition

And the cinematography is virtually identical to the Future Lovers tour video, and yes I know it's Klein's signature style to an extent....but still.

All of that aside, I still love it. I've never watched a Gaga video more than once, but I'll be watching this one a few times. :thumbsup:

I hope Madonna has a nice satisfied smirk when she sees this. :fag:

Everyone today was saying this video is very Madonna. I think there were a few Madonna references but not to the extent that people (not just Madonna fans) are suggesting. My theory is that Madonna has transcended simple pop icon status and is now Omnipresent.

On point.

I think there are whiffs of Madonna in the air, but this doesn't seem as much of a carbon copy as Xtina's latest video. Either way, it seems very cool that no one can lift a finger in the pop diva world without being compared to the Queen - which is as it should be.

How can anyone who has ever seen a Madonna video, and calls themselves a fan, not see:

Vogue

La Isla Bonita

Oh Father

Express Yourself

Xstatic process

Like a Prayer

Blonde ambition

And the cinematography is virtually identical to the Future Lovers tour video, and yes I know it's Klein's signature style to an extent....but still.

All of that aside, I still love it. I've never watched a Gaga video more than once, but I'll be watching this one a few times. :thumbsup:

adding on to the list:

human nature - towards the end when the male dancers groped and threw her around

justify my love & erotica - such as when she was playing on the bed and nearly everything else.

On point.

I think there are whiffs of Madonna in the air, but this doesn't seem as much of a carbon copy as Xtina's latest video. Either way, it seems very cool that no one can lift a finger in the pop diva world without being compared to the Queen - which is as it should be.

Yes.

I think the fact that Steven Klein directed kinda makes it a no brainer too. Hello - the guy has been a close friend and constant collaborator of Madonna's for 7 years. He obviously worships her.

Guest missy bi_tch

nonsensical...

the vogue references are totally way off.... madonna does a dance sequence in vogue...

bits of others yes, in general, way different...

you just have to admit it, gaga now is what madonna was in the 80s

do no wrong... and it really isn't so bad if she can continue the legacy NOT replace.... madonna is irreplaceable and she has admiration for GaGa...

just let it be... madonna couldnt be bothered with proper song promo or videos in the last few years for christ's sake...

nonsensical...

the vogue references are totally way off.... madonna does a dance sequence in vogue...

bits of others yes, in general, way different...

you just have to admit it, gaga now is what madonna was in the 80s

do no wrong... and it really isn't so bad if she can continue the legacy NOT replace.... madonna is irreplaceable and she has admiration for GaGa...

just let it be... madonna couldnt be bothered with proper song promo or videos in the last few years for christ's sake...

she doesn't need to....haha...that's the difference.

Another Madonna-ism in the video is Steven Meisel's "Flesh & Fantasy" photoshoot from Rolling Stone in 1991. The problem with the video (I LOVE the song) is that there is NOTHING original about it. We've seen it ALL before. Compare that to watching Madonna's "Like A Prayer", "Express Yourself", "Oh Father", "Vogue" & "Justify My Love" for the first time. Yes, Madonna also infused her videos with iconic images but, she very wisely chose to pay Hommage' to works of art that had been largely forgotten by the mainstream. The bar I go to played "Alejandro" (to a crowd of about 35-40) and the first & ONLY comments I heard were "She's got some hot guys in it" & "It's very suggestive". Very telling. Anyone can be suggestive & put hot guys in their video.

Lady GaGa's "Telephone" video was similarly problematic with it's obvious references.

Lady GaGa, whom I think is VERY talented, has yet to make something entirely her own to make me get on board her train. It seems to me, she's trying too hard to BE Madonna (when I first heard "Bad Romance", I was immediately reminded of Madonna's 'accept me as the freak I am' lyrics in "Rescue Me").

In this day & age, there aren't many female artists who haven't publicly admitted to being influenced by Madonna in some way, shape or form. Yet,they have all found a way to be themselves (Rihanna, Gwen Stefani, Beyonce, Pink, Christina, Britney, hell even Mary J Blige & most recently M.I.A). However, none of them have been quite as blatant as Lady GaGa.

Anyone ever see that South Park episode "The Simpsons Already Did It"?

Thats what this whole thing reminds me of. How Matt and Trey would get pissed because everytime they came up with what they thought was an original story for their show someone would tell them that the Simpsons already did it and ruin it for them.

It looks like GaGa watched Madonna's "I'm Going To Tell You A Secret" which documents her ReInvention Tour 2004... GaGa's "vogue" outfit is the exact same outfit Madonna wears in the Like a Prayer/Imagine segment of ReInvention Tour...and the bed/imagery of the heart is straight from the Klein directed opening of ReInvention Tour, "The Beast Within"- from Madonna/Klein's 2003 exhibit "XtATic Process"... the male dance sequence reminds me of "express yourself" too (the Blonde Ambition version as well as the video). Overall, I like to dress up and act like Madonna too- so obviously I love the video- but come on it is clearly "INSPIRED" by Madonna... lol and eyewear by Marilyn Manson- love it though- b/c i Love madonna- so you go gagaloo.

Guest Not4Pussies

its kinda interesting in a way how all these "tributes, homages, rip offs" from all these pop stars, Glee etc are coming in a time where Madonna just celebrated her 25th year in the business, released a greatest hits compilation and is taking a break from music.

Vogue

La Isla Bonita

Oh Father

Express Yourself

Xstatic process

Like a Prayer

Blonde ambition

I agree 100%....

I cant stand Gaga, her music is terrible it's all about image. And, as far as I have seen so far all of her imagery is lifted from Madonna inparticular this video. Madonna in her prime was in a league of her own, no one like her I wish Gaga would piss off with her rip offs and crap songs.

More:

http://flavorwire.com/97394/lady-gagas-alejandro-a-guide-to-madonna-references

(These blogs seem to be a little loose/sloppy with zeroing in on some of the more specific references... Like the bed scenes obviously refer most directly to Madonna and Klein's 2003 X-Static Process, but not many in the blogosphere are catching that.)