Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums

Madame X album general discussion


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Nonoka said:

Does anyone else feel really satisfied with the tracklisting / sequencing on this album? 

I have to say it's so refreshing to listen through a new M record again without the need to mess with the tracklist. The whole album flows so well from start to finish!

With MDNA, I had to kick out most of the Solveig songs first and reshuffle the whole thing, while with RH I basically created my own album :lol: (albeit a very good one, still love RH). This one is just perfect - despite the variety of styles everything is tied together flawlessly.

I pretty much agree, I listened to the album on shuffle in the gym this morning and it just didn’t feel right. MDNA and RH were just a collection of songs, MX is an album that has a structure and it really works. 

The only difference I would make is to make IDSIF the last song.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys the album gets better and better. I simply ADORE it and in my opinion is her best work since American Life! This album is NEVER going to age, just like AL stlll is pure vanguard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, karbatal said:

Guys the album gets better and better. I simply ADORE it and in my opinion is her best work since American Life! This album is NEVER going to age, just like AL stlll is pure vanguard.

Indeed indeed and in it's original sequencing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, karbatal said:

Guys the album gets better and better. I simply ADORE it and in my opinion is her best work since American Life! This album is NEVER going to age, just like AL stlll is pure vanguard.

+1 it s a really amzing album , thank g*d se still have her in this flat pop culturale scenario

Link to post
Share on other sites

I simply adore this album and - independent of the initial excitement  - it is in fact an instant classic Madonna album. Today I was in the car with someone who was listening to the radio and I couldn't believe my ears, how bad and bland every "modern" song sounded compared to any song on Madame X. It is not necessary to be a Madonna fan to see that and everyone who says the album isn't good is doing that because they obviously don't like Madonna. The album is simply fantastic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I listen to this album, the more it reminds me of Tori Amos' Boys For Pele. Both are sprawling, cryptic albums which while I don't believe are extremely cohesive, work brilliantly as a collection of songs due to the sequencing. Both are probably the hardest albums in their discography for critics, casual fans and the general public to digest. And both are rich and diverse and cover a multitude of genres and sounds that neither artist had done previously in their career. 

This IS her best album in terms of sequencing since Music. And it IS a Madonna ALBUM that's hard to listen to in bits and pieces. For instance, I simply can't listen to Killers Who Are Partying without having Crave come on right after. And while I was listening to Crave on its own for weeks, I need to hear Crazy afterwards. This is exactly how Boys for Pele was for me. It was impossible to listen to Blood Roses without hearing Father Lucifer afterwards. 

Madame X is a fascinating album with a lot of twists and turns. 

With Rebel Heart, she released 3 of her most radio friendly singles since Hung Up to absolutely no avail. Ghosttown and Bitch I'm Madonna ESPECIALLY should have been huge in their own right. And she knows as well as we do that if any other pop artist 30 years younger were to have released them, they would've been huge. I'm happy she didn't double down on that strategy and try to do it again with sugary hits in hopes of radio play. I'm happy made an album on her own terms, knowing full well that nothing she does is going to garner much radio play this late into her career. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

The more I listen to this album, the more it reminds me of Tori Amos' Boys For Pele. Both are sprawling, cryptic albums which while I don't believe are extremely cohesive, work brilliantly as a collection of songs due to the sequencing. Both are probably the hardest albums in their discography for critics, casual fans and the general public to digest. And both are rich and diverse and cover a multitude of genres and sounds that neither artist had done previously in their career. 

This IS her best album in terms of sequencing since Music. And it IS a Madonna ALBUM that's hard to listen to in bits and pieces. For instance, I simply can't listen to Killers Who Are Partying without having Crave come on right after. And while I was listening to Crave on its own for weeks, I need to hear Crazy afterwards. This is exactly how Boys for Pele was for me. It was impossible to listen to Blood Roses without hearing Father Lucifer afterwards. 

Madame X is a fascinating album with a lot of twists and turns. 

With Rebel Heart, she released 3 of her most radio friendly singles since Hung Up to absolutely no avail. Ghosttown and Bitch I'm Madonna ESPECIALLY should have been huge in their own right. And she knows as well as we do that if any other pop artist 30 years younger were to have released them, they would've been huge. I'm happy she didn't double down on that strategy and try to do it again with sugary hits in hopes of radio play. I'm happy made an album on her own terms, knowing full well that nothing she does is going to garner much radio play this late into her career. 

I've made the same comparisons myself with friends. Boys For Pele is exactly like Madame X in this sense. Both incredibly rich, not easy to listen to out of sequence, and sprawling epics. Both so creative and the sequencing really does add to the narrative.

Link to post
Share on other sites

And of course I mentioned the Boys for Pele comparison days ago - every M fan who loves Tori Amos should understand what we are trying to say. The two albums emanate very similar enigmatic vibe. I can also hear traces of Sufjan Stevens, and I would even say that if PJ Harvey ever makes a pop album, it would sound like Madame X

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

And of course I mentioned the Boys for Pele comparison days ago - every M fan who loves Tori Amos should understand what we are trying to say. The two albums emanate very similar enigmatic vibe. I can also hear traces of Sufjan Stevens, and I would even say that if PJ Harvey ever makes a pop album, it would sound like Madame X

I remember you brought this up and yes! Agree 100%. A lot of M fans are also big fans of Tori. It's not really am immediate correlation between fans of such 2 different artists but they are my two favourites . This album is very Tori like 

Link to post
Share on other sites

To all the posters above who made the Boys for Pele comparison: bravo.  What a thoughtful comparison.

