COVID-19 aka Coronavirus

On 7/27/2020 at 11:05 AM, karbatal said:

Uk establishing a quarantine for people coming from Spain:rotfl:

Well that's been the strategy for centuries: make the others appear as the culprit. Hence Brexit

:chuckle:👍

3 hours ago, XXL said:

:chuckle:👍

I'm live in Germany now and you can't believe how incredibly CARELESS are the people. Picnics with lots of people in park, all eating PACKED in terasses, all children playing together, mask not mandatory in the street... This virus affects more depending on the race and genes. PERIOD. If we did all this in Spain we would be all dead.

The epidemic narrative has been incredibly racist. One person at work had the nerve to tell me that in Spain cases are rising because we party too much. Sigmund Freud, analyse this. "Party, the one you have every day in parks",  answered.

49 minutes ago, karbatal said:

I'm live in Germany now and you can't believe how incredibly CARELESS are the people. Picnics with lots of people in park, all eating PACKED in terasses, all children playing together, mask not mandatory in the street... This virus affects more depending on the race and genes. PERIOD. If we did all this in Spain we would be all dead.

The epidemic narrative has been incredibly racist. One person at work had the nerve to tell me that in Spain cases are rising because we party too much. Sigmund Freud, analyse this. "Party, the one you have every day in parks",  answered.

I would expect Germans to be usually very well behaved in these matters. Say like Denmark would be  What you're reporting is interesting and very telling instead. Either way, latest developments in continental Europe in general are not good. People are slipping into self-complacent mode again. Very dangerous for the coming cold months

3 minutes ago, XXL said:

I would expect Germans to be usually very well behaved in these matters. Say like Denmark would be  What you're reporting is interesting and very telling instead. Either way, latest developments in continental Europe in general are not good. People are slipping into self-complacent mode again. Very dangerous for the coming cold months

They are very well behaved. It's simply that the rules are soooooo relaxed! 

I have another theory too: that countries like Germany maybe are more efficient with new hot spots. That may be another reason. But really, if they have suddenly more cases from people coming home from the holidays and they don't get high number of infections, then I really don't understand this virus AT ALL

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-doctor-warns-chronically-ill-patients-young-people-take-covid-19-seriously/

"I am very worried about a new generation of chronically ill patients," Kass said. 

She recalled treating coronavirus patients who at first "look totally fine" until lab tests show "they are basically on fire on the inside."

"Their heart, their lungs, their blood vessels, you know, their kidneys, it really does affect all the organs," Kass explained. "There will be evidence of this having really detrimental effects on the body."

One recent study from the U.K. found troubling signs of "brain complications" in severe coronavirus patients — and while the complications were more likely to result in a stroke in older people, younger people also showed signs of confusion and newly-diagnosed psychiatric conditions. 

A number of recent studies have found the virus may cause an acute inflammatory response in the heart, increased blood clotting and cardiac problems. 

"We see now, in the heart, that there may be long-standing effects of the inflammation and scarring that occurs after having this virus." 

Kass said "residual symptoms" may emerge in patients who have battled the illness for weeks or months.

"It may not affect you for a long period of time," she said, warning that some patients currently in their 30s and 40s "will be dealing with this for probably the next 20 or 30 years."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/30/health/diamond-princess-coronavirus-aerosol.html

"Aboard the Diamond Princess, a Case Study shows Aerosol Transmission of SARS-coV-2: Study finds that the virus spread most readily in microscopic droplets that were light enough to float in the air, for several minutes or much longer."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/dr-fauci-recommends-wearing-goggles-to-prevent-catching-the-coronavirus-2020-07-29

"But a recent report published in The Lancet that analyzed 172 observational studies on how physical distancing, face masks and eye protection affected the spread of COVID-19 suggested that people could be three times less likely to get infected if they wear eye protection. Face shields, goggles and glasses were associated with a lower risk of infection (6%) compared with no eye covering (16%)."

Really, there's aerosol and airborne transmission of this, so while a mask isn't even necessarily 100% protection, it is the VERY LEAST you should do, in addition to social distancing and avoiding crowds and gatherings as much as possible.

