Celebration on iTunes

sniper

Guest Deus Ped

Well, I never expected this song to blow up in the US. Maybe become a "Give It 2 Me"-sized hit, but it looks like it'll fail to reach that goal too :(

The funny thing is that most people on this board are really surprised. But many people around here just aren't in sync with what the general public likes I guess. When people don't hear that "4 Minutes" had more potential than "Celebration" even without Justin on the track, they don't understand what the kids today are into. This song doesn't even reach "4 Minutes" to the knees.

I wasn't planning on ranting, but that's just the way it turned out :p Rant ovah!

Guest Bad Robot

Deus, you raise an interesting point. If anyone expected a massive hit, they were foolish from the get go. But, there has been enough of a pattern over the past few album cycles to believe that a lead Madonna single, regardless of its ultimate destiny/appeal, tends to get a baseline of maybe 20m audience impressions and strong initial digital sales.

In that respect, I am surprised that things have gone *this* poorly to start. If you had asked me a month ago, I would've said her new song was guaranteed top 20 and most likely would spend at least one week in the top ten, just based on the initial rush of fans. Now top 40 is looking like it may not even happen.

Madonna is also in a bit of a weird position though, because she still is huge just about everywhere else in the world. I almost wish she would just lose commercial relevance altogether so she could just go crazy exploring different styles without having to care about commercial prospects anymore. But, I don't know that she'll ever go that far out there.

Deus, you raise an interesting point. If anyone expected a massive hit, they were foolish from the get go. But, there has been enough of a pattern over the past few album cycles to believe that a lead Madonna single, regardless of its ultimate destiny/appeal, tends to get a baseline of maybe 20m audience impressions and strong initial digital sales.

In that respect, I am surprised that things have gone *this* poorly to start. If you had asked me a month ago, I would've said her new song was guaranteed top 20 and most likely would spend at least one week in the top ten, just based on the initial rush of fans. Now top 40 is looking like it may not even happen.

Madonna is also in a bit of a weird position though, because she still is huge just about everywhere else in the world. I almost wish she would just lose commercial relevance altogether so she could just go crazy exploring different styles without having to care about commercial prospects anymore. But, I don't know that she'll ever go that far out there.

well...I hope she keeps her success in the US, but Queen for example, were huge all over the world but the US, and they continued making great music

I know that this is not the right place to ask about it, but... Is anyone worried that it still hasn't been playlisted by Radio 1 (UK)? Or am I just paranoid?

Hopefully WB will treat this as a teaser single. Maybe then radio would be more open to "Revolver".

it would have been nice if they notified us in the beginning that this was a teaser single

Why are people even surprised?

US radio hate Madonna, so there's no buzz really..

and this sound in particular was doomed in the first place

WB are fucking it up as usual... if they were a little smart they would have released Celebration to Europe and Revolver to the US... but no-no...

US is an ignorant music market... a 90's eurodance club by Madonna is doomed these days to make any impact in the US... Revolver might atleast have been a minor hit... but even that would be hard because of this ongoing anti-Madonna thing...

Why are people even surprised?

US radio hate Madonna, so there's no buzz really..

and this sound in particular was doomed in the first place

WB are fucking it up as usual... if they were a little smart they would have released Celebration to Europe and Revolver to the US... but no-no...

US is an ignorant music market... a 90's eurodance club by Madonna is doomed these days to make any impact in the US... Revolver might atleast have been a minor hit... but even that would be hard because of this ongoing anti-Madonna thing...

Radio isn't anti Madonna. They're just ageist. It doesn't matter what track she released, or how great it may be, they will never spin her new music in any consistent way.....and WB clearly doesn't care.

Is europe any different? The song seems to be stalling EVERYWHERE, and the UK doesn't seem to be showing her much love these days. Do they hate her too?

Radio isn't anti Madonna. They're just ageist. It doesn't matter what track she released, or how great it may be, they will never spin her new music in any consistent way.....and WB clearly doesn't care.

Is europe any different? The song seems to be stalling EVERYWHERE, and the UK doesn't seem to be showing her much love these days. Do they hate her too?

UK is not whole Europe remember? And btw UK has been in a kind of anti-Madonna mood since she divorced Guy.. silly but true... and it has nothing to do with age or anything like that

And Europe as a whole has got a way different attitude when it comes to Madonna... and other "old" artists aswell.. I guess it's just not as ageist... but I still don't buy that that would be the only reason for US radio not playing her..

don't believe me? just compare sales and airplay status for the past 10 years... it speaks for itself..

but offcourse it doesn't help that this song is dated aswell... but still a big difference between Europe and US when it comes to Madonna for sure

UK is not whole Europe remember? And btw UK has been in a kind of anti-Madonna mood since she divorced Guy.. silly but true... and it has nothing to do with age or anything like that

And Europe as a whole has got a way different attitude when it comes to Madonna... and other "old" artists aswell.. I guess it's just not as ageist... but I still don't buy that that would be the only reason for US radio not playing her..

don't believe me? just compare sales and airplay status for the past 10 years... it speaks for itself..

but offcourse it doesn't help that this song is dated aswell... but still a big difference between Europe and US when it comes to Madonna for sure

I know that the UK is not the whole of europe. You go on and on about how the U.S. is soo anti Madonna based on no first hand knowledge or experience of the situation here. Your little theory is just a transparent crutch for your constant anti american bashing, and nothing more. The fact is, her age does play a significant role in her diminishing airplay here. This country is ageist, not anti Madonna. Radio play drops significantly, for EVERY artist once they reach the wrong side of 40.....for her it started 10 years ago. It doesn't matter if you buy it or not, it's a FACT.

