MADONNA SoundScan Sales- 2007/2008

HolidayGuy

Unlike some people, I have no issue with the track selection on GHV2- well, maybe some of the album versions could have been on there (esp. when, say, the DTM album version is). But, the few ballad hits can stay on STR, that's a-ok with me- they're fine and lovely, mind you.

GHV2 was just limited, at least initially, since it didn't have any new material and it wasn't her commercial peak (look at U2's two volumes- the second didnt' do as well as the first, and even the first is no Immaculate Collection in terms of sales). Just wondering if a bigger, career-comprehensive compilation is released, if that will push GHV2 sales even lower (if that's possible!)

Unlike some people, I have no issue with the track selection on GHV2- well, maybe some of the album versions could have been on there (esp. when, say, the DTM album version is). But, the few ballad hits can stay on STR, that's a-ok with me- they're fine and lovely, mind you.

it´s simple: first, new material, Like a flower for example.Then, no radio edits, Don´t cry for me argentina´s Miami mix, and speaking about the ballads, Rain (radio edit, or that one, different fom the one on STR, and very beautiful in my opinion) and the long version of TUTBMP

it´s simple: first, new material, Like a flower for example.Then, no radio edits, Don´t cry for me argentina´s Miami mix, and speaking about the ballads, Rain (radio edit, or that one, different fom the one on STR, and very beautiful in my opinion) and the long version of TUTBMP

The possibilities for putting different versions of the chosen tracks would have made quite a difference in my opinion. Using the single version of Rain (since STR had the album version), the single remix of Bedtime Story, the Miami mix edit of DCFMA, the radio edit of DTM, the single version of WIFLFAG, including the Orbit remix of IR (as STR had the original version) for starters. Oh, and of course, a new track. It could have been a remixed version of a track off "Music" or a brand new track. And putting the whole thing in chronological order wouldn't have hurt either. Even calling it "The Immaculate Collection Vol 2" would have given peiople the impression that it was the natural successor to TIC, and we all know how much that has sold so far...

Anyway, this would've been my tracklisting:

1.Erotica (radio edit)

2.Deeper & Deeper (radio edit)

3.Rain (radio remix)

4.I'll Remember (Orbit remix)

5.Secret (radio edit)

6.Take A Bow (radio edit)

7.Bedtime Story (single remix)

8.Human Nature (radio version)

9.Don't Cry For Me Argentina (miami mix edit)

10.Frozen (radio edit)

11.Ray Of Light (radio edit)

12.The Power of Goodbye (album version)

13.Beautiful Stranger (radio edit)

14.Music (album version)

15.Don't Tell Me (radio edit)

16.What It Feels Like For A Girl (Tracey Young radio remix)

17.New track

Despite the varying styles, it flows surprisingly well.

1.Erotica (radio edit)

2.Deeper & Deeper (radio edit)

3.Rain (radio remix)

4.I'll Remember (Orbit remix)

5.Secret (radio edit)

6.Take A Bow (radio edit)

7.Bedtime Story (single remix)

8.Human Nature (radio version)

9.Don't Cry For Me Argentina (miami mix edit)

10.Frozen (radio edit)

11.Ray Of Light (radio edit)

12.The Power of Goodbye (album version)

13.Beautiful Stranger (radio edit)

14.Music (album version)

15.Don't Tell Me (radio edit)

16.What It Feels Like For A Girl (Tracey Young radio remix)

17.New track

lovely tracklisting, but i'd take off WIFLFAG and put in AMERICAN PIE for more international appeal...

Guest Joey's Hung Up On Madonna

GHV2 is so awful - If they were going to do it, first of all, don't include all the singles from BS - In fact, seriously, all that was needed was Take a Bow and Secret - Though the title track did do well in UK. But the UK can get a benefit later with American Pie, I think.

I know Madge isn't too fond of American Pie but it was really huge around the world. The edits on GHV2 are weird and terrible for the most part. I think the reason 'Playground' and 'I'll Remember' aren't on GHV2 is because they're on STR - Which almost makes it seem too soon to release another compilation, I know Madonna didn't want to. But both those songs were huge, so I dunno.

What It Feels Like for a Girl didn't need to be on there. Drowned World definitley didn't - It wasn't huge anywhere. Basically any other single she released would have been better like perhaps You'll See.