And no, Madonna's ignorant attitude to this overshadows everything else she is currently doing.  This pandemic may end up killing more people than a world war by the end.  We're literally in the middle of the 1918 Spanish Flu in the 21st century and there is no excuse to not take it seriously.  There's no unnecessary socializing that is worth risking killing other people for.

Careful with official studies. They are working full throttle on treatments and vaccines and sharing all info. For the first time, studies are being published without peer review. Of course the official sources are the only things we have but it seems that many papers are being published without enough trials, time and reviews. 

19 hours ago, karbatal said:

They are very well behaved. It's simply that the rules are soooooo relaxed

I have another theory too: that countries like Germany maybe are more efficient with new hot spots. That may be another reason. But really, if they have suddenly more cases from people coming home from the holidays and they don't get high number of infections, then I really don't understand this virus AT ALL

I see

I don't get this virus either. But I think that's exactly the reason why people should be more cautious, not knowing your enemy is the worst

1 hour ago, Kim said:

Predictably, parts of England go back into lockdown after a spike in cases. No surprise when they opened up again FAR TOO SOON.

:thumbsup:

Pathetic really

Just as pathetic as the UK government's attempts to make it look like they are doing anything tangible for the population and comparing it to mainland Europe and "spikes there" as if they've handled the situation better when in fact it's the total opposite. Complete mess. When I listen to any minister from this government speak I feel like vomiting at the lies and pretence

A couple of weeks ago I was watching BBC Victoria Darbyshire asking some more pressing questions to a member of government, the only BBC journalist I've come across doing so. Generally the BBC is very clumsily supportive of this government which in the evidence of the truth seen everywhere from mainland Europe is rather bizarre

7 hours ago, karbatal said:

Careful with official studies. They are working full throttle on treatments and vaccines and sharing all info. For the first time, studies are being published without peer review. Of course the official sources are the only things we have but it seems that many papers are being published without enough trials, time and reviews. 

:thumbsup:

Besides there are HUGE financial interests behind all of it not to mention geopolitical strategizing etc. A little dose of wariness is of the essence

28 minutes ago, XXL said:

:thumbsup:Just as pathetic as the UK government's attempts to make it look like they are doing anything tangible for the population and comparing it to mainland Europe and "spikes there" as if they've handled the situation better when in fact it's the total opposite. Complete mess. When I listen to any minister from this government speak I feel like vomiting at the lies and pretence

A couple of weeks ago I was watching BBC Victoria Darbyshire asking some more pressing questions to a member of government, the only BBC journalist I've come across doing so. Generally the BBC is very clumsily supportive of this government which in the evidence of the truth seen everywhere from mainland Europe is rather bizarre

The Victoria Derbyshire show has been axed funnily enough. The news arm of the BBC is chock full of Tories and government appointed officials. No one should watch the BBC for news. What was once a public service broadcaster is now a state controlled broadcaster. Watch Channel 4 news if you must, but even that has its own neo-liberal issues in it's reportage.

On Corona, any Brit should probably watch NIcola Sturgeon's daily briefing to get the proper grown-up advice (the UK govt cancelled its briefings weeks ago) and follow THIS account - 

Denmark is currently registering its highest number of new coronavirus cases since mid-May, mainly due to a local outbreak at one particular meat processing plant.

Meanwhile, Danish health authorities just extended their recommendations for the use of face masks in certain situations. Danes are now recommended to wear face masks on public transport during rush hour or on tightly packed buses, trains and ferries. 

Additionally, Danish health authorities recommending using masks when travelling home from areas considered high-risk or on the way to being tested for coronavirus.

Airports are the only places in Denmark where face masks are required.

6 hours ago, Kim said:

The Victoria Derbyshire show has been axed funnily enough. The news arm of the BBC is chock full of Tories and government appointed officials. No one should watch the BBC for news. What was once a public service broadcaster is now a state controlled broadcaster. Watch Channel 4 news if you must, but even that has its own neo-liberal issues in it's reportage.

