Rebel Heart Vs. MDNA

Guest bluejean

Guest bluejean

Okay so knowing I'm going to the Madonna concert next week my friend started playing Madonna to help me get excited.

And he played some of Rebel Heart then he flicked to MDNA and I HAVE to say... How much more proud I am to be a fan when he played Rebel Heart.

As he flicked through GGW, TUTR, GMAYL, Superstar and so on and so fourth I just cringed at the sound of the generic, cookie cutter music on MDNA. I mean of course I loved it all at the time and I still enjoy it but the quality of RH is just much much superior. It's the work of a real pop artist.

I'm not wanting to bash MDNA necessarily but it's funny how what you think of an album can really become bleedingly obvious when a non fan is there listening to it with you. Confessions is another one he played that I just thought yes, this is why I'm proud to be a fan. Then he played Frozen and was singing along to every word. I was surprised actually cos he would have been 5 when that one came out :lol:

Not sure I get the point of threads like this. I feel like MDNA was the only album she could have made at the time, and it opened the door for Rebel Heart to exist.

If you think MDNA is generic compared to Rebel Heart then cool, but a whole thread dedicated to it? Really?

Rebel Heart is my favourite Madonna album of all time - it used to be Like a Prayer - but I enjoy MDNA and love so many songs on it. Even the songs that have been listed here as "cookie-cutter and generic" are enjoyable pop songs to me. Still love MDNA and never ashamed of it.

I love MDNA as an album. She wanted to do a dance record and she did. Even if Everybody hates SUPERSTAR which is a really cool song,

For me, RH shines in its best tracks not as an entire album. I know it's the craziness of the Rebel and the Heart sides but I listening to the entire album sometimes tire me out. :chuckle: I guess i overplayed the 25 songs.

But yes back to MDNA. It's a journey from start to finish. I cannot relate to the dislike of this album. If all singles were hits, people would be singing a different tune.

MDNA has really good songs (Falling Free, Love Spent, I'm addicted...) but they are doomed by poor production and mixing. In fact i would even say it's criminal that such good tracks were ruined by bad production and mixing choices. On the other hand GGW and Superstar are pure garbage. Hey You is miles above GGW, it's just a shitty song, i feel like somebody is throwing buckets full of shit in my face whenever i hear it and it never happenned with a Madonna track before for me. I could go on and on about how i want to murder this track and no, MDNA tour did not redeemed it for me.

MDNA has really good songs (Falling Free, Love Spent, I'm addicted...) but they are doomed by poor production and mixing. In fact i would even say it's criminal that such good tracks were ruined by bad production and mixing choices. On the other hand GGW and Superstar are pure garbage. Hey You is miles above GGW, it's just a shitty song, i feel like somebody is throwing buckets full of shit in my face whenever i hear it and it never happenned with a Madonna track before for me. I could go on and on about how i want to murder this track and no, MDNA tour did not redeemed it for me.

Roland, Madonna's reaction to hearing you hate GGW. :lol:

giphy.gif

MDNA has some gems, and gave me some of my favorite Madonna songs ever. (Gang Bang, Falling Free, Beautiful Killer), but it also had some clunkers. Superstar being one of the worst abominations of her career in my opinion.

I love everything about Rebel Heart.

Guest eroticerotic

I actually like both. Rebel Heart is more singer/songwriter based, and warm, progressive where as MDNA is very much a sound, crisp, fun. Both contain some of her best songs ever!

Rebel Heart touched all the right cords inside me. It's an incredible album from start to finish and my favorite album from her alongside Bedtime Stories... But I'll always have a soft spot for MDNA, I love it. Beautiful Killer, I'm Addicted, Love Spent, Falling Free are among her best songs ever!

This is a strange comparison, because I like both for different reasons.

Rebel Heart touched all the right cords inside me. It's an incredible album from start to finish and my favorite album from her alongside Bedtime Stories... But I'll always have a soft spot for MDNA, I love it. Beautiful Killer, I'm Addicted, Love Spent, Falling Free are among her best songs ever!

Totally agree with you here. Rebel heart is my all time favourite album but MDNA is very under-rated in my book. People seem to always talk about the songs they don't like and ignore that there are many songs that they love. The ones you mentioned are brilliant songs and I would also add Masterpiece. Plus I like the carefree pop songs on it as well.

It definitely feels like she put a lot more effort into RH, from the songwriting to amount of versions, etc. Not that she didn't put any effort at all into MDNA, but RH feels like there is a lot more going on.... and just the sheer amount of songs (even ones that didn't make the cut).

MDNA had too many throwaway tracks. It's something you would expect from say a Britney album......not Madonna. However there are a few gems on there.

Rebel Heart is far superior in every way. It actually feels like a Madonna album. My only complaint is that it's a bit too lengthy for my taste but at the same time....I love the extra songs.

MDNA had too many throwaway tracks. It's something you would expect from say a Britney album......not Madonna. However there are a few gems on there.

Rebel Heart is far superior in every way. It actually feels like a Madonna album. My only complaint is that it's a bit too lengthy for my taste but at the same time....I love the extra songs.

Exactly my thoughts. Wonderful album.

Rebel Heart is a better album in my opinion.

But I feel like MDNA had more songs whose melody was moving, was perfect to create choreographies for, that were literally made to be performed live. Like Girl Gone Wild, GangBang, Beautiful Killer, I'm Addicted...

Edited by MonsieurB

RH is really a labor of love for M and the quality of it reflects that. She dedicated an entire year to its production and was actively involved in practically every step along way. With MDNA she was distracted and removed from the production much more than with RH - she had W.E., the Super Bowl and the tour to focus on. I agree that MDNA is sort of Britney-esque in terms of its attention to detail and M's overall input - however I still like a lot and certainly don't feel as negatively about it as some of y'all.