Madonna has delivered the best album of 2019.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was already over MDNA at this point, although I grew to like some of the songs later.  Rebel Heart, the final product, I liked at first but really don't ever listen to.

This one I think I will enjoy for life.  Hard Candy I listened to quite a bit the first few months after its release, but only like a handful of the songs now.

Honestly, the is the first album since HC that I actually purchased. Although I streamed the others enough to probably count as a sale.

I like Madame X enough now I understand why people buy collectors/multiple editions now.  I would if I could afford!

Link to post
Share on other sites

At first I thought Rebel Heart was a little better, but now I'm convinced Madame X is one of her best albums ever. It's DEEP. Like, with every listening you discover new things. It hasn't been this way to this degree since Ray of Light, I think..

My fav track is God Control(no shit Sherlock). But I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying Faz Gostoso.

I think Faz Gostoso and God Control need to be major singles. Hopefully Anitta will make a video with Madonna. If I were Anitta I'd shop for financing myself. It's a huge career highlight to have a video with Madonna.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rocknrolla said:

I was already over MDNA at this point, although I grew to like some of the songs later.  Rebel Heart, the final product, I liked at first but really don't ever listen to.

This one I think I will enjoy for life.  Hard Candy I listened to quite a bit the first few months after its release, but only like a handful of the songs now.

Honestly, the is the first album since HC that I actually purchased. Although I streamed the others enough to probably count as a sale.

I like Madame X enough now I understand why people buy collectors/multiple editions now.  I would if I could afford!

I listen to music primarily on Spotify, but I still buy Madonna’s CDs and have them all displayed face out on a book shelf along with some other album covers that I like.  I enjoy still having a physical collection even though it’s much smaller than in the past, especially for she and Tori Amos.  And I like having all of the covers, although to be honest I’ll never once play the standard edition of this album because it’s not the authentic version to me.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2019 at 2:04 AM, poprock said:

I can't stop listening to Medellín! It blows my mind that it wasn't a more successful single. 

Wiki it, it's done pretty well worldwide top 10 in over 10countries and lots of top 20 positions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

And of course I mentioned the Boys for Pele comparison days ago - every M fan who loves Tori Amos should understand what we are trying to say. The two albums emanate very similar enigmatic vibe. I can also hear traces of Sufjan Stevens, and I would even say that if PJ Harvey ever makes a pop album, it would sound like Madame X

Thanks for the reminder. And continuously telling us what we should and should not understand. 

63B03071-C864-4846-8009-3A79F52B87DF.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

Thanks for the reminder. And continuously telling us what we should and should not understand. 

63B03071-C864-4846-8009-3A79F52B87DF.gif

Agreed. And PJ Harvey did make a pop album. Two actually. One was called To Bring You My Love, and the other was Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea.

I was also happy to hear from Madonna’s mouth that the finger snaps in I Don’t Search are actually sampled from Vogue. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know i'm gonna sound ignorant but I don't know who this PJ is, and Tori I heard about it here but never listen to her. Shoud I? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dany Targaryen said:

At first I thought Rebel Heart was a little better, but now I'm convinced Madame X is one of her best albums ever. It's DEEP. Like, with every listening you discover new things. It hasn't been this way to this degree since Ray of Light, I think..

My fav track is God Control(no shit Sherlock). But I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying Faz Gostoso.

I think Faz Gostoso and God Control need to be major singles. Hopefully Anitta will make a video with Madonna. If I were Anitta I'd shop for financing myself. It's a huge career highlight to have a video with Madonna.

Totally agree with all of this. 

I was so excited about the album release last week but various things happening meant I couldn't really take it in. A week later, I'm really appreciating it. It's still a honeymoon period for me so I don't know where I'll rank it in future, but I know it will stand the test of time. Weird that it covers so many styles but feels like such a complete album. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Boys For Pele is my favourite Tori Amos album too...masterpiece!

Madame X grows with each listen, I wouldn't change anything but some songs do stand out.

I adore Extreme Occident, Looking For Mercy, Crazy, I Don't Search I Find, Come Alive, Batuka and God Control... all 10/10

Link to post
Share on other sites

The music is so rewarding that I haven’t said a word about how much I love the cd booklet and the photography.  One of my favorites of all her cd booklets, and that is saying a lot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, stevo208 said:

I remember you brought this up and yes! Agree 100%. A lot of M fans are also big fans of Tori. It's not really am immediate correlation between fans of such 2 different artists but they are my two favourites . This album is very Tori like 

:wow: Only Madonna could create an album with a cover of "Faz Gostoso" on it AND make it HER Boys for Pele. She crazy :rotfl:

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, YannBouch said:

Tori I heard about it here but never listen to her. Shoud I? 

Absolutely. She’s written some of the most gorgeous songs I’ve ever heard. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TXIII said:

Yeah, this album is still being played from start to finish by me. I just really love it! 

Same here. At first, and I am ashamed to say this as a long time fan, I wasn't sure I liked it, but, with every listen I am hooked that much more. It's like listening to an epic movie or this huge life journey full of all of its ups and downs, and unpredictable crazy twists and turns. So much depth and creativity which isn't always pretty or something one agrees with but, that's the brilliance of it.  Just phenomenal!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...