All in all, it's just a bad collection. She could have included Like a Flower or something as a new song - Where was Your Honesty when GHV2 came out? It could have been huge, I think, in the states, especially at the time. YH would have moved more copies for GHV2 by far then it ever could for R&R.

But you know what? GHV2 was years ago - Nothing we can do. But I'd definitley tell Madonna's team to lay off compilations and remix albums...

jhuom, we're not going to go on with this again, are we? ;-)

Fans will think differently- I think GHV2's tracklist is just fine, as I don't necessarily want to see the biggest hits (perchart number) on a GH. If that were the case, WTG and CAC would be on TIC- and there's no way the either could knock off any of the 15 classics that ended up on the album.

Point is, though, that GHV2 definitely had some strikes against it- even if a coupleof the STR tracks were on there and the album still had no new tracks, I don't think it would have mattered much in terms of sales.

Guest Joey's Hung Up On Madonna

hahaha i know holidayguy, but this topic comes up every other page and then you say you like it so then i always say i dont haha :p

Guest nothingfails0603

COADF is now on sale at Borders for 9.99, I saw it at two separate Borders this weekend. Hopefully this can help sales a bit because I know TIC always does great whenever it's on sale for 9.99, and LAV saw it's best weeks in years earlier this year when Target had it on sale

LAV probably benefited from that 200 Albums promo. And, unfortunately, TIC hasn't been in the catalog top 50 in two years- seems only the Wal-Mart rollback really pushes it, rather than sale pricing at other outlets.

I was really surprised with the music stores in DC this summer: they are really bad.I used to think that the ones in my city were the worst, but they even have madonna´s singles (OK, only in Fnac,but "El corte inglés", the other big one, has all madonna´s CDs)!!!! and in DC, well, I saw COADF, Erotica, AL, And LAV all the time, but LAP for example...no.On the other hand, she was probably the only artist with maxis, but only her last ones, Get together and Jump.

DC stores can be really hit or miss. Some of them do carry the maxi singles which is nice, but like you said, only the recent ones.

as for her cds...kinda surprised you saw EROTICA at all. that is NEVER seen in this area except at places like BORDERS. those types of stores carry almost all her catalog. I was at a BORDERS a week or so ago and they had EROTICA and BEDTIME STORIES which shocked the shit out of me. places like BEST BUY only carry like 1 copy of Confessions, 1 of a random cd and then the collection and thats it. they've had the same two copies of the Confessions tour since it came out.

speaking of Target, our Target stores dont have a Madonna section either. Not that Target has 'sections'....the slots there are big enough for what? 2 cds?

my view on GHV2...i didnt mind it, it was what it was, but i did like the cover, and the photo collection inside was nice. Hated the write up though, totally not funny

Most of the Best Buys I've been to in and around NYC have most if not all her albums stocked.

Best Buy is considered a chain store. They usually stock all the albums by an artist.

Target is an example of a mass merchant store that only stocks a few albums by an artist.

Guest Beautiful Stranger

Is it safe to say COADF has passed 1.65 million?

I remember it was at 1.644 million or something like that last time we got weekly numbers.

Guest Beautiful Stranger

Oops... sorry. I thought it had been longer. :lol:

So maybe by the end of October? Just because 1.65 million will be the last "milestone" it reaches until it hits 1.7 million, which is a ways off. :lol:

Guest nothingfails0603

CONFESSIONS ON A DANCE FLOOR IS A DAMN FLOP PEOPLE. 1.6 MILLION? HA!! BEDTIME STORIES, A GOOD MADONNA ALBUM SOLD 2.3 MILLION [even tho the album has 11 years on Confessions, was released in a better sales climate and had two singles that radio played to death]. CONFESSIONS WAS A FLOP AT SELLING 1.6 MILLION BECAUSE RADIO WON'T EVEN TOUCH THAT CRAP, IT WASN'T A HIT 1.6 MILLION SELLER LIKE SHAKIRA AND NELLY FURTADO WHO AT LEAST GOT AIRPLAY TO SELL THAT MUCH. MADONNA HAD AUDACITY NOT WORKING WITH JERMAINE DUPRI, INSTEAD SHE WORKS WITH HACKS. WE DON'T WANT DANCE MUSIC MADONNA, WE WANT "BOUNCE WITH ME". OH YEA, YOU GUYS ARE ALL A BUNCH OF FAGS.

:crazy:

sorry, I was just possessed by the spirit of the recently deceased