Why can't M sing like this anymore?

Guest Topaz Scorpio

I thought that was Sir Suedehead :shock:

Well..he does my PR. :fag:

I coined the term while chatting 2 an American girl on Napster back in 1999.

Remember Napster? :lmao:

:fag:

I don't get this 'it's her AGE' argument. It's so pessimistic, like the situation isn't going to improve -for all we know her next tour could feature amazing live vocals. NO she shouldn't be able to do the same high pitched voice, but that doesn't mean she can't still well and be recognisably 'Madonna' just with a slightly lower register.

I don't get this 'it's her AGE' argument. It's so pessimistic, like the situation isn't going to improve -for all we know her next tour could feature amazing live vocals. NO she shouldn't be able to do the same high pitched voice, but that doesn't mean she can't still well and be recognisably 'Madonna' just with a slightly lower register.

I don't get where you're coming from at all. Her voice now doesn't sound radically different from any of the older records. She still sounds like Madonna to me.

Yes, she hits some flat notes on Sticky and Sweet, but she does that on every tour. She's never been a perfect live singer, but the basic tone of her voice is pretty much the same as it has always been.

I don't get where you're coming from at all. Her voice now doesn't sound radically different from any of the older records. She still sounds like Madonna to me.

Yes, she hits some flat notes on Sticky and Sweet, but she does that on every tour. She's never been a perfect live singer, but the basic tone of her voice is pretty much the same as it has always been.

the SOUL is missing.

SHe does not use the LOWER REGISTER much anymore.

Guest Topaz Scorpio
I'm sure Topaz didn't want explanations and knows all this and it was a rhetorical question anyway, just to post the clip.

Correctamundo sir. :thumbsup:

Of course it's no surprise that the usual thick suspects could not grasp that. :dramatic:

Correctamundo sir. :thumbsup:

Of course it's no surprise that the usual thick suspects could not grasp that. :dramatic:

woooooooooow...thats soooo rude.

if its a rhetorical question , then why even start a thread? :lame:

Guest Topaz Scorpio
woooooooooow...thats soooo rude.

if its a rhetorical question , then why even start a thread? :lame:

And today's completely missing the point award goes to... :wacko:

However, I do think she's always had this difficulty with her softer more drawn out voice. I've never seen a good performance of Take A Bow for instance. I just think it's got alot worse with less breath, more energetic dancing, and to be honest, less focus on the voice.

Umm, could that be because she only performed it LIVE once? Technically she did perform it one other time, but it wasn't live. She was lipsynching it.

Guest Pud Whacker

god, i love that take a bow performance. she rock'd that shyt out. she sang the hell out of it. her hair was sock'n it , her body was voluptuous and fuck hole, and the face...forget it - perfection.

no more masquerade - youre ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNE LONELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY STAR!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL THE WORLD IS THE STAGE AND EVERYONE HAS THEIR PART BUT HOW WAS TO KNOW WHICH WAY THE STORY GOES....?

LIVE BABY!!!!

I'm not dismissing the whole performance; I should have said it wasn't vocally strong. I think because it's quite slow and soft, she struggles for control alot. Conversely, in the Sooner or Later performance where she really belts it out, she's completely perfect.

Guest Pud Whacker

i dont find her struggling with this one, at all. i think she had a grip. she let it rip in all the right places. in fact after that how was i to know that youd break my heart listen to the audience going crazy!!!!

i know many songs that she has belly flopped. this, to me, isnt one of them.

So my point rather stands then doesn't it?

No. If she had performed it with LIVE vocals more than once, maybe?? But since she only sang it LIVE once, you have nothing to compare it too.

Anyway, I think she sounded great when she performed it @ the American Music Awards. Was she perfect pitched... not at all.

And today's completely missing the point award goes to... :wacko:

Thank you , thank you very much, you'll have to forgive me, i really didnt think i was going to

win so i havent prepared a speech. Okay, okay , i can do this , i can do this, okay, first of all i would

like to thank all those people who made this possible: the guys at Dell Computers, u know who you are,

my internet providers, high speed smypatico connection, you guys are the best in the bizz, and most of all,

last but not least i would like to thank my cordless keyboard, for without you, none of this would be possible.

Thanks to all of you for this prestigious award.

wow....this thing is heavy.

:brenspin::gent:

god, i <font size="3">love</font> that take a bow performance.

Aw, thanks! I'd never seen it before. (Had seen photos of it from way back when...) It wasn't too bad. Not note-perfect, of course -- but if you listen to Babyface, even some of his falsetto work was a bit flat.

She warmed up during the performance and when she belts it, the emotion helps carry it. So pretty! I love that song... Very sweet -- them performing it together with a live orchestra. Classy.

Guest ursaminorjim

True, as most people get older, their voices become harder to control (in addition to losing some power). But I think the main factor with Madonna is a problem with a lot of pop singers - the simple fact that most recorded vocals are comped and there's a penchant for close-miking, so the singer doesn't require a lot of power or finesse. Then to have to translate that into a huge venue...it's difficult. A song like "4 minutes" is in a lower register for her - in the studio, she can sing it in a come hither voice and just push it up in the mix. Live? She has to try to project it, so it can't help but become a little more...Edward G. Robinson. And "Take a bow" is just a hard song period - there's a pretty wide range of notes, and lots of modulating chords underneath and weird time shifts. I think she did pretty damned well in that AMAs performance, considering.

I do agree that her voice lost a lot of its intimacy and (for lack of a better word) "soul" after her training for Evita. It still pops up every now and then, of course, but I feel she traded rawness for technique.

Without a second thought. ;)

Her vocals are still great! It depends on the song. Look at this for example. :wow: She always sounds great when she sings Evita songs.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmXLl_qqEoI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmXLl_qqEoI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmXLl_qqEoI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I love Lament from the Re-Invention Tour. A shame this whole concert never saw it's way to DVD. I still love Madonna's voice, overall. She was never Celine/Mariah/Whitney level vocals, but she's always had a nice, clear, recognizable. It can get nasally but that happens to a lot of people.

Edited by Lymon

I love Lament from the Re-Invention Tour. A shame this whole concert never saw it's way to DVD. I still love Madonna's voice, overall. She was never Celine/Mariah/Whitney level vocals, but she's always had a nice, clear, recognizable. It can get nasally but that happens to a lot of people.

Thank God. They just shout their way through their songs. Madonna has much more emotion rather than range. Whitney's I Will Always Love You is just overblown and soulless. Listen to Dolly's original and the fragile vocals make the song far more emotive. I hope that is the gayest thing I say for a while.

Doesn't Madonna pretty much insist on just doing one take where she can to keep the emotion - well around Like A Prayer that's what she said.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHtBAYMU9WA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHtBAYMU9WA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHtBAYMU9WA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

0:36-0:43 are her most HILARIOUS live vocals EVER :lmao:

But I still love it of course. :D

Oh my WORD :rotfl:

Guest IdaSteffington

Madonna has a lovely voice but of course my hearing isn't too well the last 24 years. I do admire her as a role model for elderly woman such as myself. I was quite the naughty girl when she first hit the scene. My Clarence and I were separated. When she did Like a Virgin at the MTV awards, I was inspired to renew my wedding vows with my husband.

Guest boytoyville

I like her singing voice just as much now as I did before. Her voice has changed dramatically over the years and it's added a refreshing change in how she approaches her music and I think it's fantastic!