Why can't M sing like this anymore?

Guest Topaz Scorpio

Well yeah I may have been too harsh in saying "death," but really, the last tour had so many bad vocal moments, it just seems like she can't stay on key at all anymore. She does great with the ballads, particularly the Evita songs. But when she tries to sing a song like Beat Goes On, she can barely make it through. She sounded great on the DWT, I don't know if she was just singing easier songs, but her voice was a lot "cleaner" and she was getting through the songs with relative ease. When 2003 came around, she started having the crow effect. It seemed to come out of nowhere, and I don't really get why. Just 2 years prior she was fantastic live.

I enjoy the Crow Voice. It's got "Character" :queenbitch:

I Mean, could you REALLY picture a Middle-Aged Madonna on Stage with the Same

High-Pitched, Mickey Mouse Voice she had in the 80's????

Is She Janet Jackson Now?????

Of course not. I mean vocals like this:

Sure she lowers her voice to a different key so that she can sing the song, but it seems like when she does that now, she still sounds like caca. She hits some sour notes on Candy Shop's verses which I thought would be a cakewalk for her. Oh well. I think the DWT and Girlie Show are her best tours for live singing. RIT was eh. Confessions had some incredible highs and big lows. Sticky And Sweet was not very good. I love the Blond Ambition voice but she was abusing it for sure.

She sounds amazing on Frozen too:

Guest Pud Whacker

well, thats the great thing about age. everyone thought she used to sound like shyt on live aid, wtg, blond ambition, etc. now that time has passed, its revered like a 5 year old finger fucker jackson. so after the live nation deal is over - just look forward to how much youll love the these latest vocals!!!!

Well I love watching her regardless, even when her vocals suck. I just think on THIS tour, she was capable of better. I guess it is age though. She makes up for it with the performances anyway - that's an area where she's only gotten better and better.

well, thats the great thing about age. everyone thought she used to sound like shyt on live aid, wtg, blond ambition, etc. now that time has passed, its revered like a 5 year old finger fucker jackson. so after the live nation deal is over - just look forward to how much youll love the these latest vocals!!!!

:thumbsup:I couldn't agree more. The old "Minnie Mouse on helium" critique used to bug the shit out of me---now everyone thinks she sounded awesome back then, including myself - but - I've always liked that "voice" from the 80's, as well as the 90's up until now, she just sounds different but I love her new music obviously.

It's always been more than just about her voice to me. She is quite the entertainer. Sometimes her voice is spectacular, while other times it's not. I don't concentrate so much on the live vocals because she does so much other shit live that it's understandable that her voice can't keep up.

However, she can sing. Maybe she's not a song bird like some of those other famous women with great pipes, but I've heard her belt some songs out in her time, that sounded great.

But again... it's all about being an all around entertainer for me.

As the inventor of the term 'crow voice'..I feel that I must speak out.

i'd like 2 point out that it originated during the ROL promo performances referring 2 the rich shrill sounding

textures in her post Evita live voice. Obviously the crow voice evolved (deteriorated?) in the last decade or so.

For more information on The Crow Voice..pm me :fag:

yeah but i kinda sense her voice is fucked cuz she wants 2 use her training technique but at the same time

revisit some of that girlishness.. :confused: or something.

Guest jamesshot

She sounded amazing in the RIT. Most non-fans or casual fans I know always say how fucking amazing she sounded on that tour. Her voice was very strong the entire tour. She def has less stamina now. I think now she is afraid to go off key when she tries for higher notes so she relies on register where she has less power to project.

Srry but she does have a strong voice, just not in a whitney houston kind of way. i hear tons of power in her voice when i hear her sing.

Yes, I remember everyone being amazed when she sang "You Must Love Me" on S&S tour. Mother and Father of RIT was good too. Perhaps she just needs to sit down more often, poor old dear.

I suppose the explosion of youtube in the last few years mean we can see live recordings of tours in their raw form. It's only a few years ago where the only copy we would hear would be the highly tweaked final video version. Now we can see every performance in all its unedited glory. When you are at a live event, the vocals are never so clear that you can hear the faults.

I think the 'crow' comes from Madonna trying to exert extra control over the pitch of her voice with not enough air being pushed through the lungs. That's when the crowness comes in. Most of us can hit the right notes when we're belting it out, it's when there's not much coming through that seperates the good singers from the amazing singers.

This performance is a battle between the crow and the effortless loud singing voice -when she let's it go, it sounds amazing.

I think it has got significantly worse after the fall off the horse -I believe due to her injuries, she began to take less air in her lungs, and I don't think her breath control has ever recovered.

