Who was the First Black Madonna?

Guest Pud Whacker

Whitney was an original, but I think allmusic.com has Madonna down as one of her influences, as does Mariah.. they emerged at exactly the same time and her and Mimi's uptempo fare could resemble Madonna (although she certainly didn't invent dance pop or was ground breaking musically when she first came out).

Here are two fabulous predecessors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbYVz1wAIsU

Guest Pud Whacker

I love Josephine. And I never expect a topic to stay on ever. But the black madonna comes after madonna. Not before. There are elements everywhere!!!

yes, started as a dancer on soul train. then Shalamar. involved in fashion, had street cred. so much, in fact, i believe she was the only american(?) invited to Band Aid Do They Know Its Christmas.

Kool and the Gang were there too.

I'm telling you all, it was Cheyne! Apparently, her song Call Me Mr. Telephone started getting heavy spins by DJ Mark Kamins at Danceteria. The video was filmed at Danceteria and featured some regulars....much like Everybody. The songs biggest success was on the Dance chart. Plus she even sounds like Madonna and she sported a semi ragamuffin kind of image as well.

It's all about Queen Cheyne! Madonna HAD to step up her game in 1985 because of Ebony Queen Cheyne!!! :bow:

I'm telling you all, it was Cheyne! Apparently, her song Call Me Mr. Telephone started getting heavy spins by DJ Mark Kamins at Danceteria. The video was filmed at Danceteria and featured some regulars....much like Everybody. The songs biggest success was on the Dance chart. Plus she even sounds like Madonna and she sported a semi ragamuffin kind of image as well.

It's all about Queen Cheyne! Madonna HAD to step up her game in 1985 because of Ebony Queen Cheyne!!! :bow:

Yup and Cheyne was poised to be the black Madonna and did Into the Groove with Kamins before Madonna snatched it back off her.

She's now a country singer living in London. She was a little snippy to me on youtube, insisting that she didn't like dance music and liked "real music" like The Clash and Los Lobos, as if I hadn't heard what "real music" was.

Hahahahahahah

You're nuts.

(Though i had the same fight with David Was after he said nasty things during Superbowl and i had to point out it all came from her not wanting "Shake your head" to be released with her vocals. He said that it did not matter since it was a worldwide smash and i had to show him the receipts : it was like top 20 in Japan. He stopped the conversation right there)

It was massive in the UK at the time. Wasn't it a hit in the US? It still gets played and is regarded as a nineties classic here.

As for Black Madonna...

JW had zero career in the UK apart from a couple of minor hits so it's JJ that's closest in terms of output. I know JJ isn't popular here but she is had a great run in the UK in comparison to many other artists.

I know Whitney was probably more successful but she was more of a one trick pony where as a least Janet could mime and dance!

Grace Jones is more avant garde I would say.

oh yeah and I forgot this

lady_gaga_spray_tan.jpg

Anyone citing Cheyne must think horribly of madonna. Nobody knows who she is.

Doesn't everyone know her here only because she was meant to be given Into The Groove but M kept it for herself?

Guest Pud Whacker

Doesn't everyone know her here only because she was meant to be given Into The Groove but M kept it for herself?

yeah exactly. when i say The Black Madonna i would think people would choose someone with some popularity. some influence. :rotfl:

• 2 weeks later...

Minnie Ripperton. Madonna has stolen much from her with very little credit.

Ivy, you are a scream. Minnie Ripperton 😂😆

So funny as I only heard her on the kitchen radio at work last week and was singing along to Loving you is easy cause you're beautiful. Luckily for me, nobody else heard me.

Why is it so hard for Madonna fans to recognize Janet Jackson in any way, shape, or form? Regardless of your personal opinion she had a huge presence on the radio, Mtv, and in pop culture in general. You ask any r&b star that's currently out there, Beyoncé, Rhianna, Ciara, and they'll say Madonna & Janet were a huge influence on them.

So, I say Janet. Hands down.

Donna Sunmer and Grace Jones are iconic as well.

Why is it so hard for Madonna fans to recognize Janet Jackson in any way, shape, or form? Regardless of your personal opinion she had a huge presence on the radio, Mtv, and in pop culture in general. You ask any r&b star that's currently out there, Beyoncé, Rhianna, Ciara, and they'll say Madonna & Janet were a huge influence on them.

So, I say Janet. Hands down.

Donna Sunmer and Grace Jones are iconic as well.

This!

In terms of longevity & impact on style/ trends/ culture, I'd have to say Mary J Blige.

What M is to POP, Mary is to R&B/ Hip Hop; she's essentially become the template for the younger bitches that came after her in that genre (Keyshia Cole, Faith Evans, Aaliyah, SWV, Total, Kelly Price, Ciara, K Michelle, Missy Elliot, post-1999 J.Lo & Mariah, etc.)

And like Madonna, she gets better with age. :wow:

052308_madonna_400X400.jpg