“Crave” thread

2 hours ago, karbatal said:

Anybody bored with tracks only weeks after their release are not fans. Period. 

That’s a really stupid thing to say. 

1 hour ago, Steve said:

🏻💯 ....brush, flush, purge non fans if they won’t leave voluntarily 

Being a fan does not mean blindly subscribing to everything an artist does. That’s called being a mindless shill. Deal with it. 

Edited by bcx

11 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

If Madonna has to die first to be "cool" with the teens, I'd rather have her remain uncool. 

Madonna is cool and well alive. 🙂

Just now, Danmacevents said:

Crave video YouTube app promo in times Square on her insta story 

OMG really ? What Crave was promoted on one of the big screens ?

4 minutes ago, Confessit said:

OMG really ? What Crave was promoted on one of the big screens ?

Yes advertising YouTube app. It's in her Instagram story not profile X 

1 minute ago, Danmacevents said:

Yes advertising YouTube app. It's in her Instagram story not profile X 

I'm not on my phone at minute to see it but that's amazing. X

3 hours ago, karbatal said:

Anybody bored with tracks only weeks after their release are not fans. Period. 

I was bored with the tracks the moment I heard them. I guess I'm not a fan. 😅

1 hour ago, bcx said:

Being a fan does not mean blindly subscribing to everything an artist does. That’s called being a mindless shill. Deal with it. 

Thank you for this. The delusion here sometimes is unbelievable. 

I don’t think it has anything to do with being a sycophant or blindly subscribing to everything an artist does, but you are correct. We are all entitled to our opinions and we should be able to share them on a forum. 

However, if you find that music has no replay value, maybe that’s more testament to how fickle we have become as consumers, and how we approach pop culture in an era of dwindling attention spans and superfluous choice. I think that in order for a song to become a classic, it has to accompany us in our experiences and our emotions. It has to become a part of the fabric of our lives by how we feel at the time we discover it and listen to it. The older we get, the more of an effort we have to make to invest in our experiences because we have had so many already! Nothing is ever going to feel quite the same to me as the first time I heard Papa Don’t Preach, This Used To Be My Playground or Frozen. But nothing will feel the same as the first time I heard Crave either! Just a different perspective, but I hope these songs all become the soundtrack of our lives in the best way possible. And here’s to the songs we have yet to discover!

2 hours ago, Aime said:

Ugh, she's so fucking cool. Falling in love with her all over again.

And I get to copy a Madonna hairdo! Haven’t done that for awhile!

1 hour ago, karbatal said:

You haven't posted anything positive in this era.

Well, I can't help that I'm not feeling this era. I'm sure there will be stuff on the album I like but I have not connected to the tracks released so far. Other than that, I love the theme of the album, the artwork, the interviews, etc.

40 minutes ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

Well, I can't help that I'm not feeling this era. I'm sure there will be stuff on the album I like but I have not connected to the tracks released so far. Other than that, I love the theme of the album, the artwork, the interviews, etc.

So what, it's totally fine. You're a fan, of course you're going to support her in every way. We need to respect other people's opinion. She didn't even start with a proper promo tour yet, it's going to be a fun ride!!! I'm not blown away with the singles, but this is sort of a beginning and I can't wait to experience the rest of this era ❤

Crave got potentional for the radio hit, it seems general audience like it

@vertigokane Good promo! Tnx Versace

So, Crave doesn’t work on Virgin Media YouTube channel? It plays 5 seconds then cuts off and goes to Medellín . I’ve tried rebooting but nothing.

1 minute ago, tasteinmen said:

So, Crave doesn’t work on Virgin Media YouTube channel? It plays 5 seconds then cuts off and goes to Medellín . I’ve tried rebooting but nothing.

You know what I've had a similar issue watching the video on YouTube and halfway through it stops and switches to the audio of Future.

1 hour ago, Herfaceremains said:

I don’t think it has anything to do with being a sycophant or blindly subscribing to everything an artist does, but you are correct. We are all entitled to our opinions and we should be able to share them on a forum. 

However, if you find that music has no replay value, maybe that’s more testament to how fickle we have become as consumers, and how we approach pop culture in an era of dwindling attention spans and superfluous choice. I think that in order for a song to become a classic, it has to accompany us in our experiences and our emotions. It has to become a part of the fabric of our lives by how we feel at the time we discover it and listen to it. The older we get, the more of an effort we have to make to invest in our experiences because we have had so many already! Nothing is ever going to feel quite the same to me as the first time I heard Papa Don’t Preach, This Used To Be My Playground or Frozen. But nothing will feel the same as the first time I heard Crave either! Just a different perspective, but I hope these songs all become the soundtrack of our lives in the best way possible. And here’s to the songs we have yet to discover!

This is a thoughtful response. Sometimes we do respond to art in ways that aren’t entirely authentic or fair. Absolutely. But sometimes the art isn’t affecting, or sophisticated, or interesting, or fun. This album is much stronger than her other post-Warner albums, but I don’t think it’s entirely unreasonable to say that these three albums have not been the masterpieces that True Blue, Like a Prayer, Erotica, Bedtime Stories, Ray of Light, Music, American Life (my opinion), or Confessions were. Those albums are timeless and accomplished and they contributed something of lasting value to our culture and to American pop music in general. But when I listen to songs like “I Don’t Give A,” “Holy Water,” or “I Rise,” I don’t hear the same originality in the lyrics, the melody, the production, or the vocal. I don’t see it in the promotion. I see an artist who is preoccupied with reiterating what has been successful for her in the past, tapping into nostalgia, and revisiting the religious and political themes she’s been exploring for years. That doesn’t mean the music doesn’t have value. But I don’t personally find it compelling. 

