Madame X album general discussion

6 minutes ago, vertigokane said:

Madame X is to Madonna’s discography what Tusk is to Fleetwood Mac’s, or the White Album to the Beatles. Diverse and experimental. 

And Boys for Pele to Tori Amos 

One of the only improvements could’ve been Madonna wearing the X eyepatch on a front cover. Just as she had the face wires for RH, the eyepatch is her iconic statement for this era. But that’s just a minor comment from me, the music rocks.

13 minutes ago, Illuminati said:

I just saw that the vinyl has the wrong track listing. It says that Future is track 4 on side A, but it's actually track 1 on side B. 

It's correctly listed in the rainbow picture disc. Haven't received the other though.

It’s not even 10 am on a Sunday morning and I’ve already listened to the entire album twice today. And I probably won’t stop all day. This album is almost too good for words. It gets better with each spin an I discover more and more details in this amazing production. It’s so different, daring and divers that I just can’t get over it. This is Madonna at her absolute best! A masterpiece in the 4th decade of her career. Breathtaking. 

Okay... I am letting all sink in. I was out of the city, had a busy past 3 or 4 days, and had to unwind before getting my head into M's new work. So I finally got to listen to MX. Or, more like I am just going through it. First impressions:

The run from Future to Extreme Occident (maybe include Faz Gostoso here too) is  where MX's heart is. It's full of intricate sounds, with an amazing mix of rhythms. Percussions are MX's structure, it's all about that beat, it just drags the listener throughout a journey. No, MX is by no means coherent in the ROL or AL or COAD sense, this is different. She's experimenting with many things here, and there's no polishing. The voice distortion thing is not annoying, it's done right I think.

This her most dance (or rhythmic is perhaps a better word choice?) record in a while. No, there's no damn disco stomper or any typical Euro or Anglo club hit (and I am extremely grateful for that, to be honest). This is dark, sweaty, underground latin club, sensual dancing. There's a sense of abandonment in some tracks, of letting go and mesh into the rhythm (I don't search I find, for example, or Come Alive). It is also amazing how this same sense of losing sense into the music connects with messages of change and hope (Batuka).

The gist of MX, as I see/listen it, is of loss and finding, of holding on to sanity despite feeling hopeless. Extreme Occident, Come Alive, and I don't search I find (together with Future) are the standouts for me. But also loving Batuka, Crazy, Killers..., and also Medellin and Crave. Dark Ballet feels more like a mood piece, a statement and not a song. Not into I Rise and God Control.

I feel like MX will be one of my favorite albums of hers. It's amazing that, after all this years, I can still be pleasantly surprised by her musical output. She has an amazing album in her hands. I hope she releases at least two more singles/videos out of MX, the album deserves exposure. 

13 minutes ago, Je5u5 said:

It's correctly listed in the rainbow picture disc. Haven't received the other though.

Saw this on Twitter. It's wrong there, too. Are there different Rainbow Discs? 

4 minutes ago, Illuminati said:

Saw this on Twitter. It's wrong there, too. Are there different Rainbow Discs? 

Looks like it.1560672257060484106045971046571.jpg

5 hours ago, Shane said:

I honestly feel bad for the people buying a physical copy at any store other than Target and not having a clue that they are missing two gems.  The blonde cover is obviously the true album that represents Madonna’s vision, as it is the only one available on Spotify (at least in USA).  Also it was the version serviced to reviewers.

Yes, but the standard vinyl has 15 tracks and the stitched mouth cover. I totally agree about Extreme Occident and Looking For Mercy being essential for Madame X.

8 hours ago, poprock said:

I can't stop listening to Medellín! It blows my mind that it wasn't a more successful single. 

Yes i find that strange too. Medellin has written summer smash all over.

6 hours ago, Shane said:

I honestly feel bad for the people buying a physical copy at any store other than Target and not having a clue that they are missing two gems.  The blonde cover is obviously the true album that represents Madonna’s vision, as it is the only one available on Spotify (at least in USA).  Also it was the version serviced to reviewers.

The true album is the one with 15 tracks, but the real cover is the Standard. Her best cover ever.

1 hour ago, Wunderkind said:

It’s not even 10 am on a Sunday morning and I’ve already listened to the entire album twice today. And I probably won’t stop all day. This album is almost too good for words. It gets better with each spin an I discover more and more details in this amazing production. It’s so different, daring and divers that I just can’t get over it. This is Madonna at her absolute best! A masterpiece in the 4th decade of her career. Breathtaking. 