On Corona, any Brit should probably watch NIcola Sturgeon's daily briefing to get the proper grown-up advice (the UK govt cancelled its briefings weeks ago) and follow THIS account - 

What about ITV news. When I lived in the Sussex Region for my postgraduate studies, I sort of found them to be somewhat fair/balanced, no?

12 minutes ago, Cyber-Raga said:

What about ITV news. When I lived in the Sussex Region for my postgraduate studies, I sort of found them to be somewhat fair/balanced, no?

Well Channel 4 news is actually produced by ITN (the news division of ITV) 

ITV's own news is kinda the safe parochial big brother that doesn't have much of an opinion on anything and isn't very investigative, but it's not corrupt like Sky and the BBC.

5 minutes ago, Kim said:

Well Channel 4 news is actually produced by ITN (the news division of ITV) 

ITV's own news is kinda the safe parochial big brother that doesn't have much of an opinion on anything and isn't very investigative, but it's not corrupt like Sky and the BBC.

👍

15 hours ago, Msig said:

Denmark is currently registering its highest number of new coronavirus cases since mid-May, mainly due to a local outbreak at one particular meat processing plant.

Meanwhile, Danish health authorities just extended their recommendations for the use of face masks in certain situations. Danes are now recommended to wear face masks on public transport during rush hour or on tightly packed buses, trains and ferries. 

Additionally, Danish health authorities recommending using masks when travelling home from areas considered high-risk or on the way to being tested for coronavirus.

Airports are the only places in Denmark where face masks are required.

It's astonishing, to say the least, that masks weren't mandatory in public transport until now. 

Meanwhile masks were mandatory in transport and indoors public spaces in Spain since the beginning (since we had enough masks) and now on the street and yet we have so many cases again. 

I'm sorry but next time anybody tells me how good other countries handle the pandemic I will laugh out loud

7 hours ago, karbatal said:

It's astonishing, to say the least, that masks weren't mandatory in public transport until now. 

Meanwhile masks were mandatory in transport and indoors public spaces in Spain since the beginning (since we had enough masks) and now on the street and yet we have so many cases again. 

I'm sorry but next time anybody tells me how good other countries handle the pandemic I will laugh out loud

From the very start of the Covid-19 pandemic, Danish health authorities have actually advised the general public against wearing face masks in public, mainly because there was no evidence that doing has an effect on transmission of the virus.

And that's the main reason why the general public isn't required to wear face masks in Denmark, apart from airports, and why wearing face masks is recommended only in certain situations.

The measures that seem to have had the biggest effect in Denmark are the physical distancing requirements, the ban on mass gatherings, and of course maintaining good hand hygiene.

1 hour ago, Msig said:

From the very start of the Covid-19 pandemic, Danish health authorities have actually advised the general public against wearing face masks in public, mainly because there was no evidence that doing has an effect on transmission of the virus.

And that's the main reason why the general public isn't required to wear face masks in Denmark, apart from airports, and why wearing face masks is recommended only in certain situations.

The measures that seem to have had the biggest effect in Denmark are the physical distancing requirements, the ban on mass gatherings, and of course maintaining good hand hygiene.

I'm very sorry but I do think we are for a big surprise once we know how this virus really works. All those measures were mandatory in Spain since April/ May and since June positives are rising like crazy. It makes absolutely no sense

On 7/31/2020 at 3:59 PM, Kim said:

I have followed the axing case. She was quite upset, rightly so. She pointed out that it was the BBC itself that asked her to enlarge their digital audience and she did and that she broke thought provoking stories etc. Thanks for the advice on channel 4

I've watched Channel 4 for a while, until their Apple Tv app stopped working. I liked their reports a lot. They focused for example a lot on the stabbing and problematic with young people and gangs. They had interesting experts many times too! 

I have cut out all people out of my life who refuse to follow simple rules which are supposed to prevent or at least slow down the spread of this virus. 
Public gatherings without social distancing and / or wearing masks, saying the hopefully soon existing vaccine will be an attempt by the government to brainwash and control you. I simply refuse to interact with these folks anymore, no matter if they are close friends or even family.