However, I do think she's always had this difficulty with her softer more drawn out voice. I've never seen a good performance of Take A Bow for instance. I just think it's got alot worse with less breath, more energetic dancing, and to be honest, less focus on the voice.

I don't think it's age, otherwise RIT would not have been a vocal peak. Her voice would go down a few octaves with age, but it's not like she's ever fucked the shit out of her voice Mariah style.

Guest jamesshot
UGH! @ the topic at hand...why is her voice even still a big debate?

I know right? Everyone knows she doesn't have the best voice. Neither does Sheryl Crow, Stevie Nicks. Beyonce' and the list goes on and on. Doesn't mean her voice is bad. I thought Madonna put to rest the idea she "can't sing" or whatever shit they say with Sooner or Later, Evita and ROL. Her "fans" are the worst. I think they over-analyze every single performance and hyper-judge everything she does. She is good enough IMO. That is all that matters.

[/b]

whatever, dude. she sounds fantastic - on this last tour alone. vogue, borderline, like a prayer, la isla, and miles away are perfect examples.

there are great and shitty examples of EACH tour.

true PUDDY.

YOU MUST LOVE ME i thought was fantastic live.

:thumbsup:

Guest jamesshot
true PUDDY.

YOU MUST LOVE ME i thought was fantastic live.

:thumbsup:

She got better as the tour went on. There are some very dodgy performances of YMLM. Incidently, the Houston performance is one of her best. She nailed the shit out of it there. She changed the vocal arrangement half-way through the tour and it made all the difference.

She sounded amazing in the RIT. Most non-fans or casual fans I know always say how fucking amazing she sounded on that tour. Her voice was very strong the entire tour. She def has less stamina now. I think now she is afraid to go off key when she tries for higher notes so she relies on register where she has less power to project.

You know, I have to agree. When I heard "Lament" on that tour all I could think was, "Wow!" When she wasn't dancing so much, she had great vocals. It's not my favorite tour by far, but she did sound good on a number of songs.

p.s. My P!NK comment was obviously facetious.

She also got rave reviews from non fans at Live8. People were genuinely surprised at her performance.

She may not have a voice as good as Susan Boyle's but I know who I'd prefer to see live in lycra.

Guest bluejean

I think it has alot to do with song choice as well.

On the last 2 tours the songs she sang didn't really showcase her voice as much. Same goes for the most recent albums. And the newest tour has alot more dancing than Drowned World and Reinvention (where her voice sounded good.)

As for vocal lessons taking the soul out of her voice, there is some truth in that, but there's no way she could have carried on singing as she was on BAT tour after tour. Maybe she doesn't force her voice out as much now, but at least she's not destroying it.

Guest bluejean
I suppose the explosion of youtube in the last few years mean we can see live recordings of tours in their raw form. It's only a few years ago where the only copy we would hear would be the highly tweaked final video version. Now we can see every performance in all its unedited glory. When you are at a live event, the vocals are never so clear that you can hear the faults.

Her voice on live recordings wasn't really tweaked prior to Confessions, perhaps they dubbed in the best takes or added abit of reverb but it's not a huge factor.

I also think performances at award shows and on TV have usually not been as good vocally because she is more nervous than at her own concerts.

Most of her tours she has lip synched the opening song and I bet she chose to do that to take the pressure off herself.

Her voice on live recordings wasn't really tweaked prior to Confessions, perhaps they dubbed in the best takes or added abit of reverb but it's not a huge factor.

I also think performances at award shows and on TV have usually not been as good vocally because she is more nervous than at her own concerts.

Most of her tours she has lip synched the opening song and I bet she chose to do that to take the pressure off herself.

Hmmm..they just went about it in a different way. The main reason why 'Ciao Italia' includes Firenze & Japan

footage r 'vocal issues' :chuckle: I think DWT & Girlie Show r her purest live vocals, both live & on recorded a format.

Guest Pud Whacker

are you kidding blue jean? on the virgin tour - she spent months with pat leonard mixing the sound as she described to molly meldrum in december 1985. the list goes on and on as acko just described...

I fucking LOVE that showcase performance :dramatic:

One of her best live vocals ever. I imagine since it was a showcase and her debut she really made an effort to show she could sing (as with the 1990 Oscars which was basically her Evita audition).

There is of course vocal decline with age but she doesn't seem to rehearse and bother so much with the vocals than the visuals, which is a shame. :thumbsdown: Or maybe that's another excuse. :doofus:

I'm sure Topaz didn't want explanations and knows all this and it was a rhetorical question anyway, just to post the clip.