Absolutely right.

A masterpiece!

49 minutes ago, Icykiller said:

Okay... I am letting all sink in. I was out of the city, had a busy past 3 or 4 days, and had to unwind before getting my head into M's new work. So I finally got to listen to MX. Or, more like I am just going through it. First impressions:

The run from Future to Extreme Occident (maybe include Faz Gostoso here too) is  where MX's heart is. It's full of intricate sounds, with an amazing mix of rhythms. Percussions are MX's structure, it's all about that beat, it just drags the listener throughout a journey. No, MX is by no means coherent in the ROL or AL or COAD sense, this is different. She's experimenting with many things here, and there's no polishing. The voice distortion thing is not annoying, it's done right I think.

This her most dance (or rhythmic is perhaps a better word choice?) record in a while. No, there's no damn disco stomper or any typical Euro or Anglo club hit (and I am extremely grateful for that, to be honest). This is dark, sweaty, underground latin club, sensual dancing. There's a sense of abandonment in some tracks, of letting go and mesh into the rhythm (I don't search I find, for example, or Come Alive). It is also amazing how this same sense of losing sense into the music connects with messages of change and hope (Batuka).

The gist of MX, as I see/listen it, is of loss and finding, of holding on to sanity despite feeling hopeless. Extreme Occident, Come Alive, and I don't search I find (together with Future) are the standouts for me. But also loving Batuka, Crazy, Killers..., and also Medellin and Crave. Dark Ballet feels more like a mood piece, a statement and not a song. Not into I Rise and God Control.

I feel like MX will be one of my favorite albums of hers. It's amazing that, after all this years, I can still be pleasantly surprised by her musical output. She has an amazing album in her hands. I hope she releases at least two more singles/videos out of MX, the album deserves exposure. 

Amen to your review! I like that you pointed out the visceral tracks of the album, which for me plays to the emotive strengths of Madonna as both vocalist and storyteller.  If I may add, tracks 2 - 6 are the more celebral ones: social commentaries and conversation starters from an artist who refuses to mute her powerful voice.

This is definitively her best album this decade. More experimental and edgy than i thought it'd be. It's been on repeat for me since it came out, i just know it's the kind of album i won't ever be tired of. Madonna did it once again!

I'm still in shock, i can't even write a "review".

I knew she still got it, never ever doubted it, but this.....this is too much. I don't know how she does it, Madame X is a 10/10 masterpiece.

Posted those on the "YouTube reactions" thread as well, but people have been posting reaction videos on the internet, and I find interesting to see what people other than us big fans think of it.

1 minute ago, Django said:

No.

Agree with you. The standard is easily up there with some of her most stunning covers. True Blue, Erotica. I guarantee that if Madonna had a Hung Up sized hit with this album, the image would be among her most iconic and recognizable for years to come. MDNA cover too. 

1 hour ago, Jim34 said:

Absolutely right.

A masterpiece!

Exactly my feelings. My hubby is not a Madonna fan but he loves the album as well. It an example of how touching and universal this album is. I am blown away  by this album

If I had to describe this album, I would say that Madame X is melancholically festive, as a reflection of her artist, Madonna seems happy and yet we also feel loneliness, this dichotomy makes the album unique.

1 hour ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

Agree with you. The standard is easily up there with some of her most stunning covers. True Blue, Erotica. I guarantee that if Madonna had a Hung Up sized hit with this album, the image would be among her most iconic and recognizable for years to come. MDNA cover too. 

Absolutely

1 hour ago, Moonray said:

Can't stop thinking about it and listening to it.... never been so obsessed !

I wish we could get a big card, signed by all the fans here, and present it to M, thanking her for this amazing album. 

8 hours ago, bardo said:

i agree about the album as a whole but i love body shop. the vocals and production are great. it's a precursor to come alive. and i think the lyrics are cute/clever.

Rebel Heart: A disjointed heretic temple with many enjoyable spots but many problematic ones too

Madame X: A heavenly, captivating church with very little flaws

:smoke: :smile: 

My #1 favorite is Ray of Light, but The Perfect Album to me is Music. That 5+5 combo is without any fault.