Mr. Brainwash Madonna / Britney kiss prints for sale

funkydita

Available for sale for $250 dollars from Mr. Brainwash's site.

bc_03.jpg

Screen print on hand torn textured archival art paper. Each print individually hand stained, and finished with paint. Each print in the edition is unique. Signed and numbered, with thumb print on the back. Edition of 75.

40 Available.

Am I the only one who finds this print just horrible?

No, I don't think it's all that great; it's not saying much. When you click on the "see closer" at the the site the following crop appears, I think it works better:

bc_03_cu.jpg

Guest chatty kathy

"Thank You!" funkydita for the heads-up!

Not what I was expecting actually.

I was expecting more along the lines (no pun intended) of the "Celebration" artwork we've been seeing.

I'm just NOT that into it.

Mr Brainwash should be called Mr Xerox. I haven't seen anything original about his work. He looks like he copied it all off a T-shirt from Top Shop two years ago.

This guy has definitely not turned it up to Eleven! He's about 2.5.

PS: Banksy Rocks!

Guest ursaminorjim

Meh. Banksy's the real Mr. Xerox - he's made a career of merely ripping off another artist. He's just marketed himself more cannily.

Guest ursaminorjim

There's a French graffiti artist, Blek Le Rat, who's been doing stencilled pieces for nearly 30 years.

But how is it you're "good mates" with Banksy?! I thought you lived in south east England?

Guest ursaminorjim

I just don't think Banksy is doing or saying anything new or interesting. At all. The fact that more than a few of his pieces directly mimic someone else's just bears that out - regardless of his acknowledgement of his forebears. It's not just a matter of both artists using the same technique and materials, and you know it.

And of course people travel (even though Brits are notoriously provinicial and scarcely leave their own square mile ;) ). I just find it more than a little hard to swallow that you're good buddies with an international art star in his mid-30s whose stock in trade is his secret identity, that's all.

Guest ursaminorjim

For the same reason people buy up Banksy's stuff. It's dirt cheap, and people wanna get in on the next big art thing before it explodes. Minimal investment for potential great returns. Art for commerce's sake.

Guest ursaminorjim

Well he also hides his identity because he's a tagger, silly. A portion of his work is, by definition, illegal. Which is also why he usually wears a mask.

Guest ursaminorjim

Well, you'd be wrong. Regardless, he's a chump who's made very well for himself. And part of the reason for his success is his mystique, no question.

And who knows - maybe some day he'll come up with something truly original. For now he's regurgitated hype.

Guest ursaminorjim

Are the red prints on the hairy guys underwear (in your sig) an original piece of art? :doofus:

:rolleyes:

For someone who works in an adjunct of the garment industry, you sure do need some schoolin'! :lol:

Guest ursaminorjim

I didn't say I would teach you anything. Just that you need to learn.

Anyway, yes - WVB's clothing is a form of (mass-produced) art. It's both aesthetic and utilitarian. Although the red Ws on the briefs are piping, actually, not printing.

I guess you're more into clothes than fashion. That's cool.

Guest ursaminorjim

Well, probably because you keep trying to throw challenges my way that often have only the most specious relation to the subjects at hand. :lol:

It's my fault for rising to the bait, I guess. But I just have such a hardon for context and history and I hate to be misunderstood or misconstrued, so it leads to constant reiteration and refinement and drawing lines in the sand, blah blah blah. But I don't think that it's hypocritical of me to suggest that a visual artist whose work is indistinguishable from another's isn't the same as a musician whose songs share a similar point of inspiration (or even sample a previous artist's work). Sure, it can be argued that there's nothing new under the sun, but being similar is a far cry from being the same.

Plus, Banksy just irks me. I find him mediocre and aesthetically bereft, yet he's arguably the most popular contemporary artist of the moment.

Guest ursaminorjim

What do you mean, Banksy doesn't sell his art?! Of course he does! :blink:

As for him being a "hipster" artist...that's more the province of Dash Snow or Ryan McGinley or some shit. Banksy is well known outside of the art world bubble, you can get his books at friggin' Urban Outfitters. He's not for scenesters.

And again, you can't compare what Banksy does to what Kylie - or any other pop singer, for that matter - does. At all. So don't waste your time.

Guest ursaminorjim

If that's the case, why did one of your good buddy's canvas pieces go for £102,000 at Sotheby's?

And did you paint yourself into a corner or stecil yourself there?

Guest Pud Whacker

Well, probably because you keep trying to throw challenges my way that often have only the most specious relation to the subjects at hand. :lol:

It's my fault for rising to the bait, I guess. But I just have such a hardon for context and history and I hate to be misunderstood or misconstrued, so it leads to constant reiteration and refinement and drawing lines in the sand, blah blah blah. But I don't think that it's hypocritical of me to suggest that a visual artist whose work is indistinguishable from another's isn't the same as a musician whose songs share a similar point of inspiration (or even sample a previous artist's work). Sure, it can be argued that there's nothing new under the sun, but being similar is a far cry from being the same.

Plus, Banksy just irks me. I find him mediocre and aesthetically bereft, yet he's arguably the most popular contemporary artist of the moment.

people thought that of haring, basquiat, etc. and thank god we have banksy because the art star is dead. and before you launch into a neut, when i say art star, i mean one that is KNOWN - of the days where they were jsut as covered as brooke sheilds.

i didnt realize you had such a beef with banksy. which i really dont understand, unless its the fact that his books are sold at urban outfitters. hes so good, hes so clever and hes very active. soo, for me, i dont care if Le Hoshnwosh did it before him - he does it and he does it GREAT.