Why do we hate her guitar?

drunkbysix

Unlike dancing and sexiness,

unfortunately, guitar playing just does not come naturally to Madonna, and it shows. she really does have to focus and concentrate too much on cords, fingering etc where as others can just whip out the guitar and play it naturally, because of born/ natural talent?

Madonna should focus on her strengths! I would love too see the tambourine make a come back like in the virgin tour, an underrated musical instrument!

I Don't Give A - fantastic, love the screens, the darkness, Nicki's rap, the choreography etc, it's Human Nature's cousin for sure. This is how Madonna should perform her guitar songs, either stripped right back or brilliantly executed into an epicly staged high point in the show. Not lazy like Secret or Burning Up. Love how she lierally spits out the lyrics.

Turn Up The Radio - Same as above - PERFECT!

I'm a Sinner - Same as above - PERFECT! Love it! MDNA really is the tour to end all tours.

YES YES YES!!!!!! I'm a Sinner is one of my very favorite performances of that entire concert. The guitar was perfect!!!

Unlike dancing and sexiness,

unfortunately, guitar playing just does not come naturally to Madonna, and it shows. she really does have to focus and concentrate too much on cords, fingering etc where as others can just whip out the guitar and play it naturally, because of born/ natural talent?

Madonna should focus on her strengths! I would love too see the tambourine make a come back like in the virgin tour, an underrated musical instrument!

Even the greatest guitar players constantly look at the cord changes and the down at their guitars and are extremely focused. I love many guitar players so I have watched how they work. It's the creation of myth from the media (and the public's perception) praising some people to the high heavens and putting others down. The ones generally praised are men as just having to whip out the guitar and create magic. The media has done their best to put Madonna down the last thirty years and created a perception. The best guitar players have worked morning, noon and night on playing the guitar since they were small and still focus if they are really good. They got great on it because they practiced. They practiced, they worked. The passion has to be there.

Madonna plays the guitar fine and if she practiced it more doing nothing else she would play even better. Is she passionate about guitar playing? I don't know. Guitar playing may not be her main focus but if it was she could play very well. I personally think she respects and appreciates the sound that it creates. Especially in how it formed American Life.

I don't have Madonna's guitars. I like Madonna's guitars.

In fact, M's guitar playing on the DWT inspired me to start playing the guitar myself.

However, Ivy has a very good point:

^ No one can just pick up an instrument and just magically know how to play it. Possibly Mozart did, who knows. Being very good at something takes hard work and passion above everything. The best gutairists in the world will tell you how much time it took them learning to play well. Only the most conceited won't. I've been able to draw and paint since I can remember but learning and practicing makes me better.

^ No one can just pick up an instrument and just magically know how to play it. Possibly Mozart did, who knows. Being very good at something takes hard work and passion above everything. The best gutairists in the world will tell you how much time it took them learning to play well. Only the most conceited won't. I've been able to draw and paint since I can remember but learning and practicing makes me better.

I know, but my point is that M tends to focus so much on her guitar when she plays it that she neglects her vocals during those performances.

I picked up the Oboe when I was 6 and I just figured it out on my own in less than a month. By the time my beginners classes for kids started I was put directly into my county's youth orchestra. I can't explain it, but it just made perfect sense to me. i obviously wasn't an expert and I learned so much for over a decade after that, but some people really do just magically know how to play instruments.

Madonna's problem is that she's so damn afraid of making a mistake that she always comes off as so damn tense. I'm sure after a few drinks (but not too many) and in an intimate environment she's a much better and natural guitar player.

Wasn't there a rumor at one point during the making of S & S Tour, that M would be performing Impressive Instant on guitar with samples of burning up mixed into the track.

THe rumor was that II would be performed right after 4 MIN, but LAP wind up replacing II instead.

Guest Rachelle of London

Wasn't there a rumor at one point during the making of S & S Tour, that M would be performing Impressive Instant on guitar with samples of burning up mixed into the track.

THe rumor was that II would be performed right after 4 MIN, but LAP wind up replacing II instead.

Yeah it's in YouTube. Just type in burning up vs impressive instant

Yes, and it leaked and it's amazing. Should've replaced 4 Minutes tbh.

whenever i visit that site my computer crashes. no joke.

Same here.

But it's an interesting site, as it's been around for years and years. They still have threads from last decade on there

Lots of Mafonna talk. Always pops up on my search engine

is it me, or her only solo riff was in Candy Perfume Girl and never again?

As a guitar player, I can say this: Guitar snobs found her guitar solo on "Candy Perfume Girl" on Drowned World Tour laughable. It was akin to Neil Youngs guitar solo on "Cinnamon Girl": all ONE NOTE.

Madonna HAS improved but, she will NEVER be a great guitar player because one has to practice to master anything. Lately Madonna seems more concerned with other things (MDNA Skin, Gyms, Clothing lines). For someone who claims that it's "always been about the music", it's disappointing.

I've always found that every Madonna does is effortless. Except for her guitar playing .

I think she picked the guitar up again at a perfect time. Girl ain't 28 no more so she's gotta have some down time during her shows and the guitar is the perfect way to fill that down time. There are a couple performances that are a bit zzzzzzzz but overall I love Guitardonna. I really wish she would get more into it actually......not that I want to see a more guitar heavy show as I thought MDNA was perfect with the number of guitar songs, but I would like to see her do a killer solo that would blow all the rock snobs away.

Guest Xanthium

I don't hate the guitar but it's hit or miss for me. I feel like when she does one guitar performance per segment that she's doing it as a breather only.

As a guitar player, I can say this: Guitar snobs found her guitar solo on "Candy Perfume Girl" on Drowned World Tour laughable. It was akin to Neil Youngs guitar solo on "Cinnamon Girl": all ONE NOTE.

Madonna HAS improved but, she will NEVER be a great guitar player because one has to practice to master anything. Lately Madonna seems more concerned with other things (MDNA Skin, Gyms, Clothing lines). For someone who claims that it's "always been about the music", it's disappointing.

OMG.......being a pop artist involves more than music.