COVID-19 aka Coronavirus

Crux

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-24/brendan-murphy-on-donald-trump-coronavirus-inject-disinfectant/12182578

Australia's top doctor advises against injecting disinfectant to treat coronavirus, as suggested by Donald Trump

Usually straitlaced and solemn in his delivery of up-to-the-minute health advice, Australia's Chief Medical Officer stifled giggles when asked about US President Donald Trump's latest suggested treatments for coronavirus.

Key points:

• Donald Trump suggested injecting disinfectant to cure coronavirus
  • Brendan Murphy has warned against the method
  • The United States has the most confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the world

Flanked by doctors in the White House's press briefing room, Mr Trump cited US Government research suggesting coronavirus could be killed off more quickly when exposed to sunlight, heat and humidity, and is destroyed altogether when hit by disinfectants.

"So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous, whether it's ultraviolet or just very powerful light, and I think you said that has not been checked but you're going to test it," he said turning to some of the medical professionals present at the press conference.

"And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way.

"And I think you said you're going to test that, too, sounds interesting.

"Right, and then I see the disinfectant, it knocks it out in a minute, one minute and is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning, cause you see it gets on the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."

Space to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek, up and down arrows for volume

Across the other side of the Pacific, Australia's Chief Medical Officer, Brendan Murphy, was asked for his clinical advice on such a novel treatment.

"I would caution against the injection of disinfection [sic]!" he said as he visibly stifled a laugh.

"They could be quite toxic to people."

Professor Murphy, somewhat diplomatically, placed some caveats around his response.

"I wasn't privy to [Mr Trump's] comments, so I want to be very careful about commenting on something that I didn't hear myself.

"And ultraviolet light — I don't know the context in which he said it, so I really would need to study it before I could comment, thank you."

0 20 40 60 80 Days since the 100th case 1 10 100 1k 10k

Australia's infection rate is considerably lower than in many other countries, including the United States.

Professor Murphy was asked whether Australian authorities believed the nation had seen the worst of the coronavirus outbreak, and whether they could ever foresee circumstances when the number of cases skyrocketed in a similar way to what has been seen in Europe and the US.

"We have never been in that situation and we have no intention of being in that situation," he said.

"I can't be 100 per cent sure, we don't know everything about this virus.

"But I can tell you we're going to be as prepared as we can to prevent that happening."

I can't believe American voted for this joker. :megamanson:

Trump suggests 'injection' of disinfectant to beat coronavirus and 'clean' the lungs
A Homeland Security official, under questioning from reporters, later said federal laboratories are not considering such a treatment option.

April 24, 2020, 7:18 AM +08 / Updated April 24, 2020, 9:20 AM +08
By Dartunorro Clark
President Donald Trump suggested the possibility of an "injection" of disinfectant into a person infected with the coronavirus as a deterrent to the virus during his daily briefing Thursday.

Trump made the remark after Bill Bryan, who leads the Department of Homeland Security's science and technology division, gave a presentation on research his team has conducted that shows that the virus doesn't live as long in warmer and more humid temperatures. Bryan said, "The virus dies quickest in sunlight," leaving Trump to wonder whether you could bring the light "inside the body."

"So supposing we hit the body with a tremendous — whether it's ultraviolet or just a very powerful light — and I think you said that hasn't been checked because of the testing," Trump said, speaking to Bryan during the briefing. "And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or some other way, and I think you said you're going to test that, too."

He added: "I see the disinfectant that knocks it out in a minute, one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning? As you see, it gets in the lungs, it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it would be interesting to check that."

He didn't specify the kind of disinfectant.

Medical professionals, including Dr. Vin Gupta, a pulmonologist, global health policy expert and an NBC News and MSNBC contributor. were quick to challenge the president's "improper health messaging."

“This notion of injecting or ingesting any type of cleansing product into the body is irresponsible and it’s dangerous," said Gupta. "It’s a common method that people utilize when they want to kill themselves."

The president has repeatedly touted unproven treatments during the daily briefings on COVID-19, the disease associated with the coronavirus. For instance, he has touted hydroxychloroquine as a potential "game changer," but health officials have strongly cautioned against it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-suggests-injection-disinfectant-beat-coronavirus-clean-lungs-n1191216

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-suggests-injection-disinfectant-beat-coronavirus-clean-lungs-n1191216

I don't doubt for a second that the people of Arizona would be stupid enough to do that, but it's fake news. There is no such beach in Arizona, a state that does not touch the ocean or any major lake.

4 hours ago, horn said:

I can't believe American voted for this joker. :megamanson:

Trump suggests 'injection' of disinfectant to beat coronavirus and 'clean' the lungs

It's on worldwide news headlines now.

My mom, who's hardly interested in politics, was :manson: at his stupidity when she saw the clip played during local news.

The sad part is his supporters are trying to defend him saying he's not an medical expert blah blah blah

I mean you DON'T need to be a medical expert to know poison is not meant for consumption. :rolleyes: 

13 minutes ago, runa said:

That doctor is not reacting. She's been defending Trump these past days. She's equally guilty. Or even more guilty, because she is the expert. How long can these people go for money??????

1 hour ago, Martin B. said:

I don't doubt for a second that the people of Arizona would be stupid enough to do that, but it's fake news. There is no such beach in Arizona, a state that does not touch the ocean or any major lake.

:rotfl: 

yeah, I was like, are there beaches in Arizona :chuckle: 

1 hour ago, karbatal said:

That doctor is not reacting. She's been defending Trump these past days. She's equally guilty. Or even more guilty, because she is the expert. How long can these people go for money??????

You can clearly see, in her face, she thinks he's dumb as fuck. 
But yeah... money talks. 

47 minutes ago, karbatal said:

For the money, the visibility and the proximity of power, too many experts these days are ready to plug their nose and lose all credibility.

1 hour ago, karbatal said:

Her doctor license needs to be revoked.

34 minutes ago, karbatal said:

What the fuck is wrong with people!? ?  Londoners gathering to clap for the health workers? Is the world gone crazy? 

no one wearing a mask no one social distancing good luck

33 minutes ago, FreeMySoul said:

no one wearing a mask no one social distancing good luck

And surrounded by authorities and NHS workers. I think maybe there's something wrong with the video????

2 hours ago, karbatal said:

What the fuck is wrong with people!? ?  Londoners gathering to clap for the health workers? Is the world gone crazy? 

That's why the infection rate & death rate keep climbing.

These people will be next.

As a teacher if I did 1% of what he did or said, I would have been fired and sued. 

Hillary received 2.8 million more popular votes than Trump. Hence, most American's did not want Trump but due to electoral college he won. When I was in Italy in August 2016 we all talked about how we loved Hillary. 

Peoples reactions towards dealing with COVID-19 really shows peoples true colors, however a lot of Trump supporters refuse to see it!

8 hours ago, runa said:

[Trump is] so attentive to the scientific literature & the details & the data. I think his ability to analyze & integrate data that comes out of his long history in business has really been a real benefit. :megamanson:

7 hours ago, horn said:

The context makes it much worse, which is why they quickly ditched this line of defense and switched to "It was all a joak, it was just sarcasm bruh."