Edited by bcx

3 minutes ago, Confessit said:

You know what I've had a similar issue watching the video on YouTube and halfway through it stops and switches to the audio of Future.

It’s playing now. Glitched upload? Does that happen with YouTube?

Just now, tasteinmen said:

It’s playing now. Glitched upload? Does that happen with YouTube?

It's hasn't for me before and I have Virgin Media as well.

1 minute ago, Confessit said:

It's hasn't for me before and I have Virgin Media as well.

I spoke too soon, it just cut off half way through.  Nightmare

Just now, tasteinmen said:

I spoke too soon, it just cut off half way through.  Nightmare

It's so annoying but I hope it's not happening for the video elsewhere. 

38 minutes ago, bcx said:

This is a thoughtful response. Sometimes we do respond to art in ways that aren’t entirely authentic or fair. Absolutely. But sometimes the art isn’t affecting, or sophisticated, or interesting, or fun. This album is much stronger than her other post-Warner albums, but I don’t think it’s entirely unreasonable to say that these three albums have not been the masterpieces that True Blue, Like a Prayer, Erotica, Bedtime Stories, Ray of Light, Music, American Life (my opinion), or Confessions were. Those albums are timeless and accomplished and they contributed something of lasting value to our culture and to American pop music in general. But when I listen to songs like “I Don’t Give A,” “Holy Water,” or “I Rise,” I don’t hear the same originality in the lyrics, the melody, the production, or the vocal. I don’t see it in the promotion. I see an artist who is preoccupied with reiterating what has been successful for her in the past, tapping into nostalgia, and revisiting the religious and political themes she’s been exploring for years. That doesn’t mean the music doesn’t have value. But I don’t personally find it compelling. 

Understood. But I’d argue that in terms of lyrics, the songs you gave as examples actually include some of her greatest and most intriguing lyrics. If you’re comparing them to the albums you hold in high esteem, do you really find the new songs are more lacking in originality and less meticulously crafted than, say, “I’ve had other guys, I’ve looked into their eyes”, “Pink elephants and lemonade”, “I’m not sorry, I’m not your bitch, don’t hang your shit on me”, or “I like to singy singy singy, like a bird on a wingy wingy wingy”? I’m not being antagonistic! I’m just pointing out that there have been many past songs that are classics that were at the time either savaged, dismissed as filler or found to be too reflective of the current style. Madonna always did it better, even when it was slightly derivative or shallow... Because it was Madonna! That’s sort of how I see songs like Future or Crave. Upon first listen, many fans were jarred by the almost purist reggae of Future, and the vocal effect was met with disappointment because the assumption seems to be that she uses it because she can’t sing or something! 😝 With Crave, the mere mention of trap was enough to make some dismiss the song as trite. I wouldn’t normally listen to a basic r n b ballad or latin reggaeton, but Madonna has a way of taking me there every time. And the next thing you know, I’m a Maluma and a Swae Lee fan when I tried to avoid Despacito, Jennifer Lopez and Drake like the plague forever! I also know there is a true artistic tilt about to happen when the album is released. Because no one is expecting what she is going to deliver. She knows exactly what she’s doing! 

Unfortunately you won’t get too many thoughtful responses either! I sometimes post near-novels and feel I’m expressing some type of Madonna community galvanizer, but they disappear in a sea of some other form of fandom. I just bring what I can to the table. Hope you find your Madame X groove when you discover the next phase! 

Edited by Herfaceremains

1 hour ago, M_Sinner said:

So what, it's totally fine. You're a fan, of course you're going to support her in every way. We need to respect other people's opinion. She didn't even start with a proper promo tour yet, it's going to be a fun ride!!! I'm not blown away with the singles, but this is sort of a beginning and I can't wait to experience the rest of this era ❤

Crave got potentional for the radio hit, it seems general audience like it

@vertigokane Good promo! Tnx Versace

Thank you! I still want the best for M. I pre-ordered the album and requested tickets for the tour. I'm thinking these songs will work better for me in the context of the album. Can't wait.

20 minutes ago, johndvd25 said:

Love this article!

Madonna & Swae Lee Unveil Sleek, Cinematic “Crave” Video

It has been an interesting week for Madonna. Her Eurovision performance was roundly criticized (unfairly, in my opinion), but it’s going to take more than a minor backlash to keep the Queen of Pop down. The ballsiest 60-year-old on the planet bounces back today (May 22) by unveiling the video for “Crave.” Directed by Nuno Xico, the sleek, beautifully-shot visual is wonderfully understated. As much as I love the high camp and extravagance of “Medellín,” this is M’s most contemporary offering in a very long time.

If any song from Madame X is going to overcome the daunting hurdle of ageism, it’s “Crave.” The hip-hop/pop concoction, which is the handiwork of Billboard and Mike Dean, oozes longing and desire. It’s also a deceptively catchy grower that lingers in the mind long after the song ends. Madonna will release “Dark Ballet” as the last pre-release buzz track on June 7, but I’m already confident that this is the enduring hitmaker’s best album in years. Watch the Queen strut her stuff alongside Swae Lee below.