Appreciate: American Life (the album)

I always read such hate about American Life but I feel like it's one of the best albums she has ever released. Each song has such passion. From the intensity of American Life to the fun ride that is Love Profusion or the beauty of Nothing Fails. I think that it, followed by Erotica were the most daring.

Love this album! One of my favourites, the single AL was a shame and should have never been included and the album should have had a different title. But the album is right up there with Erotica and Like A Prayer as one of Madonna's best. A lot better than Hard Candy and Music.

Guest Pud Whacker
Every record she makes is classic.

AL doesnt disapoint.

even now.

:thumbsup:

american life - absolutely one of my favorites. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Overall AL is very half-assed to me but it does have gems:

American Life

Hollywood

I'm So Stupid

Nobody Knows Me

Mother and Father

Die Another Day

Easy Ride

If there was a time Madonna was hated musically by many it would be AL as evidenced by it's sales and non existent airplay of most singles and generally mediocre reviews. Even most of the fans didn't like it at the time. It had it's few supporters of course (which have seemed to grow over the years) but as a long time Madonna fan I don't remember an album receiving such a seemingly unanimous disdain as AL got upon it's release. Even "The Kiss" couldn't help save this one.

I still say this album has some excellent songwriting, but the production is what cripples it in spots. My entire opinion of the project goes up about 100 points if the title track is jettisoned.

Love it

X-static process is one of my favourite songs of all time of any artist and it's like enlightenment to listen to it, there is something really spiritual about it. the most beautiful song ever.

and Intervention is my next best.. its such a sweet song, the chorus is solid and yet so simple its like love from heaven.

Guest gloriesbarcelona

DEFINITLY in my top 3!!!

I've always screamed it... One of her best work EVER!

i love this album..'intervention' 'mother and father' 'die another day' and 'easy ride' especially. the promo gigs were awsome and she never got credit for the clothes trends she was ahead of at the time (gold shrugs were huge later that year) however the videos and singles choices were a total mess. she should have gone ahead with the original video for 'american life' and then made quality videos for 'nothing fails' 'hollywood' and 'intervention' and i for one loved the re-invention' tour

I still say this album has some excellent songwriting, but the production is what cripples it in spots. My entire opinion of the project goes up about 100 points if the title track is jettisoned.
I feel exactly the same about the production for this and HC. There are some great songs in there but drowning in the production. The mix of AL is bad and suffered from the war video concept too. I love this mix of the song though and I like this video someone has made as it seems to fit the theme of the song.

Removing the heavy Mirwais mixing - it was Madonna that insisted on it, not him - I think this album would be much better received.

Guest Drowned Bedtime
I feel exactly the same about the production for this and HC. There are some great songs in there but drowning in the production. The mix of AL is bad and suffered from the war video concept too. I love this mix of the song though and I like this video someone has made as it seems to fit the theme of the song.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Removing the heavy Mirwais mixing - it was Madonna that insisted on it, not him - I think this album would be much better received.

That mix was awful. Like a BAD reject from Bedtime Stories.

While I love the Mirwais production, I think if she had gone with headcleanr as collaborators, she could have made a brilliant rock album. Their mixes are brilliant.

That mix was awful. Like a BAD reject from Bedtime Stories.

While I love the Mirwais production, I think if she had gone with headcleanr as collaborators, she could have made a brilliant rock album. Their mixes are brilliant.

I loved Bedtime Stories but the headcleanr mixes sucked beyond belief. If I wanted to hear a rock chick, I'll buy Alanis Morrisette or some other winey-assed chick.

Guest Johnkm

One of my favourite albums (albeit massively flawed), Nobody Knows Me, Mother And Father, Hollywood, Easy Ride and I'm So Stupid, the rest is rather lacklustre, not so much Nothing Fails/Intervention/Easy Ride, but even they arent brilliant, I hate the choir on Nothing Fails, American Life the song has a lot going for it, I adore the 'rap' and the 'Fuck Its' on the album version. Love Profusion is just awful in every way, same with X-Static Process, Die Another Day, although brilliant, doesnt really sit well on the album. Like all her 00's albums it has some of my favourite songs and one I hate massively.

DEFINITLY in my top 3!!!

I've always screamed it... One of her best work EVER!

Same here. Love this era and album.

American Life, Hollywood, Nobody Knows Me, Love Profusion, Intervention....too many. Very personal with funky beats. Very Madonna.

I loved Bedtime Stories but the headcleanr mixes sucked beyond belief. If I wanted to hear a rock chick, I'll buy Alanis Morrisette or some other winey-assed chick.

That's kind of how I feel about the album, just replace the "rock chick" with "Lilith Fair sounding chick"....lol. If I want Sheryl Crow or Jewel singing sweet, campfire side songs I will listen to them. That's NOT what I go to Madonna for! But.....M is an artist, she does what she wants and it's cool that she has the balls to even do that sound....so for that I gotta give her props. Unfortunately, for me, it wasn't as pleasureable to the ears as her previous and post efforts.

A for effort though! C for the actual execution!

This album, and espically 'Hollywood' made me a Madonna fan in the first place :thumbsup: !

If I hadn't caught the Hollywood video on TV I prob would never have become a fan at all x

I love the album. I even love the title track. I was sorely disappointed with 'Music,' but 'American Life' really knocked my socks off.

A little anecdote: A few months after 'AL's' release, I was helping my best friend work on a project for her job. I put the 'AL' CD on as we worked. She knew we were listening to Madonna, of course, but didn't know which album it was. About five songs in, she said, "is this her new album -- the one everyone's been bashing?" I told her it was, and she replied, "Why?? It's so damn good."

The next day she called to tell me she went to Circuit City and bought it. :D

I think it's one of her best! - Her look was great - the production was perfect - with Erotica my favourite Madonna record......

her voice is just right in your face - :inlove: it sounds still just as fresh as 2003 ...intervention - X-Static Process - Easy Ride.....