It's great that europeans aren't as ageist (although I find that to be largely cliche), but that still doesn't explain why the song is not burning up the charts over there either.

Madonna is an act who could receive a boost from a video, but we'll see.

Promo has never been anything spectacular from her or WB, so why should this be any different?

HU was from a new studio album, so this new one- being from a compilation- probably doesn't have the buzz/hype that HU had.

I think it's fair to say that U.S. top 40 radio is EXTREMELY resistent to playing any new solo Madonna track. Age definitely is a big factor. Maybe if she really went away for a few years or something and came back, there'd be more excitement/interest in new Madge music, who knows.

U.S radio turned against Madonna some years ago, it was stupid to expect they'd get behind a song that doesn't feature Justin Timberlake/Timberland etc. Perhaps "Revolver" will get more airplay because of Lil Wayne's involvement.

Sure, it's cool to hear Madonna on the radio and we still want her music to be successful on the charts, but when you're as rich and famous as Madge, is it the end of the world if your latest single doesn't go Top 10?

And Warner is obviously going to do fuck all to promote the new stuff!

I've come to think that there's a specific plan for this single. Maybe someone's theory about a teaser release could be true after all...

1) It has been said that Madonna herself gave the permission to leak the song onto the net nearly a week ago = for a business woman of her caliber, it would be such a stupid move to reveal a new product that is supposed to make her cash in; maybe it wasn't supposed to be released this way and Warner only decided to make Celebration (album version) available for download after seeing fans starving for new material (remember, their goal is always to make money from everything they handle).

2) Now that we know more details about the video premiere, it's clear that the mix used for the filming is a full remix, since the video is gonna be 5 minutes long...

My conclusion is: the REAL single we're waiting for is the one used for the clip, the one that hasn't been sent yet to radios, the one that's not available yet on Itunes, Amazon, etc. I'm speaking of the FULL BENNY BENASSI REMIX, of course! The album version to create the hype and the remix to sell the single: what do you think?

If someone informed can confirm what I'm saying, please share with us :)

I've come to think that there's a specific plan for this single. Maybe someone's theory about a teaser release could be true after all...

1) It has been said that Madonna herself gave the permission to leak the song onto the net nearly a week ago = for a business woman of her caliber, it would be such a stupid move to reveal a new product that is supposed to make her cash in; maybe it wasn't supposed to be released this way and Warner only decided to make Celebration (album version) available for download after seeing fans starving for new material (remember, their goal is always to make money from everything they handle).

2) Now that we know more details about the video premiere, it's clear that the mix used for the filming is a full remix, since the video is gonna be 5 minutes long...

My conclusion is: the REAL single we're waiting for is the one used for the clip, the one that hasn't been sent yet to radios, the one that's not available yet on Itunes, Amazon, etc. I'm speaking of the FULL BENNY BENASSI REMIX, of course! The album version to create the hype and the remix to sell the single: what do you think?

If someone informed can confirm what I'm saying, please share with us :)

id buy that, it sounds reasonable

Guest Danny86

"HU" was also after a considerable gap, she was laying low for a year with only doing children's books, yet now the same tour is still going on, she never built any anticipation for new Madonna music. Technically this is still the same era that started in the first half of 2008 and is getting closed with the GH (like how GHV2 actually closed the Music era).

We really can't know what plans Warner had. To me throwing the song out there after it leaked would prove that it was indeed a "for the fans" single and they wanted to cash in on fans downloading right away. Of course they probably expect it to catch Europe, but I can't see them thinking it was gonna be the next "Hung Up" or "4 Minutes" anywhere in the world. The song is filled with references to past hits and it does sound like her older remixes. Of course Warner doesn't know giving a GH bonus song to fans is not enough, they want chart positions as well. :p

Guest mattcho

Aside from HU and 4M being the anchor for full studio albums, we're also forgetting that both were backed by high profile cross-promotional campaigns (Motorola and Sunsilk).

If you don't get airplay, sell your song on a commercial.

Celebration doesn't have that. Aside from her hardcore fans, nobody knows about it.

I'm thrilled that Madonna is leaving WB. They are a disaster, financially and operationally.

- Matt.

Edited by mattcho

Aside from HU and 4M being the anchor for full studio albums, we're also forgetting that both were backed by high profile cross-promotional campaigns (Motorola and Sunsilk).

If you don't get airplay, sell your song on a commercial.

Celebration doesn't have that. Aside from her hardcore fans, nobody knows about it.

I'm thrilled that Madonna is leaving WB. They are a disaster, financially and operationally.

- Matt.

Is Live Nation any better? Does anyone know?

why does it seem likw no news from UK for celebration..Is it also flopping there?it is supposed to be her solace.