"Back That Up to the Beat" Thread

23 hours ago, the-queen said:

It’s much better this way for sure. The songs are the songs. 

I like BDay Song. 🤣

why ? lol its quite possibly the only song of madonnas i hate and wish never happened ...i mean ..queen should have replaced it ...silly album choice silly song ...

16 minutes ago, fuzzydream said:

why ? lol its quite possibly the only song of madonnas i hate and wish never happened ...i mean ..queen should have replaced it ...silly album choice silly song ...

It’s feelgood, fun and harmless. I like the momentum it gathers as well.

This version has really grown on me, too! (I never really cared for the demo very much.) I like it mostly because of the world music vibe and the way the vocals are chopped up and repeated. I'm also very fond of hearing her sing "i'll be wearing diamond grills and seeking thrills a lot" because it's a line that only she can really get away with singing because everybody knows it's the damn truth. :lol: The sparse use of the "do it" refrain is also a definite improvement. (The way it repeated on the demo was severely grating.)

I never have and probably never will come around to liking Birthday Song. I remember hearing Madonna talk about recording the "Like a Prayer" album and she said that one day she and Pat decided they were going to write a really crap song just to get it out of their system. This sounds like something she would come up when she's really trying to lay a turd (metaphorically speaking.)

4 hours ago, Shaun said:

I also like B-Day Song. Reminds me of her work with Breakfast Club. It’s very 1970s.

Plus it's a perfect song to play on yours or her birthday (which is coming up in 2 weeks!).

On 6/18/2019 at 12:57 PM, Shaun said:

Reading threads like this makes me so relieved we heard zero Madame X demos

We heard a Back That Up demo though :chuckle:

3 hours ago, sillynate said:

That was @Shaun‘s point... this is the only song connected to the project which suffers from the “I prefer the demo” effect which plagued Rebel Heart.

55 minutes ago, peter said:

That was @Shaun‘s point... this is the only song connected to the project which suffers from the “I prefer the demo” effect which plagued Rebel Heart.

👍🏻

6 hours ago, sillynate said:

Agreed. You're only supposed to like album versions and not any demos. "bUt HeR ViSiOn!!?!":chuckle: It's like listen to whichever one you want and prefer. The policing of "You must only like final versions" is absurd.

13 minutes ago, dylanciccone_ said:

Agreed. You're only supposed to like album versions and not any demos. "bUt HeR ViSiOn!!?!":chuckle: It's like listen to whichever one you want and prefer. The policing of "You must only like final versions" is absurd.

My post wasn’t intended to criticize anyone’s opinions, either way. The point was that 17 of 18 Madame X tracks have no “alternate versions” to compare/contrast. “Back That Up to the Beat” is the only one that has to live in the shadow of a previous iteration. 

We as fans may enjoy them (the demos), but the fact is, they weren’t meant to be heard before she released her work officially. @VogueMusic explained it well earlier. Not everyone is trying to be judgmental about it — and even the ones that are can’t stop the ones who prefer the demos from listening to them. So where’s the harm?

On 7/31/2019 at 11:07 AM, dylanciccone_ said:

Point taken however there are instances where she backtracked and went and changed final versions of her own works to release something new. She even went on record saying her preferred version of Living For Love was a demo. People can like demos or final versions. It's this "Oh well, I prefer the final version, her TRUE VISION" holier complex some people tout that is annoying. Personally I like the production on the new one and vocals from the demo so to me, win win with two versions of the same song.

I agree with this ...

For example, I love the demo of “Inside Out,” and I think the final version is one of my top ten faves of all time from M. (The album version did have to work to grow on me, though, because my brain had become addicted to the demo version.)

And I enjoy that we have a treasure trove of tracks that were never released. AND I can even appreciate demos that I think are inferior (Holy Water quickly comes to mind) — even if the final version isn’t my fave, it’s interesting to hear the evolution that happens through the songwriting and production processes.

With all that said, I can’t fault Madonna for being upset about how things went down in late 2014, which caused massive injury to her roll-out strategy and timeline.

2 hours ago, dylanciccone_ said:

No one's actually saying that, though.

Everytime I listen to this song and Funana I go back listening to this live version of Café Europa...love them all , they give me good brotherhood vibes

Edited by idro

On 8/2/2019 at 5:01 PM, peter said:

He said we heard zero MX demos... but we’ve heard one :naughty:

1 hour ago, sillynate said:

He said we heard zero MX demos... but we’ve heard one :naughty:

Well ... but the DEMO was really from Rebel Heart recording sessions. But I see your point — that Back That Up to the Beat has been released officially as a Madame X bonus track.

Still stand by the statement, though, that all the songs recorded during the Madame X recording sessions were spared the fate of almost all RH songs (except Ghosttown?). Back That Up was recorded earlier, and that’s why it suffers from the RH curse. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/23/2019 at 9:11 PM, Illuminati said:

This is such a banger, I totally love it! Was really surprised how it turned out, but I dig it!

On 8/2/2019 at 6:24 AM, Voguerista said:

I can't say I was crazy on this song at first but I love it now. 

I have been devoting a fair amount of time to this song and I agree with the quoted posts above. This is a hidden gem and I find value in every single Madame X track. There is no such thing as a bad song on this album. Time is only showing just how much Madonna nailed it. The beats and the chorus repetition is damn catchy. 

On 9/1/2019 at 8:59 PM, dylanciccone_ said:

The way (FatMan Scoop?) sample comes out of nowhere.

Is that the guy who says “now drop” before Madge goes “rat tat tat tat” ???

19 hours ago, Flip The Switch said:

A blasphemy attached to the wonderful work of Madame X. 

This isn't the Funana thread.